HPR noob trying to get a handle on dual deployment.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the guys who use the Adept 22, what do you use for all the other accessories such as the 9V battery holder, on/off switch, etc.?

It was harder for me to find the 'accessories' than the altimeter. euro terminals, # 2 screws and nuts, nylon washer/standoff, two pluggable connections for the av bay lids, switch and connections...
Kenny

For my first dual deploy flight, I'm using an Adept22 altimeter. Aerocon and Radio Shack have Euro terminals.
https://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=terminal strip&origkw=terminal+strip&sr=1
https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/electronics/euro-terminal-blocks/

Micro Fasteners has #2 screws, nuts, lock nuts, washers, nylon washers, etc.
https://www.microfasteners.com/

I used a Molex connector from Radio Shack.
https://www.radioshack.com/product/...ce=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032231

For the switch, I used one of these and the brass pin and tube activation method. I cut the lever off mine though.
https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049718
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?44764-Mile-High-build-thread&p=440867#post440867

This switch from Aerocon seems to be one of the most popular on the forum, for its reliability. I'll probably be using them on my next dual deploy build.
https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/switches/through-mount-slotted-switch/

Wow, thanks a lot. Your build thread is covering a lot of what I was looking for. Great detail pics.

Where did you get the brass rod and the sleeve for it? Also, how did you attach the "Remove Before Flight" thing to the rod?

Wow, thanks a lot. Your build thread is covering a lot of what I was looking for. Great detail pics.

Where did you get the brass rod and the sleeve for it? Also, how did you attach the "Remove Before Flight" thing to the rod?

I got the brass rod and tube from OSH. The rod is 3/16" diameter, and the tube fits over it not exactly snugly. I haven't attached the flag to it yet. I was going to flatten one end and drill a hole through it, but that didn't work. So I might solder a short piece of tube to the end and flatten that.

Hey Jim, so let me get this straight....You fit the altimeter(s) to your sled, install the terminals on each end of the avbay. You wire the altimeters to the corresponding terminal(main or apogee, etc). Then you just wire up the Q2's/bp canisters to the terminals. I'm guessing this is basically to keep everything neat and tidy?
I'm loving Green Jello's threads, we seem to be at about the same level of rocketry experience. Need to go to the Apogee site and check out the vids there too.

Hey Jim, so let me get this straight....You fit the altimeter(s) to your sled, install the terminals on each end of the avbay. You wire the altimeters to the corresponding terminal(main or apogee, etc). Then you just wire up the Q2's/bp canisters to the terminals. I'm guessing this is basically to keep everything neat and tidy?
I'm loving Green Jello's threads, we seem to be at about the same level of rocketry experience. Need to go to the Apogee site and check out the vids there too.

From what I understand, the av-bay has to be sealed. Apparently the black powder fumes and residue can damage the electronics. The holes that the wires go through in the end caps will be sealed with silicone.

I'm glad at least someone does. I always feel like I'm being a pest asking too many questions.

I wish there were more high power launches. I learn more in 5 minutes of looking at this stuff in person that I can in weeks of forum and web research.

Edit: Wait.....that just sounded like I'm not 100% grateful for the help here. That couldn't be further from the truth. I love this place and you guys.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm using 2ml centrifuge tubes for the charges. I got them from Ebay. They came from China in less than a week. I'm using Estes ignitors for testing, but for the actual flights, I'll use Q2G2 ignitors. For both ignitors, I glue them into the tubes with a hot glue gun.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?44764-Mile-High-build-thread&p=429914#post429914

Do you pack them with something to keep all the black powder down at the tip with the igniter head while in flight?

Edit: I just saw the pics and your test videos in the other thread. Clearly they are packed. Is that just dog barf? How tight does it need to be?

Last edited:
I have both Stratologgers and Adept 22's. If I have a rocket that I want to study the telemetry, I use the stratologger because I can download the data to my computer. If all I want to do is send a rocket high and take an onboard view with a camera, and the speed it flies is not important, I use the Adept 22. Both are very easy to use and very reliable.

As far as charges are concerned, I was not able to buy FFFF BP, but was able to buy FFF. It works fine. I just make sure that it is somewhat contained. I have read that pyrodex can be used if you contain it with electrical tape, so I tested the same amount of 777 pyrodex against FFF BP. The BP makes a substantially larger explosion.

I started with pvc charge containers, but after a while they can crack. I have had better luck with copper pipe endcaps.

Is this generally installed so it's flush on the outside of the rocket body, or do you reach in to access it through one of the vent holes?

You can do both, mount it on the switch band or the altimeter sled. It depends on what works for you.

Is this generally installed so it's flush on the outside of the rocket body, or do you reach in to access it through one of the vent holes?

I've seen it done both ways. Part of it depends on if you have enough clearance inside the av-bay to mount them in the vent band.

I highly suggest not to embed the arming switch inside where you cannot reach it. I have had one altimiter bay fail due to bad epoxy where the internal switch was not accessible after a crash - the failure of the epoxy allowed the altimiter to move away from the vent hole and we had to handle the AV bay with live charges.

Twist and Tuck methods have a similar problem. My own method uses either an accessible switch or twist and tape (wires on the outside).

A couple of new questions for today:

Clearly the sled on threaded rod seems to be the standard around here. What do most people use as the tubes that slide over the rod? I've seen some that are brass tubing, but doesn't that have some play in it and clink around with movement?

Also, I'd love to see other examples of what people use for charge holders. The PVC caps seem too large and break over time. I've heard of bullet casings. The centerfuge things look like a good one. What else?

For those who use the Quest Q2G2 igniters, do you use the standard ones or the 8"?

Last edited:
I have used the tubes that copperhead igniters are packed in with the AT reload kits.

G.D.

cardboard tubes are plenty strong enough for most flights - epoxy is not typically encasing these. If Rocketry Planet was up I would point you to some AV bay build threads there but alas that's still down.

Plastic straws are probably strong enough but hard to glue due to materials.

99% of my av bays are using cardboard sleeves for attachment of the sled. Most of these use LOC launch lugs but some use other tubes like the igniter tubes you are talking about.

I hadn't thought about the LOC launch lugs. Those things are really sturdy.

For the guys who use the Adept 22, what do you use for all the other accessories such as the 9V battery holder, on/off switch, etc.?

+1 for Adept22. I really want to get a PerfectFlite Stratologger some day but the cost of the Adept22 won out. I bought a simple 9v snap on lead from Radio Shack and then zip tie the batter to the sled. The switch is a push on/off switch from Radio Shack. I really like the looks of the blast caps but cost again won out on this rocket and I used copper pipe caps. This rocket has flown 4 times now. Once on and I211 to "practice" DD and then my L2 cert on a J215 then in a dragrace with another J215. The last flight was at Distant Thunder on a K270 to just over a mile. My personal best altitude. I use FFFFg. I bought a bottle of FFFg at Cabela's and used it for ground tests and very unspectacular results. I then used some left over FFFFg from AeroTech reloads and popped the chute perfectly. I struggle to find someone that had it in stock locally and then found out our local Rocket dealer sells it so i bought a small vial from him. Definitely get some FFFFg in California like suggested above.

Wildcat AV Bay 1.jpgWildcat AV Bay 2.jpgWildcat AV Bay 3.jpgWildcat.jpg

+1 for Adept22. I really want to get a PerfectFlite Stratologger some day but the cost of the Adept22 won out. I bought a simple 9v snap on lead from Radio Shack and then zip tie the batter to the sled. The switch is a push on/off switch from Radio Shack. I really like the looks of the blast caps but cost again won out on this rocket and I used copper pipe caps. This rocket has flown 4 times now. Once on and I211 to "practice" DD and then my L2 cert on a J215 then in a dragrace with another J215. The last flight was at Distant Thunder on a K270 to just over a mile. My personal best altitude. I use FFFFg. I bought a bottle of FFFg at Cabela's and used it for ground tests and very unspectacular results. I then used some left over FFFFg from AeroTech reloads and popped the chute perfectly. I struggle to find someone that had it in stock locally and then found out our local Rocket dealer sells it so i bought a small vial from him. Definitely get some FFFFg in California like suggested above.

View attachment 107305View attachment 107306View attachment 107307View attachment 107308

Cool KSU rocket!

That red switch......o you just press it with some type of rod through the vent holes?

Definitely get some FFFFg in California like suggested above.
Do NOT mention "rocketry" or "rockets" when you purchase the "special sauce". FFFFg is used to ignite flintlocks. It goes in the frizzen/pan assembly and flashes the black powder inside the barrel behind the wadding and musket ball.

View attachment 107312

If you mention either of the forbidden words when attempting to purchase black powder the sale will undoubtedly go bad.

View attachment 107313

"Anvil lofting" seems not be an issue, tho.

Latest posts

Back