Interesting prototype atomic battery technology

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately the power density is so low that a typical Tesla-size battery would only produce about 23 watts.
From the article:
"Due to the modular design multiple atomic batteries could be connected to provide a higher energy output that could power automotive technology, as well as AI systems just to name a few."

"Such unlimited power could provide drones that fly continuously, phones that run constantly, and electric cars that don’t require recharging. "

From the article:
"Due to the modular design multiple atomic batteries could be connected to provide a higher energy output that could power automotive technology, as well as AI systems just to name a few."

"Such unlimited power could provide drones that fly continuously, phones that run constantly, and electric cars that don’t require recharging. "
Most of that assumes massive advances in technology.

No the idea is E=MC squared so enough energy to power a phone for the rest of eternity. The problem is efficiency.
But this technology is based on the energy recoverable from radioactive decay, which is very very low energy density.

Now if you are talking about powering your car or plane with nuclear fussion or fusion, then the former technology exists now, its just that the vehicles will be VERY VERY heavy. I am not sure the roads or runways will take it.

I can see it installed in an electric car and used to trickle charge the main battery. If it could put out 500 to 1000 watts it could keep the battery charged up after most short trips.

Ni-63 is made in the US by enriching Ni-62 (natural abundance 3.6%) with electromagnetic separators (expensive, but very selective regarding unwanted isotopes) followed by transmuting it via neutron capture in a reactor. Even in a specialized reactor, optimized for high neutron flux, that still takes about year.
Another proposed, presumably cheaper, process uses centrifuge enrichment before and after the neutron capture.

Nothing about this processes is cheap or fast. That process is also quite similar to the one used for weapons grade material, so there are real non-proliferation concerns that will stand in the way of commercializing Ni-63 production.

Any technological advance regarding beta-voltaic cells is welcome, but it will still be limited to specialized low volume applications that can command a premium price for long endurance while only demanding a very low power output. I don't see the point of mentioning them in the context of high power applications like drones, smart phones, EVs etc, besides intentionally misleading hype marketing.

Reinhard

From the article:

Just do the math and you’ll see what I mean.

From the article:

I generally am careful about words like "unlimited", or expressions like "unlimited power".

Depending on just what particles it emits, it might be good for implanted medical devices or hearing aids.

This prototype doesn't have much power available. For 3 volts at 100 microwatts, it requires 50Ci (curies) of radioactive Ni-63. That's the equivalent of 50 grams of radium or 185 x 10^10 decays/sec. Ni-63 is a very unique isotope. It's a pure beta emitter that decays into a stable copper isotope. Breaking through the shielding would still pose a significant health risk. To operate more than simple low power electronics would require a significantly larger beta battery.

Years ago, I did some research on radium dial watches from the 1920's. I had one watch face that I had to be extremely careful with. The person who wore this watch must have suffered from radiation health issues. Attached is a 200ms exposure directly to film.

Attachments

• Watch Face007.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 6
Back