Can't get my RRC3 to connect with MDACS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopy

Reaction score
Okay - so, I bought an RRC3 and the I/O package. I downloaded the MDACS software, and the drivers they say I need. I then plug the I/O board into the laptop with the supplied USB cable, and plug the I/O board into the RRC3 with the supplied patch cable. When I plug the I/O board into the laptop, it comes up and says the USB device malfunctioned and can't be recognized by the computer. What am I missing here?

Turn on laptop
Connect cable
Start MDACS
Turn on RRC3
Quickly hit connect in MDACS

It works something like that for the BT connection, perhaps try it that way for USB?

All I can say is to follow the procedure in the RRC3 instructions, as stated.

@jmasterj had it.

If you do what seems to make sense with other products, or other PnP stuff, it may not work.

Also, be sure you use a good USB cable (I think they give you one) that does data transmission, not just charging.

I think it's slightly different;

Turn on laptop (driver installed and correct port chosen)
Connect USB cable from computer to I/O board
Connect ribbon cable to I/O board
Start MDACS
Turn on RRC3
Click connect in MDACS
Connect ribbon cable to RRC3

As long as the ribbon cable is plugged into the RRC3 with 20 seconds it should connect to mDACS.

Grr...I've tried all of those ways, then broke down and bought the blue tooth board, and I can't get it to connect to either laptop with the Bluetooth board either...

Grr...I've tried all of those ways, then broke down and bought the blue tooth board, and I can't get it to connect to either laptop with the Bluetooth board either...

After you attached the Bluetooth module to the RRC3, and then turned on the RRC3, were you able to "pair"
with the bluetooth on your computer?

Here is something that you may want to look at.

If the "pairing" worked, Windows will assign a "Com" for In and Out. The mDACS software needs the Com number
that was assigned for the Out. You will assign/select that Com port in the mDACS "System Preferences" tab.

You select it in the "Active Comm Port" box. And you want to have a "check mark" for the Bluetooth Module.

Every once in a while the port you select will not stick. So you will want to go back to that tab and see if
the selected port is still showing in the box.

After the "pairing" make sure you turn off the RRC3. Then open mDACS, select the Com port, and then
move to the "RRC3 Viewer" tab. When you're ready, turn on the RRC3 and click on RRC3 Host Connect
in the Viewer tab menu. mDACS should now connect to the RRC3. The beeping/buzzing noise will stop
and the little LED on the Bluetooth module will stay on - no flashing.

Last edited:
After you attached the Bluetooth module to the RRC3, and then turned on the RRC3, were you able to "pair"

If the "pairing" worked, Windows will assign a "Com" for In and Out. The mDACS software needs the Com number
that was assigned for the Out. You will assign/select that Com port in the mDACS "System Preferences" tab.

You select it in the "Active Comm Port" box. And you want to have a "check mark" for the Bluetooth Module.

Every once in a while the port you select will not stick. So you will want to go back to that tab and see if

After the "pairing" make sure you turn off the RRC3. Then open mDACS, select the Com port, and then
move to the "RRC3 Viewer" tab. When you're ready, turn on the RRC3 and click on RRC3 Host Connect
in the Viewer tab menu. mDACS should now connect to the RRC3. The beeping/buzzing noise will stop
Okay - cool. I think I had put it on the In port. I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks!

Okay - cool. I think I had put it on the In port. I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks!

One other tip.

If a small window pops open telling you the "RRC3 Communication Failed", go ahead and turn off
the RRC3 and close the mDACS program. Wait a second or two and reopen mDACS. Go to the
"Systems Preference" tab and see if your Com port selection is still there. If not, then select it
again and be sure the Bluetooth Module option is "checked".

Now go to the "RRC3 Viewer" tab, turn on the RRC3, and click on the Host Connect.

Are you running Windows 10 or 11? I'm not running Windows 11 yet. And I think I have only
seen one comment about mDACS having a hiccup with Windows 11.

The whole finicky thing is the problem with the RRC3. That's why the Strattologgers are in such demand. As long as the software is running, com port selected, USB connected and altimeter powered up, the software will recognize the altimeter and download the data. The power on the altimeter, port selection and plugging in the data cable can be done in any order and there are no finicky time limits. Have not been able to consistently get data from a RRC3 and once it wiped the memory of all flights.

The whole finicky thing is the problem with the RRC3. That's why the Strattologgers are in such demand. As long as the software is running, com port selected, USB connected and altimeter powered up, the software will recognize the altimeter and download the data. The power on the altimeter, port selection and plugging in the data cable can be done in any order and there are no finicky time limits. Have not been able to consistently get data from a RRC3 and once it wiped the memory of all flights.
Not going to lie...I haven't flown this thing yet, and I've been tempted to contact MissileWorks for a refund and send all three pieces back and get another PerfectFlite product. I love my HiAlt45k.

So it's not a Windows 11 issue.
No. Here in a few minutes, I'll try again with the blue tooth. I'm able to pair it with my computer, but wasn't getting mDACS to connect to it. I'll try again making sure to select the output port this time.

Okay - I found out which port was Outgoing, and that seems to have worked...thanks so much!

Followed the advice from QFactor, and I'm able to connect to it with the BlueTooth now. Thanks for the help!

Back