Is There Such A Thing As "TOO MUCH DETAIL" ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as there's documentation for it, then only if you're a pansy and don't want to have to compete with someone who puts in more effort. If it's detail that's made up because there isn't actually documentation for it, then there might be an argument that it's too much.

Of course, I don't mean you, specifically, Dave, just a hypothetical "you" who might say that's too much.

As long as there's documentation for it, then only if you're a pansy and don't want to have to compete with someone who puts in more effort. If it's detail that's made up because there isn't actually documentation for it, then there might be an argument that it's too much.

Of course, I don't mean you, specifically, Dave, just a hypothetical "you" who might say that's too much.
What I meant is that there is so much detail that it would take many hours for a Scale Judge to verify all the details and measurements . . . In the "real world", would that time and effort be put in , when judging a "roomful" of models, like this ?

Last edited:
What I meant is that there is so much detail that it would take many hours for a Scale Judge to verify all the details and measurements . . . In the "real world", would that time and effort be put in , when judging a "roomful" of models, like this ?
I'm not a scale aficionado, but if there were a handful of pictures that showed generally that scale was kind-of close, with that level of detail, I assume judging the 1st place would only take minutes, as it would be pretty obvious. If there were a room full of models like that with successful flights, I imagine the judges would be willing to work for quite a while, just to spend the time adjudicating such good work.

What is the scale and is she a flying model? And nice work. Is it 3D printed?
These models are built by a Russian named Alexander Levykh, who is a multi-time FAI gold medalist in the S7 Scale event. I seem to recall that he builds these models at 1/50 scale, and they do indeed fly.

Levykh is a machinist who first produces masters from aluminum stock. Molds are made from these masters, and fiberglass parts are then serially produced from the molds. I've seen several of these up close and in flight, and they truly are stunning.

Last edited:
The FAI rules specify that five dimensions will be measured on each model:

* Overall model length
* Greatest measurable body diameter
* First stage length
* Fin span
* Selected dimension greater than 20 mm (second stage length, diameter, etc.)

Each model gets roughly the same time. The judges don't dig much deeper than that into the data packs, as there simply isn't enough time to dawdle.

If it was mine, it would never be flown. In my world, without question, that much work and detail would result in catastrophic loss.
Amazing work.

The level of detail is incredible . . . I wonder if all of that is from truly documented, dimensioned sources, or if the modeler(s) "get creative", embellish, and go for the "wow factor" ?

There is such a thing as overdone detail. Where the various doodads are too big or thick to make them easier to see, when the originals would be hard to see. Things like rivets that were countersunk or the original. Welds that are way too thick--corrugations that are too wide and high. I'm not saying that the model in these pictures have these flaws, but I have seen plenty of models that do.

That's beautiful thank you for sharing. Definitely takes a steely eyed middle man to fly something with that much work in it.

These models are built by a Russian named Alexander Levykh, who is a multi-time FAI gold medalist in the S7 Scale event. I seem to recall that he builds these models at 1/50 scale, and they do indeed fly.

Levykh is a machinist who first produces masters from aluminum stock. Molds are made from these masters, and fiberglass parts are then serially
produced from the molds. I've seen several of these up close and in flight, and they truly are stunning.

20211019_232200(1).jpg

IMG_5343ф.jpg

Those are beautiful but I am not sure that I, personally, see the benefit in launching something with that much detail. But, obviously, to each his own.

Below is my perspective.

I do try to add more detail to my sport-scale/semi-scale models than most existing kits but I do not see the benefit in trying to compete with static plastic models. One sits on your desk for close up viewing and the other is looked at from dozens and then hundreds (or thousands) of feet away. Also the technical challenge of getting a model with lots of detail to fly is not much more than getting the same design to fly without details.

I am going to speak out of both sides of my mouth now. I do like looking at a model I designed and knowing that it has flown successfully. So maybe there is some extra satisfaction in looking at a display model and knowing that it has flown (rather than having separate display and launch models).

I also do not do club launches so no one to show a beautifully finished model to after I launch it.

Those are beautiful but I am not sure that I, personally, see the benefit in launching something with that much detail. But, obviously, to each his own.

Below is my perspective.

I do try to add more detail to my sport-scale/semi-scale models than most existing kits but I do not see the benefit in trying to compete with static plastic models. One sits on your desk for close up viewing and the other is looked at from dozens and then hundreds (or thousands) of feet away. Also the technical challenge of getting a model with lots of detail to fly is not much more than getting the same design to fly without details.

I am going to speak out of both sides of my mouth now. I do like looking at a model I designed and knowing that it has flown successfully. So maybe there is some extra satisfaction in looking at a display model and knowing that it has flown (rather than having separate display and launch models).

I also do not do club launches so no one to show a beautifully finished model to after I launch it.
(1) The "benefit" is winning the Gold Medal at the World Championships.

(2) The "technical challenge" is to be able to fly it, without damaging those intricate details.

(3) Those models are built for competition, at the highest levels, not as "sport models".

Dave F.

Back