Interesting project for someone...Hopalaunch logo rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEC

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I got an email from the La Cumbre Brewing Company a few days ago, and one of the items they were introducing is a beer called "Hopalaunch". I wonder if anyone is crazy enough to try to build this:

IMG_6455.jpg

I don't think it would be too hard, once one settled on a material for the hops themselves. I think it would take a little bit of liberty with the supports for those outboard pods on what would/should be the fins (or a silly amount of nose weight) but I'm sure this could be done.

I was just amused by the whole idea and figured not too many folks here were on the mailing list for a craft brewery in New Mexico. I do wish I could see a little more detail without driving to Albuquerque to get a can to take a picture of.

Here's a screen capture from their web site (zoomed up some). That's a little better, but not much.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 2.26.49 PM.png

I think it would a hoot for someone to show up at NARAM in Lordsburg, NM next summer with this.

Somebody should Hop right on this... and don't use big clear plastic fins!
This has @Daddyisabar written all over it.

nose cone
1673222298921.jpeg
Or this
https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Cl...inecone+ornaments&qid=1673221700&sr=8-12&th=1
two forward tractor motors. Long delay or plugged or motor eject

one rear motor intentionally Recessed to produce Krushnic effect, so lots of smoke and no thrust, but DOES provide and ejection charge to blow the cone and the laundry.

may not need fins if it is long enough, otherwise make cloud shaped fins.
1673222298921.jpeg

I thought about David but since the logo rocket has a body and fins/pods I figured it would be too “normal” to appeal to him. It looks like you’re suggesting flying the hop flower/pine cone wide end up?

I do kind of like adapting one of these rather than carving the flower out of florist’s foam (as I was thinking) except that you have to buy four to get one. The size looks about right to use a chunk of BT-55 for the rocket’s body in the La Cumbre illustrations.

Last edited:
I’m seeing the orange and all that cloud-like stuff as the exhaust plume of the rocket rather than part of it, perhaps with a suggestion that it’s rotating on boost and leaving a curled smoke trail. I don‘t see all that as part of the rocket. It sounds like you see something else….

From what I see, the tube will have to extend up into the flower a ways to have room for a recovery system, with the flower separating part way up. Some of the techniques used in the Fliskits Tiberius might work to pull that off.

nothing Like a, “Wait a minute, hold my beer” Rocket project!

of course, crossing a Stingray with an Artichoke is an endeavor one could really get Stoked upon.

I thought about David but since the logo rocket has a body and fins/pods I figured it would be too “normal” to appeal to him. It looks like you’re suggesting flying the hop flower/pine cone wide end up?

I do kind of like adapting one of these rather than carving the flower out of florist’s foam (as I was thinking) except that you have to buy four to get one. The size looks about right to use a chunk of BT-55 for the rocket’s body in the La Cumbre illustrations.
No, I’d go with the tip upward, I just didn’t flip the picture.

great minds and all, I thought of Gary’s Artichoke, but the pics I found didn’t look pointy enough. OTOH I’ve seen a lot of Christmas Tree pine cones that I thought were more similar to the illustration.

"Heads Up Folks. Pssst. Hold My Beer, Mr. Hopalaunch, we're about to make history."

The Open Rocket model has a quan. of (30) 1" dia. x 2" long ogive nose cones surrounding a 2-1/2" dia. x 5-5/8" long parabolic nose cone.
To actually make the nose cone I would turn it on a wood lathe and then hand carve the individual scallops.

To make the rocket stable a 5" dia. polycarbonate cone is mounted to the base of the (3) fins. This "should" induce enough base drag to stabilize the rocket during flight.

Recovery is via a rear eject mini spool and a 12" diameter parachute.

My mindsim tells me it'll fly like my Cygnus Probe.... stable during thrust, and then turn into a tumble weed during the coast phase.

As @Daddyisabar so famously likes to remind us... Oddrocs Rule!

1673302338777.png
1673302363581.png

Attachments

• Hops Rocket II.ork
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The top could be made up of 20+ nose cones. Come on, YOU CAN DO THIS👍
I'd 3D print the nose, but some people call that cheating.

I’m seeing the orange and all that cloud-like stuff as the exhaust plume of the rocket rather than part of it, perhaps with a suggestion that it’s rotating on boost and leaving a curled smoke trail. I don‘t see all that as part of the rocket. It sounds like you see something else….
At first I thought the orange bit was a stick, and it could have fins below that are out of frame in the picture. When I looked again, I saw what you see. I'm not sure, but I thing you're right. And if you are, with that stub of a tube below the flower which is little more than a bezel around its base, it would need a ton of nose weight, if stabilizing it is possible at all.
From what I see, the tube will have to extend up into the flower a ways to have room for a recovery system, with the flower separating part way up. Some of the techniques used in the Fliskits Tiberius might work to pull that off.
For recovery, if this thing can be stabilized, I think rear ejection. Stick a tube up the center, as you say, and a motor mount inside that. The whole motor mount comes out, tethered to the rest, as per usual for rear ejection. At that point, there could be a streamer attached to the MMT or the tether, again as usual, or it could just be allowed to tumble.

I do wish I could see a little more detail without driving to Albuquerque to get a can to take a picture of.
Write to them and ask for a full size print or high res digital image.

Rear ejection sounds like a good idea. I’ve not done it before which is why I didn’t think of it.

Good thought on just writing to La Cumbre Brewing. I’ll try that.

Okay, I thought the straight orange thing was a stick rather than a plume, which on reflection makes no sense.

OTOH, you could paint a body tube (or better yet make a vinyl wrap) with flame colors to exactly simulate the logo. This would functionally make it a bottle rocket.

As pictured you only see two pods, but could easily and legitimately add a third (hidden by plume in logo.)

You end up with something like @Daddyisabar ‘s Tapeworm.

Add a small (recessed for Krushnic effect) 13mm motor in tail for smoke and to provide ejection charge to blow the nose.

I just tried to send a note via their contact form on the web site, but I’m not sure if it worked.

I also noticed that it’s “Hoplaunch” or even ”Hop Launch”, not “Hopalaunch”. My mistake.

I was assuming three fins/pods.

Many American micro brews are over hopped for my taste. Real tough Merican dudes drink it to show their manliness and think they are cool when making a sour puss face when all those IBU's kick in during the after taste. A local brew pub would make a "Hopopotimus" concoction for just that purpose. An IPA was a purposely over hopped beer to preserve it in an oak barrel in order to make it to India. Over time the tannins mellowed in the oak and it was drinkable by the white devils when it finally reached the Jewel in the Crown....OH MY...THIS IS TRF, not the beer blog.

As for the cool marketing logo rocket, I think with enough power and nose weight it should be fine. One could make some mods for a less RSO frightening machine, or put motors in the pods for a more RSO frightening machine.

Flying backward with tractors would be cool too, but it might need an October Fest, blue and white checkerboard Bavarian tail for stability. Trailing vines would work too. Maybe some forward facing leaf fins up top, where they should be.

This is making me thirsty for a high IBU Russian Imperial Stout. High heat with high IBU'S and I will be walking around with the funny stagger of the current Putin the Great. :)

Many American micro brews are over hopped for my taste. Real tough Merican dudes drink it to show their manliness and think they are cool when making a sour puss face when all those IBU's kick in during the after taste. A local brew pub would make a "Hopopotimus" concoction for just that purpose.
Yeah, it's gotten so when I go into a bar or restaurant it's hard to find anything that's not either carbonated clydesdale piss or extra bitter double IPA. I expect one of these days someone will start adding a touch of quinine to beer. Phooey! Give me a wee heavy or a nice porter. I'll drink Sam Addams Boston Lager when I'm in the mood for a light beer.

Yeah, it's gotten so when I go into a bar or restaurant it's hard to find anything that's not either carbonated clydesdale piss or extra bitter double IPA. I expect one of these days someone will start adding a touch of quinine to beer. Phooey! Give me a wee heavy or a nice porter. I'll drink Sam Addams Boston Lager when I'm in the mood for a light beer.
Whiskey for my men.... beer for my horses.

Back