Just a scratch build- Spartan 1.6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
Well, I've been workin' on this little guy for a few days. I've had a bunch of Bt60 parts just lyin' around my house (got a mean machine from my friend) and decided to put some of em to good use. My original intent was to make a Bt60 "Talon" but I started playing around with fin patterns and decided to build something else. The "Spartan" was born. The NC that came with the mean machine is being used as a boat-tail and i'm using another Bt60 NC I had laying around for the pointy end. 3/32in basswood fins. 24mm engine mount.
I'm really liking this design so I'm drawing up plans for a 3in upscale for 38mm motors. Whether it actually turns into a reality is dependent on how much $$ I have.
I'll post more pics as I get more done.
20121025_202203.jpg

Fin can
20121025_202212.jpg

For paint, I was thinking Black and Orange - just because it's October.
Enjoy!

Alex

Wow, that is one awesome rocket!!

Would you mind posting fin templates?? If it's all right with you I would love to build myself one.

Here is the Open Rocket file.
View attachment Spartan1.6.ork
I didnt show the payload section in the photo. Imagine it being 6in longer.

Glad you like the design. I'm flattered that someone else would want to build one.
The front fins are TTW, the tail cone fins arn't.

Alex

Coat of Primer. Basswood finishes real nice.
Well, the cap on my orange broke today. Might go with yellow and black.
20121026_204055.jpg

Alex

Very nice!! Is this one of the ones you were talking about earlier? Looks kind of like a Velociraptor or whatever the thing from Binder Design is...

Yes, it's what we were talking about earlier.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. From one angle it also looks like a darkstar. It's a Talon inspired- velociraptor, darkstar, split fin thing.

Is it one of the new weird kind that you can't replace
It was the plastic part that was actually attached to the can. The part that connects to the nozzle. I'll try to bend it back.

Alex

It was the plastic part that was actually attached to the can. The part that connects to the nozzle. I'll try to bend it back.

Alex

Oh, well that sucks. :( Oh well, at least you still have a good-lookin' rocket!

EDIT: I took a look at the OR file, and I couldn't help but notice the long motor tube. We all know you want to fly it on a CTI G127. Sims to 3020 ft at mach 1.1. :y:
Can you say "shred"? :wink:

Last edited:
Here is the Open Rocket file.
View attachment 102436
I didnt show the payload section in the photo. Imagine it being 6in longer.

Glad you like the design. I'm flattered that someone else would want to build one.
The front fins are TTW, the tail cone fins arn't.

Alex

Thanks! I'll Post pics when I get mine done! (which probably wont be any time soon:rolleyes:)

Well, I fixed the orange can using needle nose pliers. Works just fine.

Got a coat of orange on 'er.

20121027_075756.jpg

20121027_075744.jpg

Sorry about the messy workshop.

Alex

Looking good Alex ,I like that "missile look".....very cool! Don`t you just love the Rustoleum 2X gloss "Real Orange" paint .I just used it on my upscale Flis TRES and could not be happier with the results.

Look forward to more pix

Take care

Paul T

Here is the plan with the decals: I cut letters out of masking tape, backed by wax paper, these will be applied to the orange. I'll paint the rocket and remove the masking tape. Hopefully, the orange will show through.

Before Cutting:
20121027_082457.jpg

During cutting:
20121027_082828.jpg

Alphabet soup:
20121027_083850.jpg

Alex

I was thinkin the G150 :wink:
View attachment 102492

Alex

:y: :surprised:
didn't know there was a G150! The G127 was the biggest 24mm CTI motor I could find in OR.
Can you say confetti? :wink:
Glad to see you got your orange fixed. I may have to pick up a can of that-- I have a build in the planning stages for which that orange would be just perfect!

Here is the plan with the decals: I cut letters out of masking tape, backed by wax paper, these will be applied to the orange. I'll paint the rocket and remove the masking tape. Hopefully, the orange will show through.

Before Cutting:
View attachment 102499

During cutting:
View attachment 102500

Alphabet soup:
View attachment 102501

Alex

First, very cool rocket! A lot of rockets look OK, but some have just the right proportions and look really good. This is one of those.

I tried the masking tape lettering once. It wasn't a total fiasco, but it wasn't as good as I wanted. One thing I've learned along the way is to seal the masking tape before applying the next color. Basically, apply the masking, then re-shoot the color (orange in this case) or clear. Let it dry, then paint the real color over top. I always got bleed through under the tape before, but now the overcoat of the base color is what leaks under and seals the tape, so things look better when the masking is removed.

Looking forward to the finished pics.

Sandy.

It's not a scale, just something I drew up on Open Rocket. This will give me a chance to try out that 24/40 case you gave me. Thanks!
Paint is taking forever to try completely.

Alex

Just a reminder not to remove masking tape with paint on your fingers.
20121027_163500.jpg

Alex

It's about finished. I still need to touch up the fin can a little.
Decided not to do the masking tape decal/reverse stencil things. They wernt removing from the wax paper.
20121028_082014.jpg

20121028_082035.jpg

Alex

Looks great Alex, it's getting me inspired to get going on something similar I've been dreaming about. I look forward to a flight report.

:y: :surprised:
didn't know there was a G150! The G127 was the biggest 24mm CTI motor I could find in OR.
Can you say confetti? :wink:
Glad to see you got your orange fixed. I may have to pick up a can of that-- I have a build in the planning stages for which that orange would be just perfect!

No no no no no no no no no!!!
Can you say
CTI One-sixty-seven H four-ten?
Now, can you say
teleportation confetti?

:rofl:

No no no no no no no no no!!!
Can you say
CTI One-sixty-seven H four-ten?
Now, can you say
teleportation confetti?

Can you say:
twenty-four-millimeter-motor-mounts-do-not-easily-house-twenty-nine-millimeter-motors-like-the-H-Four-Ten ?

:eyeroll:

Alex

Can you say:
twenty-four-millimeter-motor-mounts-do-not-easily-house-twenty-nine-millimeter-motors-like-the-H-Four-Ten ?

:eyeroll:

Alex

Notice that the key word here is easily. Many things we do in rocketry are not easy. :grin: :tongue:
EDIT: Oh hey, BB's back.

Yes I am back.
Oh, Alex, technically you can fit a 29mm motor in a 24mm motor mount. It just take a dremel, or a file, or sandpaper, and a goal to fit a 29mm hole in there.

Yes I am back.
Oh, Alex, technically you can fit a 29mm motor in a 24mm motor mount. It just take a dremel, or a file, or sandpaper, and a goal to fit a 29mm hole in there.

Well now...
That's like saying I can fit a 26ft christmas in my living room if I blow the roof off with plastic explosives. :p

So is this rocket getting any decals? ;)

Yep!

(Oh, how tall is your living room? I might be able to help you with the explosives...)
:rofl:

Back