How to open and repack small bearings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockie

High Plains Rocketeer
Reaction score
20220809_122550.jpg

Are these sealed bearings? 🤔 Or can they be opened up with a small pick?

I need to remove the packing grease,clean them,and repack with molybdenum disulfide grease.
Was going to clean with 99% isopropyl alcohol ,then wd 40.

The tops may look like rubber seal but they are metal.

are these really rare / expensive to replace?

Personally, I would just replace them. My hourly rate far exceeds the cost of 2 small bearings from McMaster..

But then again, I've repacked a few bearings.

If you buy new ones there are multiple variations of the 608 bearing like you have there. The z on the end means metal seal on one side, zz is metal on both sides.
Rs and Rs2 is the same but with rubber seals instead of metal.

If you buy new ones there are multiple variations of the 608 bearing like you have there. The z on the end means metal seal on one side, zz is metal on both sides.
Rs and Rs2 is the same but with rubber seals instead of metal.
Thanks for that info.! I'll get some rs/rs2 so I can repack them.

removing the shields whether plastic/rubber or metal will allow you to repack them BUT, even if you put the shields back they many not actually be sealed any longer and when the bearing warms up the grease may leak out...a little or a lot. Most of the time I have seen a Z bearing used (and its R equivalent) they are at the ends of tubes that have a shaft running through it and the tube is grease filled.

Back