Is Testors Paints Doubling In Price... May 16, 2022?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if this is true, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility, and with 45K subscriber's it seems like this guy has some knowledge on the topic.

46% increase is NOT doubling in price. Have you priced other chemicals lately, like bleach? Walmart bleach from $1.29 to over $5.

It sounds like this guy is more alarmist than factual. He states in the video that a 1/4 oz bottle is $3.60. It isn't. Current retail price is $2.20 a bottle. The rumor I heard was that they were going to $2.60 a bottle. Then he claims the basic tube of glue is going to "4 or 5 or 6 dollars". Currently it's $2.40 a tube, and the rumor is that the new price is $2.90 a tube. I'm sure prices on all Testors is going up, but not double.

I think you're thinking of the Model Master line. Regular Testor's in the square bottles is still readily available.
Thanks. It may also just be because Walmart, and almost every other retailer where I routinely saw them, stopped carrying them so, combined with the Model Master news, and rampant rumors that occasionally swirl around on hobby forums and Facebook, I conflated (mixed) the stories.

I never could see paying so much for a 1/4oz glass jar of paint. The jar probably cost 10 times more than the contents.
I prefer the Rustoleum 8oz cans and use a high grade orderless Mineral Spirits to thin it down to spray.
If you have knowledge of how colors work, you mix just about any shade of any color you want with what's available.
But,...that's just me...

The Model Master line included all the railroad and military colors.
I don't recall Model Master railroad colors, PollyScale and Floquil, which a some point were owned by RPM who owned Testors, yes, plenty of RR colors; Model Master RR colors, no.

I recall reading that Rustoleum was the actual manufacturer of the Model Master paints, making them for Testors.

The Evening News reported that diesel fuel is at its all-time high and that every product shipped by a semi-truck is going up.

I don't recall Model Master railroad colors, PollyScale and Floquil, which a some point were owned by RPM who owned Testors, yes, plenty of RR colors; Model Master RR colors, no.

You are correct, Model Master didn't have railroad colors I just used so many MM colors to paint cars, trucks, structures and oh-so-many other things on my layout that MM paints were my go-to paint provider.

Back