• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Hypothetical Altitude question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
I know that cold air is more dense than warm air. We know this because cold/cool canyon winds flow downhill..."cold air drainage".

And I believe that moist air, containing more "lighter" water molecules, tends to be less dense than dry air.

This leads me to the question, would a given rocket fly higher (all things equal) on a cool day or a warm day...and on a warm moist day or a warm drier day?

Would we see higher flights on a day when it was about to rain? Or on cold dry winter days?

for max speed/altitude you want the lowest density air you can get...the eye of a hurricane would likely give the best results :).
Rex

The answer all depends upon how fast the rocket is going to fly. If is transonic or slightly supersonic, you want a warm day where the speed of sound is faster. Generally, I'd think a warm humid day with low pressure sounds good - go with the eye of the hurricane suggestion.

Drag is proportional to density. Altitude causes the greatest reduction in density that you can choose, so pick a launch side with a base altitude over 4150' so you don't have to find a cyclone with a minimum pressure equal to Typhoon Tip. Hot air is also less dense, but you can't always pick your temperature.

A high plains desert environment like Black Rock, or in Colorado, New Mexico or Wyoming on a hot summer day will get you the highest altitude.

Bob

Back