I miss those days... Estes' descriptions of their rockets.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever happened to them... Those descriptions in the catalogs were inspiring. The new ones don't even include those cool little icons that gave us the basics (plastic/balsa nosecones, 'chute size, balsa/plastic fins, etc.). Come on guys... Catalogs are meant to get us fired up.. I cite the following:

Then: Estes 1985 Catalog pg 50.

D-REGION TOMAHAWK
SKILL LEVEL 3 Our version of NASA's
Sounding rocket, Flight No. 12.08 G.T., is an ex-
cellent choice for your first scale model. Almost
3 feet tall, Tomahawk features large, easy-to-
assemble parts and realistic flights to 800 feet.
Recovery is via huge 18" parachute. A 3/16"
Maxi-Rod recommended for launch. Length:
35.5 Dia. 1.637" wt. 3.7 oz.
Engines: D12-5(1st Flt.). D12-7
no. 1944

Now: Estes 2013 Catalog Pg 62.

2037 D-Region Tomahawk
Length: 38.8 in (98.6 cm)
Diameter: 1.8 in (46 mm)
Estimated Weight: 9.2 oz (260 g)
Fins: Plastic
Recovery: 18 in (46 cm) Parachute
Projected Altitude: 750 ft (229 m)
Recommended Engines: D12-5 (First Flight), E9-6*
Requires 3/16 in (5 mm) Maxi™ launch rod (2244), sold separately.

Which one do you think would motivate me more to buy? Just the plain-old-facts? OR The reason it's SO COOL?

BTW, here's a concept idea of a modern icon set (I added laser cut fins)...

Last edited:
well very few Estes rockets are coming with balsa nose cones these days, and the days of die crushed fins seems to be over(thank goodness) so the list of icons can be trimmed a bit :). the 1974 cat had a description followed by the spec.s...and yes I preferred that method.
Rex

I liked the imaginative short stories that went behind their sci-fi/fantasy type kits... remember those??

I want another rocket with twin-circulating Vectron engines... :)

Later! OL JR :)

I liked the imaginative short stories that went behind their sci-fi/fantasy type kits... remember those??

I want another rocket with twin-circulating Vectron engines... :)

Later! OL JR :)

You are so 22nd century. Quad-circulating Vectron engines are the way to go!

I agree. The descriptive ads are way more interesting. I see no reason why they can't have both the fun descriptions and the "just the facts ma'am" descriptions in the same ad.

I like your icons.

Icons are better to scan quickly for out modern internet crowd, but I miss the descriptions.

well very few Estes rockets are coming with balsa nose cones these days, and the days of die crushed fins seems to be over(thank goodness) so the list of icons can be trimmed a bit :). the 1974 cat had a description followed by the spec.s...and yes I preferred that method.
Rex

It seems to me that the plastic nose cones are the ones that are coming out less often nowadays. I have Photon Probes and Photon Disruptors that had plastic nose cones, where as the 21st century versions of the same have balsa.

[EDIT]Die Crushed fins do seem to be history, however, I still find Die Cut fiber parts (centering rings mainly) in new products I buy.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
You are so 22nd century. Quad-circulating Vectron engines are the way to go!

Man... What kind of geezers are you?! Dodecahedron-Circulating Omnitron engines have been out for years (All the speed, none of that annoying vectron turbulance).

Man... What kind of geezers are you?! Dodecahedron-Circulating Omnitron engines have been out for years (All the speed, none of that annoying vectron turbulance).

I'm always the last to know!

Speaking of being so last century, who uses catalogs any more? Well, me, sometimes, but online is the way people shop. And online at https://www.estesrockets.com/002037-d-region-tomahawktm it says:
002037 - D-Region Tomahawk™ Description

Skill Level 2
Bring on the Beauty and the Beast! For all model rocket enthusiasts out there that enjoy building and launching scale rockets, the Estes D-Region Tomahawk is for you! This authentic rocket is a 1/5 scale of NASA's sounding rocket. Launched only one time in 1968, this rocket was designed to take measurements of the D-layer of the ionosphere - thus its name. Our version of this fantastic scale rocket captures all the detail of the original in an easy to assemble model that flies as good as it looks.
In terms of performance, this gigantic rocket can blast nearly 800 feet high when powered with our *E engine. If you don't want to test the limits of your visibility, we've included an adapter to launch on Estes D engines. Finally, to protect this beautiful scale model when it lands, we've included an 18 inch preassembled nylon parachute! Get in touch with your inner astronaut today!

Additional Information

Technical SpecificationsSkill Level 2
Length: 38.8 in. (98.6 cm)
Diameter: 1.8 in. (46 mm)
Estimated Weight: 9.2 oz. (260 g)

Molded Plastic Fins, Waterslide Decals, 18 in. (46 cm) Nylon Parachute Recovery

Recommended Engines: D12-5, *E9-6

Projected Max Altitude: 750 ft. (229 m)

Estes model rocketry is recommended for ages 10 and up with adult supervision for those under 12. Unless otherwise specified, all models require assembly. Tools, construction and finishing supplies sold separately. In order to launch, a launch system, 3/16 in. (5mm) Maxi™ Launch Rod, model rocket engines, igniters and recovery wadding are required - sold separately - unless otherwise specified.
*Requires Estes Porta-Pad® E and E™ Launch Controller, when launching E Engines - sold separately.
And there's an embedded video, which appears to have been omitted from the 1985 catalog.

Speaking of being so last century, who uses catalogs any more? Well, me, sometimes, but online is the way people shop. And online at https://www.estesrockets.com/002037-d-region-tomahawktm it says:

And there's an embedded video, which appears to have been omitted from the 1985 catalog.

Rich,

The appeal of a catalog is that it is tangible, unchanging, it doesn't require a computer or electricity to work it's magic. Websites aren't any of the above.

I would like to point out that this is an online forum, which seems to lead weight to the modern side of things. We could instead be having this exchange through letters written on paper and mailed.

Thanks for sharing the comparative reviews, I found it quite interesting. Now people can also google the rocket or watch YouTube videos for more information. The catalogue is not the only source.

Andrew

The complete and total death of the catalog can't come soon enough for me. It seams like half of my mail is small catalogs...they just go straight to the recycling bin. The ubiquitous nature of electricity and the internet have rendered them obsolite in my life. I view my iPad as the super catalog, it is small, doesn't require organization, only requires charging at night, and lets me place my order without any hastle. In short it is the perfect shopping experience. Sure, I can't browse a catalog when the power is out, but then again I can't read or place an order in the evening when the power is out either.

I'm not really a nostalgia type person, and clutter gives me anxiety attacks, so those things certainly color my view.

Rich,

The appeal of a catalog is that it is tangible, unchanging, it doesn't require a computer or electricity to work it's magic. Websites aren't any of the above.
Sure, I know that. I said,
Speaking of being so last century, who uses catalogs any more? Well, me, sometimes...
and for those reasons. But most people these days — including me — rely on the web rather than catalogs for (non-in-store) shopping.

One of the cool factors of the paper catalog as I implied before, is that you can go back to it (perhaps years later), and find that special kit you forgot about. Often websites change rapidly, and it makes it harder to make those accidental rediscoveries. Paper catalogs can serve (pun intended) as a launching point for further research with the web however.

I realize that there are people with clutter issues (good or bad), but I can't sell you an online copy of the 1972 Centuri catalog on Ebay now could I? Paper catalogs can be a source of nostalgia, and profit.

If you don't want paper catalogs, you can often go to the website of the vendor and opt out, or at the very least (hopefully) stick them in the recycling bin.

Paper or Photons, It's all got it's place.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

I never use the catalog. Gimme a browser and a network any day. I try, and often fail, to not lament the days gone by. Better to look ahead. Guess that's my take on it. :wink:

I never use the catalog. Gimme a browser and a network any day. I try, and often fail, to not lament the days gone by. Better to look ahead. Guess that's my take on it. :wink:

You saying that you've never cloned a classic rocket? :eyepop:

Dude you're missing so much! ;)

Of course I have! But because its a fun rocket, not because I lament the days it was a new and not classic. Besides I said "and often fail"

I just got back into Rocketry a couple Months ago, and happened to pick up an Estes Catolog at the Local Hobby Shop. I like to look at the Rockets and come up with my own Backround Stories for them. Like what is the Story behind the "Moon Mutt" or the "Dink"?????

You can't hide the internet in your chemistry textbook. Sorry- I have to go now...the guy on the horse is waiting outside with the mail....

This thread deserves to be resurrected. How can you not remember the fun of hiding under the covers way past your bedtime with the catalog and a flashlight? And back then, flashlights were not a dime-a-dozen...I think we had just one in the whole house and got in trouble if it wasn't where it belonged. Kinda like a stapler (few households had one). And I'm not THAT old!

"Hidden in the ship's nose, on a retractable carriage, is a quad mounted, choke barrel, hyper-ballistic vacuum gun" :wink:

I agree that catalogs are not quite dead yet.

Recently, i got two of my great nephews, ages 6 & 8, into rocketry. I had showed them Youtube videos and Estes online website including the pdf catalog on their Android tablets I got for them last Christmas. They both thought it was neat and came out to a launch. At the launch I gave them a couple of paper catalogs. They were way more excited about those. Seems the online internet experience is so ordinary now. A tangible catalog is something a bit more "special".

Jerome :)

I've got all my old catalogs from 76 to 81 when I first flew, and 93, first BAR, 2004, 05 2nd bar and now 2013 and 2014. The old ones are like my best oldest friends... I recently tried to spread sheet all my kits, builds and flying rockets, and so I used the catalogs as reference materil. Maddening are the years that they didnt even list what size parachute.
TimE

Whatever happened to them... Those descriptions in the catalogs were inspiring. The new ones don't even include those cool little icons that gave us the basics (plastic/balsa nosecones, 'chute size, balsa/plastic fins, etc.). Come on guys... Catalogs are meant to get us fired up.. I cite the following:

Then: Estes 1985 Catalog pg 50.

Now: Estes 2013 Catalog Pg 62.

Which one do you think would motivate me more to buy? Just the plain-old-facts? OR The reason it's SO COOL?

Some of the new descriptive copy sounds strange. From the Cosmic Explorer page:
"Just another great rocket! What can we say? Only that we employ some of the finest and best rocket designers in the world!"

The Centuri R & D department designed that Centurion in the early 1970s. I doubt the same R&D team are still in Penrose.
Estes currently has great designers but give credit where it is due.

Yep, my son too was excited about the paper catalog. He proceeded to put his initials next to the rockets on his wish list. My daughter did the same. Then they wanted to make sure to put a "D" next to the rockets for Dad. These are tech savvy 10 & 12 year olds...

My nephew really enjoyed the hard copy catalog too. He comes to our house after school to do homework, and for awhile he liked to get out the catalog and leaf through it while having his snack. When I get the 2014 for myself, I'm going to get him a copy too.

Latest posts

Back