I'll let you track this AP "reporter" down and correct them.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't heard anything about this. How did he lose his hands? I take it it was not a model rocket (I don't see how a model rocket could have done that)..Pipe filled with match heads?

There is an amputation online magazine????:confused:

Oh, man! Where do I sign up?:rolleyes:

"Denis Chatelier, a 33-year-old house painter and father of two, whose hands were blown off when a home-made model rocket he was showing to his nephews exploded prematurely..."
-The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Health Tribune

He was probably using a 2-litre bottle and an ammonia solution.

Originally posted by Gus
"Denis Chatelier, a 33-year-old house painter and father of two, whose hands were blown off when a home-made model rocket he was showing to his nephews exploded prematurely..."
-The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Health Tribune
"Exploded prematurely" implies that it was *supposed* to explode, just not when it did.

Originally posted by JRThro
"Exploded prematurely" implies that it was *supposed* to explode, just not when it did.

As I said in another thread somewhere (maybe not on this board?), don't put any stock in the details from any one story about the incident, especially when they don't pertain to the actual subject of the story (the meeting), and expecially when that incident took place nearly 10 years ago. Remember that official investigations generate reports of from dozens to hundreds of pages. A reporter usually condenses things to a few dozen *lines*, and in doing so, throws out things he/she doesn't understand and maybe adds a shortcut or two that is inaccurate.

That's why you've *got* to read/watch/hear any news with a critical mind. I don't blame journalists (I was one myself many moon ago); they've got tons of constraints on them, and they can't be subject matter experts of everything they encounter.

Back