It's time!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our club would sacrifice some virgins to get 4400 feet for high power.

Sorry bout your dog.

Thats it? Wow. I think my dog can fart higher than that! ;) :D

24.gif

And we even have to file a NOTAM and jump through all the same hoops!

Some statute that their hot air must be above all else. Arf,arf :madnote:

Ric...er never mind. :pc:

4,400'? Ick! Even at our small field near Moncton, we can get 6,000' ASL. And the launches at CFB Gagetown we have 25,000' automatically, thanks to the military CYR. Mind you... no one has been above about 15,000' and all the rough terrain & forest can make recovery from high altitude iffy.

The base is actually just outside Fredericton, about 2 hours from Moncton.

We do have camping on-site, just mind the critters. Fortunately there are no Grizzlies out here! But there are black bears, moose, coyotes (and I don't mean the armoured vehicles), etc. Oh, and skeeters big enough to take out a tank! Bug spray isn't an option, it's a way of life ;)

However there's also a Day's Inn about 20 minutes from the launch site that I usually stay at. And lots of other places within about 30 minutes.

Any good places to stay in Moncton? 25K is attractive.

Were good to 20k at Fall Fire here.. Very few go over 10k and I don't think anyone has went over about 13k. And a LOT closer then Rage..... :) Not that I wouldn't like to get out there to fly and meet the East Coasters that I haven't allready!

Jason

Well I'd certainly love to see a national CAR launch! I could handle a drive to Manitoba...

Hey, if I had to choose between Gage or the Roc Lake site... it would be no contest. Heck, even I'd be willing to try the odd high-altitude flight. Too many rockets lost to rocket-eating trees as a kid left me traumatized. ;)

But hey, ya work with what ya got!

Were good to 20k at Fall Fire here.. Very few go over 10k and I don't think anyone has went over about 13k. And a LOT closer then Rage..... :) Not that I wouldn't like to get out there to fly and meet the East Coasters that I haven't allready!

Jason

20K is nice! I am nowhere near that with my birds, but a few in my club could nudge that nicely.

Hey everyone, this has been a great discussion so far and there have been a lot of really good ideas put forward! But let me make one final plea -- think ON folks. Nothing against MB, NB, AB or QC for that matter; but think ON!!

Imagine if you will the sight of Canaroc clones soaring into the sun drenched skies over Parliament Hill on Canada Day. Or guest TARC teams sending their egg-lofter creations loaded with Kinder Surprise Eggs over the Niagara River or the St. Lawrence Seaway into the good old U.S.of A. on the Glorious Fourth. How about Justin Bieber hosting celebrity rocket drag races at the Stratford Shakespearian Festival. Or Rob Ford pressing the button to launch the biggest, baddest, cloud-splittin', O-powered Black Brant upscale from the heart of the Canadian NATIONAL Exhibition.

Like it or not, Ontario is the heartland of this beautiful land that we call home. So think ON folks!

Why Ontario ? .. I have a 2.5 km field at 5 minutes of my house here in Rawdon. We will do 10k on May 3 and 4
Well then Gerard, why not both eh? Lower Canada and Upper Canada together once again for one big happy family party. Like in 1837; only with more rockets and less muskets!:cheers:

Well then Gerard, why not both eh? Lower Canada and Upper Canada together once again for one big happy family party. Like in 1837; only with more rockets and less muskets!:cheers:

I will order the Toronto VRF Terminal Area Chart ( map ) to see where we can actually find a 12500 ASL place, second step will be to look on Google and third step to contact the farmers. I will find one but it will be Tripoli. No problem CAR members are allowed to a Tripoli launch. I'm not familiar with Ontario law, but it seems the lot are smaller and you can build houses on farmers lots, it make more difficult to find a place without buildings, here in Quebec we have law to protect the farmers lots, so a farmer can't sell a part to someone who want to build a house.

I will order the Toronto VRF Terminal Area Chart ( map ) to see where we can actually find a 12500 ASL place, second step will be to look on Google and third step to contact the farmers. I will find one but it will be Tripoli. No problem CAR members are allowed to a Tripoli launch. I'm not familiar with Ontario law, but it seems the lot are smaller and you can build houses on farmers lots, it make more difficult to find a place without buildings, here in Quebec we have law to protect the farmers lots, so a farmer can't sell a part to someone who want to build a house.
Gerard, you go-getter you, that's amazing!!
Just one question though -- what makes someone a "problem CAR member"?:wink:

CAR insurance don't allow non CAR members to launch at a CAR event. With Tripoli, CAR members can launch at a TRA events, they just not insured, NAR members can launch , they have their own insurance. So to get the most options I choose to go with Tripoli. As long as someone is certified with CAR, TRA or NAR, he can launch high power at my events.

In 2014 I will focus mostly on our prefecture, but I will start to look at options in Ontario.

I don't think that's quite accurate. I believe Canadian law requires anyone flying HPR to have insurance coverage. Since CAR-ACF insurance is only valid at CAR-ACF events... those flyers would also have to be TRA or NAR members in order to be "legal" at TRA or NAR events. I'd recommend any CAR-ACF members planning on attending events hosted by other organizations, to check with CAR-ACF HQ for up-to-date, accurate information on what they are or are not covered for.

And lest anyone think this is at all political: it's not. CAR-ACF's coverage is what a small organization (compared to TRA or NAR) can afford.

All I could find about insurance was this, from Transport Canada's "Requirements for Launching High Power Rockets in Canada":

11.3. It is recommended that all persons launching or charged with safety oversight of high power rocket launches obtain third party liability insurance of $1,000,000 or more to cover potential injury or damage claims.

All I could find about insurance was this, from Transport Canada's "Requirements for Launching High Power Rockets in Canada":

11.3. It is recommended that all persons launching or charged with safety oversight of high power rocket launches obtain third party liability insurance of $1,000,000 or more to cover potential injury or damage claims.

Yes a recommendation not a law. About everyone who own an insurance on his house or apartment as a 1,000,000 insurance.

Actually on the "APPLICATION FOR AUTHORIZATION TO LAUNCH HIGH POWER AND ADVANCED HIGH POWER ROCKET(S)" Form they ask about insurance and you have to send them a copy of the Certificate of Insurance. But it's for the Association who organize the event not for individual.

insu.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back