Kits you have built more than once

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see what I can remember:

A number of Alphas - I'd have to find 'em all to count them - including clones representing the original and first iteration of the K-25 (and a K-25 when I was in Jr. High a long long time ago), more recent kits, II (clone), III (several of these), IV, VI, two of the second model named Super Alpha (the BT-60-based one) and one Maxi Alpha 3.

I think I'm up to six Nova Payloaders (well, 7 including the 2.56x upscale based on a Partizon kit). Two were built for Classic Model at NARAM-60. The most recent one is unflown awaiting the retirement of the second-oldest one, which is now on flight 66.

Several BMS School Rockets.

Three Estes Star Orbiters.

Five or six Big Berthas (and two Babys). Two of these bear Vern Estes' signature and one is also signed by Gleda (Big Bertha build contest at NARAM-56). Two others were built with 24mm motor mounts.

Two Estes Eliminators (and one kitbashed into an Enerjet 1340 clone).

Four Semroc Aphelions (including two 1.6x upscales). One of the originals signed by Carl McLawhorn at NSL-2013.

Two Quest Astras.

Two Quest SuperBirds (one with a motor mount for the OOP Quest D5-6 motor - but which wasn't OOP at the time).

Two Estes Der Red Maxes (one standard, one Mega).

Three Estes Goblins (one original kit long ago, one Semroc and one Estes re-release). I also built a Goony Goblin from an Baby Bertha kit.

Two K-31 Estes Star Blazers - an original for shorty motors long ago and a clone for 13mm motors more recently, using Semroc laser-cut fins.

Three or four Estes Scouts from the Semroc Golden Scout kit. One of these signed by Vern Estes.

Multiples of several competition models including my B Cluster Altitude model (five so far), the Estes Mini-A Heli (three so far), Fliskits Cougar 660 (and clones - four so far), Apogee Midge and clones (you could say six - but I'm reusing the payload sections from models 3 and 4 on models 5 and 6). Two J&H Aerospace Aleda-R boost gliders. Two J&H Aerospace Mini Windlance boost gliders. In general I build competition models two at a time.

I'm sure there are others but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Of these the ones that fall into the "replacement for no-longer flyable" models as asked about in the OP are probably the second and sixth Nova Payloaders (the latter in anticipation of retiring the currently active one), the second Star Orbiter (after the first one badly damaged by a CATO), at least one of the Big Berthas (again, CATO), the second Eliminator after the first one was worn out/damaged during retrieval from a tree, the second regular-sized Aphelion after the first one was signed by Carl, then crashed and repaired enough to put on display. Replacement build also applies to at least two of the BMS School Rockets.

Last edited:
Estes Mercury Redstone.

And I’ve got a a Fliskits Acme Spitfire waiting for the moment when my current one is no longer flight worthy.

2 LOC Goblins. The first one suffered a slight body tube problem... I tried, but it wouldn't buff out. And I was out of duct tape...
291649-2a0e87b8e12520fe266bf28d1b75b4c9.jpg

And the replacement with the color flip. Toaster for bread, not motors...
img_1062-jpg.381783

Hmmmm
Lots of Alphas, Berthas for me and teaching others.
8 or 9 versions of home built crayons.
2 or 3 Orbital Transports.
A few Scouts.
3 Sprites.
I am on my 3rd T-Bird. An upscale version of the Centuri kit.
Multiple Estes and Centuri versions of the V-2. Maybe 6 of them.
Small and large scale Honest Johns.
About 10 versions of the Estes Streak.
The 2.6 and 4 inch versions were home built. 2.6" Streak is my most dependable rocket.
I am sure there are others.

I cant really remember I build kits twice quite often. Sometimes I will order two of the kits, build the first one and have some insights for a 'better' build on the next one.

I do remember building a couple of Big Berthas. I just love the way they fly. One of them I had so many flights on it the engine mount gave way and the engine shot up through the tube popping out the top along with the chute and wadding and spun around a little smoked and popped it's ejection charge :)

Next one I built I used JB weld on the engine mount and rings ;)

2 Estes Mercury Redstones
2 Aerotech G-Forces, both died on their first flights
The original Goblin was the second rocket I built as a kid, wish I still had it, the Citation Patriot survived two moves between two states:
DSC_0051.JPG

An original Alpha 3 with plastic fins and nose cone, my scratch upscale Alpha 3, and a Maxi Alpha 3, fins and nose painted blue for something different:
DSC_0052.JPG

One Der Red Max and Mega Red Max, one original sized Goblin and Loc 4" Goblin:
DSC_0053.JPG

The basic parts for a scratch upscale of the Estes Challenger, which was my very first rocket. My scratch version has a hand rolled fiberglass body tube, aircraft grade plywood fins and a hand cut foam cored fiberglass covered nose cone. The only things in the airframe not hand made will be the recovery system and the motor mount tube:
DSC_0055.JPG

Alpha and Scout. Scout was the first rocket kit I ever had and I buggered it horribly because I wasn't old enough yet. Never finished, never flew. Years later I built and flew another but it got lost in moves somewhere along the way. A few years ago I built a Semroc version for nostalgia and I still have it though it's never flown.

Centuri Micron and Snipe Hunter.
Estes semi-scale V-2 , Maxi-Brute V-2, Maxi-Brute HoJo, Mercury Redstone, and Nike Apache.
Fliskits Tartar.
Vaughn Bros. Spudnik (blown apart or destroyed by some tyke).
Odd'll Rockets Sputnik Too (Same issues).
Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk
Ton Noteboom Apollo Little Joe II
TLP Scud B
MPC/Quest Nike Smoke

Built lots and lots of Honest John's in all shapes and sizes. Strangely, I've also built multiple versions of several of the older Centuri kits such as Two-Bitz, Bandito, Vector V, etc. Love those kits (then and now).

Boyce Aerospace Demi-John Missile Parts.png

Most of my stuff is scratch built, but I can't count all of the Alphas and Alpha III's I've built. The most recent was an Alpha VI a couple of weeks ago.

Also the K-11 WAC corporal. As soon as one was lost, wrecked or just worn out a new one replaced it!

Aerotech HV Arcas is also a favorite; I have two in the fleet right now, one kit-built the other cloned with fins from Aerotech.

Back