Installing G-Wiz FTDI drivers on Windows 8

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Q

Reaction score
Hi,

A few months back I got a new tablet computer which runs on Microsoft Windows 8 (64 bit). I went to install the FTDI drivers so I could connect my G-Wiz HCX flight computer to the Flight View software (via the G-Wiz USB/Serial interface).

The 64-bit FTDI drivers that I downloaded from the www.gwiz-partners.com website won't install.

Rob Briody has been a little hard to reach since he moved to the east coast, but his last suggestion to me was to download and install the FTDI VCP 64-bit drivers from www.ftdichip.com .

I still can't get the G-Wiz interface to recognise the 64-bit FTDI driver.

Has anyone out there successfully got their G-Wiz flight computer to connect to Flight View running on Windows 8? If so, I'd love to know how you went about installing the drivers.

Thanks,
Mike

Rob Briody has still been assisting me with suggested fixes to my driver installation issue, but alas, I didn't have any success until this evening. Woo hoo!!!

I had some spare time today, so I thought I'd have another crack at installing the FTDI drivers. This time I deleted all the files associated with my prior efforts and started from scratch.

In brief, the solution is to disable the Windows 8 driver signature enforcement before installing the 64-bit driver that is available from the G-Wiz website.

For the benefit of anyone else who needs to get their G-Wiz USB/Serial interface connected to a Windows 8 device, here are some step-by-step instructions outlining how I got my interface working.

1. Download a copy of the "Windows Vista 64bit" driver ZIP file from the G-Wiz website at: https://www.gwiz-partners.com/html/drivers.html. Save a local copy of the ZIP file onto your Windows 8 device. Here's the current URL for the ZIP file:

2. Extract the contents of the ZIP file into a folder on your Windows 8 device (i.e. you can't install directly from the ZIP file).

NOTE If you plug your G-Wiz USB/Serial Interface into a USB port of your Windows 8 device and try to install the drivers at this point, the software install will fail with an error message which says:
"The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering."​

A security feature called "Device Driver Signing" has been built into Windows 8 to prevent installation of bad drivers, but it also creates a problem if you're installing older hardware. The solution is to disable the Windows 8 driver signature enforcement.

3. From the Windows 8 "desktop", swipe in from the right-hand edge of the screen in order to display the "Charms Menu".

4. Select the "Settings" option (i.e. the bottom option that looks like a cog).

5. At the very bottom on the "Settings" menu, on the right-hand side of the screen, you will find the words "More PC Settings". Select this option.

6. On the left-hand side of the PC Settings page, select the "General" option. The General settings themselves are shown on the right-hand side of the screen. Scroll to the bottom of the list of settings.

7. Under "Advanced Startup" you will see a button entitled "Reset Now". Select this button. You will be presented with a series of options for restarting your device.

8. Choose "Troubleshoot", then choose "Advanced Options" and then choose "Startup Settings".

9. Select the "Restart" button when it appears.

10. Once your device has restarted, you will be presented with a list of startup settings that you can change. You can now disable/enable the driver signature enforcement which should be option 7. Press the [F7] key or the number [7] key and your device will continue the boot-up process. This options screen will "time-out" if you don't choose an option within about 15-20 seconds. If it does time-out on you, the driver signature enforcement will be enabled/re-enabled by default, and you'll have to start again from Step-3 (above).

11. Once Windows 8 has fully re-booted you should plug your G-Wiz USB/Serial Interface into a USB port on your device.

12. From the Windows 8 "desktop", swipe in from the right-hand edge to display the "Charms Menu" and this time select "Control Panel". Then select "Device Manager" from the Control Panel window.

13. "G-Wiz USB Adapter" should be listed under "Other Devices". Right-click on "G-Wiz USB Adapter" to display the shortcut menu, and then select the "Update Driver Software..." option.

14. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software". Navigate to the location in your local storage where you extracted the G-Wiz driver ZIP file in Step-2. Follow the prompts to install the driver software.

15. Once the driver is correctly installed your G-Wiz USB Adapter will be listed in the Device Manager window under "Ports (COM & LPT)" with its assigned COM port number displayed next to it.

NOTE I successfully installed the driver software but my tablet still would not assign a COM Port to it. So I installed the driver software a second time and now it works just fine.

16. Take note of the assigned COM port number displayed in Device Manager and fire up G-Wiz FlightView to test that it successfully connects to your G-Wiz flight computer(s).

17. Reboot your Windows 8 device once again and it will automatically re-enable driver signature enforcement. If you would like to double-check whether it is re-enabled, you can repeat Step-3 through Step-10 above.

I hope this is helpful to all the G-Wiz faithful out there.

Ciao for now,
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for figuring this out. A few months back when I called G-Wiz I was told that they didn't support Windows 8. So I hadn't decided what to do with my altimeter. I haven't tried your instructions yet but will!

Thanks again,
StanO

Mike,

It's been awhile but I finally got around to using your procedure to install device drivers for my G-Wiz MC2. Thanks to you I have them installed and I can now communicate with my G-Wiz. I'm including the steps I had to follow below but basically the key is disabling the security feature- "In brief, the solution is to disable the Windows 8 driver signature enforcement before installing the 64-bit driver that is available from the G-Wiz website." As I have a laptop instead of a tablet there were differences in my process to make it work. Fundamentally one is to disable the security feature and install the device drivers however your PC/Tablet/Windows 8 version requires. It was interesting that I had to install the drivers in 2 different places.

Mike thanks again for publishing your procedure, much appreciated. Instead of selling my G-Wiz MC2 I now have a usable great flight computer.

StanO

I’ve noted changes in red to the procedure based on using my computer, a 2012 Sony Laptop which does not have a touchscreen, and Windows 8 Registered in December 2012. Your mileage May vary. My flight computer is the G-Wiz MC2.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59230-Installing-G-Wiz-FTDI-drivers-on-Windows-8

[FONT=&quot]
Rob Briody has still been assisting me with suggested fixes to my driver installation issue, but alas, I didn't have any success until this evening. Woo hoo!!!

I had some spare time today, so I thought I'd have another crack at installing the FTDI drivers. This time I deleted all the files associated with my prior efforts and started from scratch.

In brief, the solution is to disable the Windows 8 driver signature enforcement before installing the 64-bit driver that is available from the G-Wiz website.

For the benefit of anyone else who needs to get their G-Wiz USB/Serial interface connected to a Windows 8 device, here are some step-by-step instructions outlining how I got my interface working.

1. Download a copy of the "Windows Vista 64bit" driver ZIP file from the G-Wiz website at: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://www.gwiz-partners.com/html/drivers.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Save a local copy of the ZIP file onto your Windows 8 device. Here's the current URL for the ZIP file:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]https://www.gwiz-partners.com/win64USBDrivers.zip[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
2. Extract the contents of the ZIP file into a folder on your Windows 8 device (i.e. you can't install directly from the ZIP file).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NOTE[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you plug your G-Wiz USB/Serial Interface into a USB port of your Windows 8 device and try to install the drivers at this point, the software install will fail with an error message which says:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
A security feature called "Device Driver Signing" has been built into Windows 8 to prevent installation of bad drivers, but it also creates a problem if you're installing older hardware. The solution is to disable the Windows 8 driver signature enforcement.

3. From the Windows 8 "desktop", swipe in from the right-hand edge of the screen in order to display the "Charms Menu".

4. Select the "Settings" option (i.e. the bottom option that looks like a cog).

5. At the very bottom on the "Settings" menu, on the right-hand side of the screen, you will find the words "More PC Settings" “Change PC Settings”. Select this option.

6. On the left-hand side of the PC Settings page, select the "General" option. The General settings themselves are shown on the right-hand side of the screen. Scroll to the bottom of the list of settings.

7. Under "Advanced Startup" you will see a button entitled "Reset Now" “Restart Now”. Select this button. You will be presented with a series of options for restarting your device.

8. On the “Choose an option” screen, Choose "Troubleshoot", then choose "Advanced Options" and then choose "Startup Settings".

9. Select the "Restart" button when it appears.

10. Once your device has restarted, you will be presented with a list of startup settings that you can change. You can now disable/enable the driver signature enforcement which should be option 7. Press the [F7] key (didn’t work for me) or the number [7] key and your device will continue the boot-up process. This options screen will "time-out" if you don't choose an option within about 15-20 seconds. If it does time-out on you, the driver signature enforcement will be enabled/re-enabled by default, and you'll have to start again from Step-3 (above). I tried the [F7] when it didn’t work tried the [7] key which worked. However, I think I was too slow and had to repeat the process.

11. Once Windows 8 has fully re-booted you should plug your G-Wiz USB/Serial Interface into a USB port on your device.

12. From the Windows 8 "desktop", swipe in from the right-hand edge to display the "Charms Menu" and this time select "Control Panel" not displayed. Then select "Device Manager" from the Control Panel window. I keyed the “Windows” logo key + [X] key to select from the lower left hand corner and get “Device Manager” to display.

13. "G-Wiz USB Adapter" should be listed under "Other Devices" “Ports (COM & LPT)”. Right-click on "G-Wiz USB Adapter" to display the shortcut menu, and then select the "Update Driver Software..." option. After doing this I had to go to Device Manager as I wasn’t given the option (greyed out) to update the driver.

14. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software". Navigate to the location in your local storage where you extracted the G-Wiz driver ZIP file in Step-2. Follow the prompts to install the driver software.
I had to assign a device driver for both the “G-Wiz USB Adapter” under “Ports (COM & LPT)” and “G-Wiz USB Adapter” under “Universal Serial Bus controllers”, by repeating steps 12-14. As I had to repeat the process several times to find the devices I may have taken more steps than necessary, but I was able to load the drivers to the devices and a COM port was assigned.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]15.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Once the driver is correctly installed your G-Wiz USB Adapter will be listed in the Device Manager window under "Ports (COM & LPT)" with its assigned COM port number displayed next to it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NOTE[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I successfully installed the driver software but my tablet still would not assign a COM Port to it. So I installed the driver software a second time and now it works just fine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
16. Take note of the assigned COM port number displayed in Device Manager and fire up G-Wiz FlightView to test that it successfully connects to your G-Wiz flight computer(s).

17. Reboot your Windows 8 device once again and it will automatically re-enable driver signature enforcement. If you would like to double-check whether it is re-enabled, you can repeat Step-3 through Step-10 above.

[/FONT]

This can be done slightly easier on a Windows 8 desktop. For steps 3 through 6 you might want to try this.
3. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to view the log out screen.
4. In the lower right corner, there is a power icon. Click it.
5. One of the options is restart. Shift-Click Restart.

Back