Ignitor Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berlinetta

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Quest Q2G2 ignitors for their HPR rockets? If so, how did they perform? I am thinking about using them for my L3 cert, as I don't have a LEUP to get regular ematches. I have some ematches with canisters but I don't want to have an accedental secondary explosion when the first charge goes off. I was thinking about using the new Blastcaps.

I use the Q2G2s to fire ejection charges with no problem at all. They are very low current, and work well with most altimeters and timers. Typical resistance is around 3 ohms. They fire instantly from a 9V battery.

I use them to fire charges of Pyrodex or Triple Seven powder, contained in small plastic vials. The combination of Q2G2s and a BP substitute allows you to do dual deployment without a LEUP or other BATFE hassles. The BP substitutes need a bit more confinement than regular BP would. I wrap my ejection vials with several layers of electrical tape, and this seems to work well.

Make sure to ground test everything thoroughly, using the exact charge construction you intend to fly with.

I have regular BP. It is good to know that they will fire from altimeters. I will be ground testing for sure.

Dude, it's all I use for deployment any more. Small, cheap enough. Fire with a PerfectFlight alt (capacitive discharge).

Now then, heres a secret...... don't tell anyone.....:rolleyes: I sometimes order Quest bulk pack LPR motors.
Well, they ignite just fine with Estes igniters (which I have boxes of spares).

Then I save up some Q2G2 's for deployments.

Also Iv'e been making Crimson Powder for deployment lately. They work just fine with that (as one would expect).
And Iv'e used Q2G2 to ignite various Aerotech 24/40 reloads when screw-up the copperheads.

They are a great rocketry multi-tasker.

--
always ground test (because the niehbors love that!) your mileage may vary.....

Last edited:
Back