Key Chain Cam Payloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My son bought me a couple of those key chain cams to strap-on to my rockets so I can get in-flight video. I was wondering, how do you guys who have used one secure it to your rocket, what have you found to be the minimum engine to have enough thrust to lift this safely, where do you position it, towards the front of the airframe or in the center? I'm really excited about getting out in some nice weather and trying one out. I always admire the in-flight video and have wondered what mine looked like from the same point of view.

Thanks for your time!

Steve

We use aluminum tape.

The smallest motor I have heard of being flown with a cam is a C.

Hey guys,

My son bought me a couple of those key chain cams to strap-on to my rockets so I can get in-flight video. I was wondering, how do you guys who have used one secure it to your rocket, what have you found to be the minimum engine to have enough thrust to lift this safely, where do you position it, towards the front of the airframe or in the center? I'm really excited about getting out in some nice weather and trying one out. I always admire the in-flight video and have wondered what mine looked like from the same point of view.

Thanks for your time!

Steve

Most folks just use electrical tape to tape it to the side of the rocket. Usually you want any cargo (like this) to go as far forward as possible, because that moves the center of gravity (CG) forward and thus increases stability. BUT, if the rocket is already "overstable" (IE four big fins, fins swept sharply back, which pushes the center of pressure (CP) far back on the rocket, giving it a wide stability margin, or if it's already rather nose-heavy rocket even with the largest motor it will take installed, which means the CG is far forward to start with) putting the camera on the front end of the tube will INCREASE the stability margin and make the rocket VERY prone to weathercocking in any kind of wind. This isn't a good thing, because the rocket will turn sharply into the wind at liftoff once it clears the rod. For a rocket like this, put the camera closer to the center, but don't go BEHIND the LOADED center of gravity (IE with the motor and wadding and recovery device installed, as it if were ready for flight (minus ignitor).

Putting the camera on the BACK of the rocket will move the CG AFT, which is destabilizing. So don't mount it behind the loaded CG unless you're CERTAIN the rocket will remain stable, or you add noseweight to the front of the rocket to keep the loaded CG location at the same place as without the camera.

As for power, it depends on the rocket. I've heard of folks flying these things on A or B motors, but from the vids I've seen of the flights, it's only a few seconds of very shaky footage... the rocket lifts off, as soon as it starts to stabilize where you can actually see something, the rocket is keeling over at apogee, then the chute comes out and the thing gyrates wildly during deployment and as soon as it stabilizes it's nearly back on the ground. IMHO the smallest motor you should bother with flying these on is a "C" motor...

I wouldn't go with a very small airframe rocket either (less than about BT-55) because the camera and tape will screw up the airflow over the rocket if you use a rocket with a BT-50 or 20 airframe and tends to make it fly rather squirrelly. The larger tube makes the camera proportionally smaller than the rocket and means it sits tighter against the tube, which means less airflow disturbance from the camera at the fins, which means better stability. Plus, a bigger rocket is proportionally longer too, giving greater moments of inertia and slower pitch and yaw rates when perturbed in flight, meaning a more stable picture in the video. (longer, larger, heavier rockets turn slower and take longer to "damp out" oscillations than smaller rockets, which can be quite "twitchy" in flight, which makes for poor video).

Hope this helps and good luck with your project! OL JR :)

3 strips of masking tape is what I've used ever since they came to market.

I've used B motors with no problems -> see my Youtube channel for examples.

I used electrical tape. I also made a little fairing out of tape. I'm not sure this accomplished anything, but it looked nice!

Rocket was a maxi alpha 3 with a d motor.

I mount mine w/electrical tape,prep it for launch,balance it on your finger,put the camera anywhere above that.Has worked for me every time..my 2 cents

I took about 1" of electrical tape and rolled it into a tube sticky side out. Applied that to the bottom of the camera. Stuck the camera to the side of our trusty Big Bertha rocket at just about the level of the shock cord mount under the nose cone, with the camera pointing down. Wrapped another piece of electrical tape over the camera and completely around the body tube. Loaded her with a B6-2 and let her fly.

Quick video here on YouTube..... https://youtu.be/wK15azONOH4

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! I like the fairing idea for the same reasons. I wondered about the body tube size. I wanted to try it out on a two stage and I have a couple of CC Express birds I could use. I also have a couple of big-bodied, 3 cluster rockets I'd like to try them out on. I'll post some videos if we ever get some rain and a day where the wind is less 40 mph and not blowing all of the top soil into Texas and Oklahoma.

Thanks guys!
Steve

Back