Kevalr and carbon Fibre

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James D

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just wandering, I play kayak Polo, and we use Kevlar boats, soo I have shed loads of kavlar Carbon Fibre of varing grades and epoxy resin used for fixing them when they get a bit worse for ware.

Now, I was think of using some of the finer stuff to strengthern the tail booms on my boost gliders. But, would the weight (of the epoxy and cloth) out weigh its usufulness? Or would it simly change the weakest spot on the taiol boom to another place? ie the weakspot is where the fin meets teh boom, kevlar here would strengthern it right?!But, the weakspot would now be where the kevlar joins teh unstrengthern boom?Catch my drift?

James D

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to by the boom, because i've never built a boost glider, but I can give you a limited answer.

Yes, you are changing where the weakest point is, provided the Kevlar gives you enough reinforcement (which I would imagine it will). However, the new weakest point will not be as weak as the old weakest point was. Even tanks have a weakest point, but it's a pretty strong weak point! :)

The point is that if you have a weak point, reinforce it. Unless weight or CG is a problem, you can't go wrong (I think). Of course, someone else may have a different thought on this*...

*note: if your weak point is on the glider, don't forget to redo your trimming.

Back