How to: Making a Parachute(with pics)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread motivated me to finish up a chute I've been working on for a while now. I brought it home with me while visiting my folks so I could use my mom's high power sewing machine. Rip-stop nylon came from the scrap pile of one of her fabric artist buddies, used Nakka's 80cm hemi gore patterns.

Here are 2 photos, one of the chute on the floor and the obligatory inflated pic (sorry no scissors) :)

kj

View attachment IMG_1583.JPG

View attachment IMG_1582.JPG

One piece of yellow remaining. Still free to a good parachute maker.

UPDATE: Jan 2
Last piece of yellow spoken for.
A public thank you is in order here for Powderburner. Some yellow nylon chutes will be appearing in the San Diego area in the near future :D
(Maybe it was my username that he liked ;))
RimfireJim

You are very welcome. I was happy to be able to pass on some of this material. Have fun with the stuff!

great write up. also invite folks to consider other geometries. Think about a soccer ball or geodesic dome--they work in both buildings and chutes.
see attached as an example.
JS

Now that's an idea.
Sewing straight lines.
Where, oh where, does one get a pattern for that?

edit:
I got it figured out.

After trying to work out the gores to make the best use of the material I decided to go with a X-Form design.

The material is from Hobby Lobby. (Light Rip Stop Nylon) and the lines are braided nylon cord.

My wife sews them for me. I'm not allowed to touch her sewing machine.

The X-Form design makes the best use of the material with very little waste.

Notice the seams...my wife insists that the thread used in the seams must match the material!:rolleyes:

Basically the shape of the main section is 2:4 and the "flaps are 1:2.

Now, what happens if you start with an X-form like Gordon has and sew the corners together as indicated in the attached?
Leave the seams open and just sew up the points.
And use 4 suspension lines.
Would be somewhat similar to what the military is going (has gone) to for personnel parachutes.

XformBox2.jpg

Now, what happens if you start with an X-form like Gordon has and sew the corners together as indicated in the attached?
Would be somewhat similar to what the military is going (has gone) to for personnel parachutes.

Hmmmm...I should have a spare one of those chutes. I'll have to experiment and see.

That would then only have 4 lines, right?

I have found ripstop at joannes in the clearence section for $2.00 a yard.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=17259&highlight=home+made+chutes

Now I remember where I got the idea for the attachment loops! ;) I've gotten some ripstop on clearance there too, just seems spotty around here, and I rarely have a chance to go there and look. I've gotten the itch to make some more chutes lately, but this time I'm going to sew the lines directly to the gore seams.
I've got some Power Pro Dacron braided fishing line that I want to try out for the shroud lines. Appears to be the same stuff Semroc uses on their Nylon chutes.

This thread motivated me to finish up a chute I've been working on for a while now. I brought it home with me while visiting my folks so I could use my mom's high power sewing machine. Rip-stop nylon came from the scrap pile of one of her fabric artist buddies, used Nakka's 80cm hemi gore patterns.

Here are 2 photos, one of the chute on the floor and the obligatory inflated pic (sorry no scissors) :)

kj

Great looking chute Kev! Are you using some type of seam tape to clean up gore seams?

I like the sound of it.

Great looking chute Kev! Are you using some type of seam tape to clean up gore seams?

Yep. And even better- it's iron on stuff so I put two gores down, ironed on the seam tape to hold them, then ran them through the sewing machine. Made it easy.

Now- what rocket to put it in...

kj

Now to go get a cheap sewing machine...sigh..I have all this bright yellow rip stop hanging on a door just begging to be made into chutes..Another of those 'I'll get to it one of these days' things!:lol:

Jon,

If they are as popular there as they are here, watch for auctions and tag sales where entire households are sold off. Almost every older household had at least one sewing machine in it and most everyone who wants one already has one and normally doesn't need another or at least doesn't need another old one. We've bought one for five bucks just because the table it came in was nicer than ours. It wouldn't be great quality, but that probably isn't what you are looking for anyway.

Back