Incidence angles for Estes Strato Blaster?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_matt_II

Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct incidence angles for this kit?

I need the wing and stabilizer angles with respect to the thrust line.

The thrust line appears to be coincident with the top of the fuse as a reference.

Thanks very much in advance,

Matt

It's been a long time since I built mine... I believe it's supposed to be 0-0. The booms are shaped to fit the top of the wing and when fit correctly you have the bottom of the boom even with the bottom of the wing. There isn't supposed to be any dihedral in the wing, so it's a nice flat bottom.

Looking at the directions again seems to support this.

kj

Hi kj, thanks for the reply.

I clipped a couple of things from the manual

First is a side view of the fuse. I can tell everyone that the rocket motor thrust line is parallel to the top of the fuse. In my installation the thrust line is probabaly 6 mm lower than the plans becasue i am running a 32 mm motor, but in any case the thrust line is parallel to this fuse top.

On the airfoil, I drew the line from the TE to the LE. I don't claim this line has any aerodynamic siginifcance (like a zero lift line or camber line or anything like that). I just drew it for a reference line, and it is about 2.4 degrees "positive" in relation to the tope of the fuse.

strato side view 2.JPG

Now for the booms.

This is a side view of the boom. I have rotated it so that the top of this boom is level. As best as I can tell, the horizontal stabilizer runs parallel to the top of this boom.

So however you install this boom, the stab goes with it. Zero on the top of the boom, zero on the stab.

When I get home I will jig the fuse/wing and the boom up and get the measurement for the top of the boom.....more later.

Strato booms.JPG

Its supposed to be self aligning. Shrug, I just followed the directions and it worked fine.

kj

I hear you, I was hoping that I could get a number i could check against.

Looks like the horizontal would be about 0.5 degrees negative, I am going to bite the bullet and zero that out...what a crap shoot.

Back