Jr HPR Cert Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackiboi_11

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting my junior high power certification and was wondering if you needed a birth certificate to prove your age? And was wondering if you follow the same steps as a normal L1 except the written exam prior to the launch.

Thanks!

I don’t think you need a certificate but you do need permission from your parents and yes that is how it works though you do need a mentor that is the flier of record.
Ps I also am planning on getting my jr. cert.
What rocket/ engine do you plan on using?

I don’t know I messed up when I was building it and made the centering ring on the back flush to the motor mount so 38mm motors only for it. If you want something to cert on that can fly on Gs the loc forte is good.
im leaning towords the goblin because it comes with 38 and 29mm motor mounts

But you would have to choose between them when you build it I think that something with a 38mm mount and by an adapter(apogee have a cheap one that I like).
No you build the adapters separately and the 54 mm is the one you build into the rocket. you can just screw in the adapters when you want to fly on a different size motor

Strongest recommendation would be to find whichever club ( NAR or TRA ) is closest to you, especially if they frequently have an on-field vendor.

Tripoli Mentoring Program ( TMP ) is 12-17, NAR Junior HPR Participation Program (JrHPP) is 14-17.

Have fun!

I was thinking about getting my junior high power certification and was wondering if you needed a birth certificate to prove your age? And was wondering if you follow the same steps as a normal L1 except the written exam prior to the launch.

Thanks!
It’s more or less on the honor system. You will need a form signed by a parent but people probably aren’t going to check ID unless you look really sketchy. In that case, they probably just won’t sign off on the cert paperwork. For NAR, you’re going to need at least two people-one to be the mentor/flyer of record, and one to witness. You can almost certainly find a witness at a club launch but the mentor is a slightly higher bar. Either way I would suggest going to the club for a launch or two before you actually do the cert flight.

Oh and I was the mentor on a Jr L1 flight this month on a 3” LOC Iris. It flew really well, not too high on a 38mm H.

im leaning towords the goblin because it comes with 38 and 29mm motor mounts
That's what I used for L1 cert flight.
Yes, two adapters come with the kit so easy to use 54, 38 or 29mm motors. These also use clips (that come with the kit) for motor retention. The kit is very complete so nothing else to buy - except glue & paint.
Build it light (don't use too much epoxy in fin can) and it can be flown as a Class 1 on G motors (<1500 grams).

Just FYI the Tripoli Mentoring Program after you pass the test and do a successful L1 flight, you can fly motors to the level of your mentor. So if your mentor is level 3 you can build and fly rockets all the way up to an O class motor 😎

You need to be a member(NAR or Tripoli), and your parent or legal guardian will have to be with you to sign papers too. Most clubs will honor both of those for an L1 certification flight. As far as I know you don't need a birth certificate. Just watched a Jr. member get his on a Zephyr and a H-165, I believe.

You need to be a member(NAR or Tripoli), and your parent or legal guardian will have to be with you to sign papers too. Most clubs will honor both of those for an L1 certification flight. As far as I know you don't need a birth certificate. Just watched a Jr. member get his on a Zephyr and a H-165, I believe.

Alright good to know, thank you!

Back