MDACS/RRC3 and Windows 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hanson

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my USB IO dongle in the mail today and tried to hook it up.

[There is a solution at the bottom. If you don’t care how I got there, skip to the TL;DR]

Installed the software, drivers loaded. Hooked everything up, tried to connect, no joy. Went through all the variations of COM ports with no help. Went to the website for drivers shown in the manual, downloaded and installed from there (same driver version, as it turns out). Still no help.

Went a-searching, and found @tfish post with the required order (start software, hook everything together except the cable to the RRC3, turn on the switch, then initiate a connection from the software and plug the cable into the RRC3 as it’s in the 20 sec countdown). Still no joy.

Re-accomplished the above, except this time stood on one foot and tried to hold my mouth right, just in case. No help.

Rechecked that I had the right COM port. NOTE: on the Win 10 version of Device Manager, the two drivers are split, one in the USB section and the other in the Ports section. Right-click on the driver to see its properties, and the COM port that it’s using is in the verbiage under the last tab.

Or, just try them all (starting at the last one, which is most recent and is probably correct).

COM port was confirmed correct. Then the “AHA” moment came. Right clicked on the MDACS program (not the shortcut) and ran compatibility checker. Came back that the program wasn’t compatible with at least my version of Win 10 pro (albeit an insider build). But set the compatibility back to Win 8, retried the connection, and SHAZAM! Everything worked as advertised.

TL;DR — If you’re running Win 10 and MDACS won’t connect, change the program compatibility to Win 8. (Right-click on the program itself, then you can set compatibility from that menu.)

Standard disclaimer for all things computer: YMMV.

I hope this helps someone else.
-Bill.

Hi all,

[There is a solution at the bottom. If you don’t care how I got there, skip to the TL;DR]

Installed the software, drivers loaded. Hooked everything up, tried to connect, no joy. Went through all the variations of COM ports with no help. Went to the website for drivers shown in the manual, downloaded and installed from there (same driver version, as it turns out). Still no help.

Went a-searching, and found @tfish post with the required order (start software, hook everything together except the cable to the RRC3, turn on the switch, then initiate a connection from the software and plug the cable into the RRC3 as it’s in the 20 sec countdown). Still no joy.

Re-accomplished the above, except this time stood on one foot and tried to hold my mouth right, just in case. No help.

Rechecked that I had the right COM port. NOTE: on the Win 10 version of Device Manager, the two drivers are split, one in the USB section and the other in the Ports section. Right-click on the driver to see its properties, and the COM port that it’s using is in the verbiage under the last tab.

Or, just try them all (starting at the last one, which is most recent and is probably correct).

COM port was confirmed correct. Then the “AHA” moment came. Right clicked on the MDACS program (not the shortcut) and ran compatibility checker. Came back that the program wasn’t compatible with at least my version of Win 10 pro (albeit an insider build). But set the compatibility back to Win 8, retried the connection, and SHAZAM! Everything worked as advertised.

TL;DR — If you’re running Win 10 and MDACS won’t connect, change the program compatibility to Win 8. (Right-click on the program itself, then you can set compatibility from that menu.)

-Bill.

Bill, I have been trying off & on for days to get my USB dongle to connect to my RRC3. Like you I had absolutely no luck. It was driving me crazy. Luckily I Googled this morning & found your post and tried Win 8 compatibility mode & it worked!!!!! Thnks! :)

Hi all,

-Bill.
Thanks for this tip! My was not connecting at all, searched and found your solution and it worked first time!

Here's a warning: There may be an electrical problem if you power up your RRC3 from a 2s LiPo while the USB IO dongle is connected to your RRC3, plugged into your USB port, and turned ON.

Mine shows heat marks to the protective heat shrink material that wraps the dongle PC board above the large SMD IC on the board, and on the reverse side. And it no longer appears to work whereas it had apparently worked in early August when I used mDACS to upload data from my RRC3 after the LDRS-39 launch.

I've ordered a replacement and a backup from Missile Works. Vendors must love my business when I screw up and break things.

Back