It's been a year

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
It's been a year since I last flew.. anything.

CRMRC is my club, and is in Vermont (I'm in Montreal, Quebec) So, I need to cross the border to go fly.

Our January launch last year was cancelled due to weather. Our February was cancelled , also due to e weather. And well, March to now has been cancelled due to Covid related issues. both at the border, and with Vermont Covid rules.

I am itching to fly.. anything! I have a package waiting for me with a US club member, a black Friday sale of motors! I will be getting together with a few of the 'Canadian members' soon to fly locally, in our neck of the woods. but won't quite be the same (LPR & MPTR only)

And it doesn't look like I'll be flying until will into spring, if not well into summer at this point. (I'm hoping, maybe for URRF 2021, but we'll see how the numbers look!)

It's been a year since I last flew.. anything.

CRMRC is my club, and is in Vermont (I'm in Montreal, Quebec) So, I need to cross the border to go fly.

Our January launch last year was cancelled due to weather. Our February was cancelled , also due to e weather. And well, March to now has been cancelled due to Covid related issues. both at the border, and with Vermont Covid rules.

I am itching to fly.. anything! I have a package waiting for me with a US club member, a black Friday sale of motors! I will be getting together with a few of the 'Canadian members' soon to fly locally, in our neck of the woods. but won't quite be the same (LPR & MPTR only)

And it doesn't look like I'll be flying until will into spring, if not well into summer at this point. (I'm hoping, maybe for URRF 2021, but we'll see how the numbers look!)

Bit of a drive for you but you could come to Red Glare at the end of March in Maryland.

Yup going on a year here also.
Club in Texas had no launches during most of last year now it is limited to about 25 flyers First come first served.
Have not made the cut.
I do not think club flying events are a super spreader. All outdoors and plenty of room to spread out, but what do I know.
I spent my time just building and have over a dozen new rockets that have never flown.

I've got 5 in the paint pile, and a few dozen in my build pile. I have many standing around waiting to be fired..

So, I am starting to look at other hobbies, other things to build, other things to pass my time at night..

it's also been about a month now, that we've been under curfew.. and will soon likely be extended for another month..

I feel lucky, then. Once the Covid protocols were defined, our clubs here in the Chicago and surrounding area have been flying since last June. I have 4 clubs I can fly with locally (not including Whoosh, QCRS, Central Illinois Aerospace and Indiana Rocketry, if I want to drive more than 2 hours). Michiana & Indiana Rocketry fly HPR only in winter, so we have year around options. Club members only, limited to the number that can gather due to state guidelines, bring your own launch equipment. We're outside and wear masks when within 6 feet. No one has gotten The Covid. I'm surprised that some locations are that tight. It's been very doable within the guidelines across 4 states (Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan).

I plan to do a red glare.. But I'm doubtful the US/CAN border will open before mid spring.. I estimate likely mid summer, maybe..
Assuming it happens as planned, NARAM is going to be in Geneseo, NY in the last week of July. The border should be open - we all hope - and it's a good deal closer less far (about 6 hours) for you.

Club members only, limited to the number that can gather due to state guidelines, bring your own launch equipment.
Same restrictions here through the flying season last year. This year? We shall see.

I am in the same mucky boat. No launches for at least a year at this point. Since I have no idea when it will end, I haven't bought or built anything for about that same amount of time.

After just getting back into rockets after decades away, the timing couldn't have been worse.

Maybe someday.

Since I wasn't able to attend any organized launches this year, I took the time this summer to go out to a local (deserted) soccer field four times to launch LPR/MPR with my family. It wasn't as as fun as a organized launch, but was still a good time. The drive was a lot shorter - 10 min vs min 2 hrs, and there were no line-ups for the launch rack.

I also have to cross the border for launches and agree that it won't open until summer at the earliest, which cuts out the spring launches that I usually attend. Hopefully it'll open up at the end of summer so I can at least get to one HPR launch.

While I wait for that to happen I'm sure we'll return to the soccer fields again this spring and I'll keep building rockets. Like everyone else here I've got a pile of kits and I've been putting a bit of a dent into it over the past 8 months.

cheers - mark

QB launched in June, but had to cancel Oct. Look them up come spring? I know you don't like their field but it will get you flying at least...

I've been flying a lot in some local parks. LPR only and I don't usually post flight results unless I'm testing a new design but if anyone wants to live vicariously through my launches I'll happily post more

Oddly, I think I made it to more local launches in 2020 than I did in 2019. If not, it was close. Now I just remembered that I need to order some D sized motors.

I’m jealous of SoCal fliers; their launches seem to continue despite Covid, while in NorCal our clubs have cancelled all launches.

It's been about a year also since I have flown anything.
Between work and the weather, I have been pretty much grounded 😆

Time to do some new builds :)

I noticed the ad in Sports Rocketry for club events and social outings. Someone else mentioned the rocketeers who have died from COVID. I'm concerned...
Ugh 😩
That's real sad, I have lost 2 friends, my wife has also lost one.

Back