How to remove tape residue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvgdgts

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Noob here.

I was going to register and introduce myself, but I have a problem I thought I should solve sooner rather than later.

I am finishing a build on a 3D Rocketry Lunar Eclipse. I painted it last weekend using Rustoleum Color shift Galaxy Blue. That part came off great! I taped it off with Frog tape to paint the fin inserts and I now have adhesive on the Rustoleum.
mad.png

Does anyone have a way to get that off? I'd sure appreciate any help.
confused.png

Try rubbing alcohol, that's about the weakest solvent that will cut tape glue. Try it on a scrap painted piece first though. Good Luck and let's see a pic when its done. :cool:

+1 on the alcohol. Once I was working with epoxy and had an open bottle of rubbing alcohol on the workbench. I accidentally knocked it over and splashed alcohol all over a nearby rocket. It didn't hurt the enamel paint at all. But definitely test it on scrap first. Whether or not it damages the paint will also depend on how long the paint has had to cure.

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the recommendations. I saw a post earlier today where the member had a real mess after using alcohol on a lacquer paint. This is enamel based. It's a unique paint, though and it came out so nice that I don't want to ruin it.

I'll be happy to put up some pics when it's finished.

Use goo-gone. Get it at lowes walcommunistmart also carries it.

Well, I tried the rubbing alcohol. It didn't seem to affect the paint, but the appearance didn't improve either. There isn't a tacky feel, so perhaps it isn't adhesive residue, but imperfection left from peeling the tape back. I may just shoot another coat.

Target, have you used Goo-Gone on enamel?

Not sure I would use GooGone on enamel paint, in fact don`t !

.......I already tried it one time :facepalm:

GooGone is great stuff though ,I always have a bottle in my shop.

Paul T

Those marks left in the enamel can occur if the paint is not cured enough ,or the tape left on too long (I remove tape ASAP after painting) or if left in the sun.

I personally like to wait at LEAST a week before masking over enamel ,not as long over lacquers(Rustoleum) or Acrylic lacquers(certain Duplicolr/Color match)

My favorite tape for masking Tamiya tape ,been using it for many years ,and 3M Blue tape for filling in.

Indeed ,painting can be a learning curve.

Cheers

Paul T

Those marks left in the enamel can occur if the paint is not cured enough ,or the tape left on too long (I remove tape ASAP after painting) or if left in the sun.

I personally like to wait at LEAST a week before masking over enamel ,not as long over lacquers(Rustoleum) or Acrylic lacquers(certain Duplicolr/Color match)

My favorite tape for masking Tamiya tape ,been using it for many years ,and 3M Blue tape for filling in.

Indeed ,painting can be a learning curve.

Cheers

Paul T
That's the frustrating thing. I had waited a week.

Well, I think I may have lucked out. I shot one more coat of the Rustoleum and it looks like the imperfections are gone. At least I hope.

For anyone that may be wondering, this color shift stuff is amazing.

Well, I tried the rubbing alcohol. It didn't seem to affect the paint, but the appearance didn't improve either. There isn't a tacky feel, so perhaps it isn't adhesive residue, but imperfection left from peeling the tape back. I may just shoot another coat.

Target, have you used Goo-Gone on enamel?[/QUOTE
I haven't. Do you have an area you could test? Its kinda mild.

Target, have you used Goo-Gone on enamel?
I haven't. Do you have an area you could test? Its kinda mild.
The extra coat of paint last night took care of the problem, so I won't need to chance the Goo-Gone.

Just a tip on masking..

I have found the best tape for masking is just a fresh roll of regular masking tape. By fresh, I mean a roll that has not been in the garage over the summer...etc... Blue tape bleeds too much or doesn't stick well.. and frog tape is gooey. I usually remove the tape the next day or as soon as the surface is dry to the touch.

Jerome

One word....Tamiya Tape !

no gimicks ,very thin ,conforms to compound curve ,comes in 4 widths,no residue.Lay it down, burnish the edges ,paint and peel off as soon as the paint has set up.

It`s used in the model making world for a reason :wink:

Paul t

Back