Seriously, what season is this, monsoon or winter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Seriously, what season is this, monsoon or winter ❓

From the National Weather Service's 7 day forecast page for here;

"Tonight Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 1am, then rain after 1am. Low around 35. Breezy, with a north northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Thursday Rain before 9am, then rain and snow between 9am and noon, then rain after noon. High near 41. Breezy, with a north wind 17 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no snow accumulation expected. "

➡ Oh, wait, I forgot, here is here, therefore that is normal; http://climate.missouri.edu/climate.php

Climate of Missouri
Wayne L. Decker
Professor Emeritus
University of Missouri

Missouri has a continental type of climate marked by strong seasonality. In winter, dry-cold air masses, unchallenged by any topographic barriers, periodically swing south from the northern plains and Canada. If they invade, reasonably humid air, snowfall and rainfall result. In summer, moist, warm air masses, equally unchallenged by topographic barriers, swing north from the Gulf of Mexico and can produce copious amounts of rain, either by fronts or by convectional processes. In some summers, high pressure stagnates over Missouri, creating extended droughty periods. Spring and fall are transitional seasons when abrupt changes in temperature and precipitation may occur due to successive, fast-moving fronts separating contrasting air masses.

Still a cold rain here in Canton, Illinois today. Stinks if you ask me. I want warm and mild so I can get back to walking a track for 5 miles in under 2 hours to limber up the legs. Kurt

Cold rain, low ceilings, and 40kt gusts here in Northern Indiana. After our taste of warmer weather, I want it back. I'll take snow over the 2" of rain causing muddy slop.

High of 80 is pretty decent.
Now, if only the highs would refrain from exceeding that value! 😄

Quoting the Professor again;
Temperatures over 100° F are rare, but they have occurred in every section of the State. In the summer, temperatures rise to 90° F or higher on an average of 40 to 50 days in the west and north and 55 to 60 days in the southeast.

Oh, and since we recently did that clock change thing, this relates to that,
The length of daylight in Missouri (including refraction of sunlight), at latitude 39° north (approximately Columbia), varies from a low of 9 hours and 26 minutes on the December solstice to a high of 14 hours and 55 minutes on the June solstice. Thus, the annual range of length of daylight between the two solstices is approximately 5 1/2 hours. Comparable figures for latitude 36°30' north (Missouri-Arkansas state line) are 9 hours and 40 minutes and 14 hours and 30 minutes, an annual range of less than five hours. Comparable figures for latitude 40°30' north (approximately the Missouri-Iowa state line) are 9 hours and 17 minutes and 15 hours and 4 minutes, or an annual range of just less than 6 hours.

Seriously, what season is this, monsoon or winter ❓

From the National Weather Service's 7 day forecast page for here;

"Tonight Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 1am, then rain after 1am. Low around 35. Breezy, with a north northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Thursday Rain before 9am, then rain and snow between 9am and noon, then rain after noon. High near 41. Breezy, with a north wind 17 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no snow accumulation expected. "

➡ Oh, wait, I forgot, here is here, therefore that is normal; http://climate.missouri.edu/climate.php

A forecast like that wouldn't raise a single eyebrow in Ohio. Sounds like Spring.

There's been an inverse relationship lately between wind and rain. Usually, they go hand in hand. Tuesday looks like a decent low wind as long as it doesn't rain.

1616098317131.png

Back