How to: Making a Parachute(with pics)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foose4string

Reaction score
I will attempt to document the steps and consolidate the information I gathered from here to make a nylon hemi parachute. Don't let your wife's or mother's sewing machine intimidate you...you can do it!:D Let me preface by saying, I have never attempted to sew anything in my life until a couple days ago. Previously, I cut and pinned fabric while the wife sewed, but I got brave and finally tried it myself. For some of you this is old hat and you maybe have variations on the method I am about to decribe, any input is welcomed. This just works for me.

Practice on a few scraps of fabric first and get to know the machine. It might help if someone is around who actually has some experience with sewing just in case you need some pointers starting out; threading the machine, reversing direction, changing stitch settings, etc. It's not hard, promise. :) I was sewing my own chutes the first day with the machine. Just take your time starting out, stitch slowly at first and don't let the machine get away from you, you're not working in a sweat shop!:)

You'll need some ripstop nylon fabric, obviously. It can be purchased in many different mils(thickness), textures, and colors....just like any fabric come to think of it. I usually just buy whatever is on the $1.50 clearance at Joanns or the dollar table at Walmart. A few yards of fabric will make a LOT of LPR chutes, and quite a few MPR chutes. We tend to like bright colors for spotting rockets, but for the cost difference, I'm not picky. This stuff generally runs $7+ dollars per yard at regular price, still not bad considering the price of a ready made chute. Here are some samples of fabric I scored from the discount tables...
ripstop fabric

First step is deciding the size chute you want and how many gores(panels). I discovered a link in another thread that helps with sizing the gores and printing a gore pattern, it can be found here.

Start with a six or eight gore pattern just starting out. I'm not entirely sure how hemi sizes work, but can tell you that an 8" hemi comes out looking and performing(probably better) more like a 12" hex parasheet. Your gore pattern will be limited to 12" on this program, mostly due to standard paper size, but I was able to stretch the 12" gore pattern to 125% with my printer settings. This took me to about a 14" gore, I'm guessing. I use a 50% sphere so I have enough fabric to make the hems. Don't get carried away with spillhole size. I went with .5 on the smaller chutes and 1 inch on the larger chutes. Those sizes will actually increase by a 1/2 inch or more once you hem the fabric, just keep that in mind when you size your spill hole.

For this demo, I chose to make an 8 gore hemi chute with the upscaled 12" pattern. I think I chose 1.5 for the spillhole size.

Cut out your paper pattern and transfer the outline to the fabric...I used a Sharpie for this. This is a familiar step for most of us who have cut out fin patterns in the past. :) Use a good pair of fabric scissors to cut out the gores from the fabric, this will limit the amount of fraying and give you a nice clean edge. You should wind up with 8 panels all the same size like this...
gore pattern

Next step is to start pinning the gores together. Start by pinning the gores in pairs like this...
pinned pairs

Note that the gores are all pinned on the same side and that the colors are stacked the same. This is important when it comes time to assemble all the gores together, this keeps a uniform A B A B A B...pattern, assuming you are using two colors. Same rules apply using three or more colors.

Use a straight stitch to sew the paired gores together. My machine settings look like this...
straight stitch setting

Sew the pinned side of the paired gores together, about a 1/4 inch from the edge. Start at the top and work your way down. The machine should have a reverse feature which should reverse direction and let you backup. "Lock" the first few forward stitches by reversing direction for a few stitches then allow it to move forward again. This "locking" technique should be used at the beginning and end of EVERY seam to keep the thread from pulling out.
Your paired gores should look like this after they have been stitched together...
sewn gore pairs

Join two pairs together following the same technique as before....
four gores

Join the two completed 4 gore sections together for one last seam, again using the same method as before. Sorry, no picture here, but I think you get the drift. You should wind up with a semicircle and something that is starting to resemble a parachute.

Hem the bottom edges of your semicircle. Fold and pin the edge about a 1/4 inch. I like to fold it over twice on the larger chutes to make a neater, more finished edge, but once will suffice.....
bottom edge

Reverse side showing the entire edge pinned up...
entire edge(good side)

You can see I have pinned some ribbon loops to the edge. These are for the shroud lines to attach to. Some folks stitch the shroud lines right into the gore seams, but loops just seemed easier to me. Cut 8 (or however many shroud lines you need) two inch strips. Fold the strips over and pin somewhere near the gore seams. Here is a pic of the ribbon I used, 50 cent for 10 yards at Joanns...
loop material

Now it's time to stitch the bottom hem. I use a zigzag pattern for the hem. Machine settings look like this....
zigzag setting

Again, remember to "lock" the thread at the beginning and end. Go slowly and remove the pins as you go. However keep the ribbon loops pinned until you make a pass over them. Remember the reverse feature? Reverse direction over each ribbon loop you come to, adds more stitches over that area and secures the loops better. Then, continue zigzagging to the next loop, reverse zigzag over loop, and so on. Remember to lock your stitch at the very end of the hem. Should look like this when your done...
completed hem

Trim the excess ribbon...
trim loops

Pin the top of the chute(spillhole). Again, 1/4 inch, I just use a single fold for the top....
spillhole

Use the same zigzag stitch as the bottom to hem the spillhole. Sewing the spillhole is the trickiest part because of the tight radius, just take your time and go slow. Removing pins as you go should help.

It's time to join the edges of your semicircle together and actually form the chute. This is your last bit of sewing. Pin and attach the gores just like you did the previous ones. Don't forget to change the stitch setting back to the straight pattern you used before.

Remember, we have been working on the inside of the chute. Once the final stitch has been made, you can turn the outside-in, or inside-in, or the outside-out, however you want to say it. Here is what it should look like now....
hemi chutes

All that is left to do is attach the shroud lines. I prefer Kevlar for the lines, but upolstery thread and curtain cord can be used as well. Each line coming down from the chute to the apex should be about 1.5 times the length of the chute diameter. I hope Micro doesn't mind me using his pic, but here is the shroud line attachment for a six line arrangement.
shroud line attachment(6 lines)

Most of us are familiar with the "B" method since this is how the kit chutes usually come, but I just tried the "A" method not long ago, and I like it much better.

Here is a diagram provided by BobCox showing 6 and 8 lines...
six and eight lines, "purse" method

Good idea to use an overhand knot to attach all the lines together at the bottom to keep all the lengths even.

I use a bowline knot to attach the shroud line ends to the ribbon loops. This is where your Boy Scout training skills come in handy. You were a Boy Scout weren't you? Bowline knot

attached line

Here is the finished chute catchin' wind....
blkburgcatchinwind.jpg

Rolled and ready to go....
folded chute

Much of this may be elementary to some, but I hope this helps.

-Craig Z.

Originally posted by Micromeister
Rats hit the send button instead of the attachment button....DOH

Here's a handy gore development pattern layout.

It'd have to be big to overcome the extra weight of all the seams, but the cone method could make for a very interesting (and colorful) 'chute...

-Rick

Awesome write-up! I have been needing to make a parachute over this break from school and now I just got an explanation of how. Perfect timing...
Reed

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
Awesome write-up! I have been needing to make a parachute over this break from school and now I just got an explanation of how. Perfect timing...
Reed

Mission accomplished!:) Hope I can motivate some of ya's. I have enjoyed making these ALMOST as much as building rockets. Sure beats sanding...:p

Originally posted by Rick Lindsey
It'd have to be big to overcome the extra weight of all the seams, but the cone method could make for a very interesting (and colorful) 'chute...

-Rick

Rick:
I've made as small as 4",5", 6" and 8" 6 gore hemi's for lpm models they fit in BT-50 models easily, BT-20 of packed well:) They've worked very nicely in these models and everything larger:)

Originally posted by Micromeister
Rick:
I've made as small as 4",5", 6" and 8" 6 gore hemi's for lpm models they fit in BT-50 models easily, BT-20 of packed well:) They've worked very nicely in these models and everything larger:)

Hehe, I'm not sure I've ever seen a 4" chute, but it sounds like fun! Unfortunately the foot-pedal for my sewing machine is lost :( and I'm too cheap to buy a new one yet (hoping to score one on ebay or a yard sale or somesuch). I'm a fan of large, colorful 'chutes, though, and may have to make some for my BAR projects :). Did you use just plain old ripstop, or was there some ueber lightweight stuff? My BAR projects are aimed at E6 and G12 RC reloads, so weight is going to be critical!

-Rick (prodigal rockeeteer)

foose: a quick question:

how did you manage to use a zig zag stitch and get such a nice finished edge? I've used a zig zag in lieu of a serge machine to sort of wrap the end, and it looks like crap... did you fold the edge over and then zig zag it?

Thanks

Just folded over 1/4 inch , pinned, and zigzag stitched. Fold over twice for an even cleaner look, that's what I did on the black and burgungy one. Once is will do, especially on the smaller chutes.

For gore sizing, Richard Nakka has an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the plot points. Just enter how many gores and the size you want, and there it is. The spreadsheet works fine in Oo_O for those that don't have MS Office. I've found it very useful.

Great write-up.
I'm now sitting in front of a sewing machine and have just made a straight 4" stitch on some ripstop. Even my other half says it looks good. Something tells me I'm about to learn what one of these machines can do....either that or how much I despise them. ;)

great write up. also invite folks to consider other geometries. Think about a soccer ball or geodesic dome--they work in both buildings and chutes.
see attached as an example.
JS

Here's my first parachute build. Came out ok. Don't think I had the zigzag quite right but, she'll fly. Started out with a 20" diameter that finished to around 16". The equivalent of a 22" flat sheet chute. I went with a 30% hemi, as everything I've read states that a partial hemi is better, weight vs. performance wise. A spill hole was not added.
I'm thinking of sewing the shroud lines directly to the chute. The overlap on the chute seams feels strong enough for a good attach point.
With the chute calc that foose4string linked to, a paint prg, and Excel, I'm able to upscale to any size chute.
Thanks again for the write-up foose. Just have to make sure my buddy's don't see me on the sewing machine. ;)

Your zigzag looks fine from here. Great looking chute Stones! Like you said, it will fly.:) As a stay at home dad of three, I've already gotten over the buddy thing. When you start eating bon bons and watching soap operas, THAT'S when you need to worry.:D Luckily, I haven't gotten to that point yet. ;)

Stones:
Great looking chute: Only reason I don't sew my own is the better 2/3rds doesn't want me screwing up the tension setting on HER machine:) Hey don't we teach our wifes and daughters to use our Power tools? Seem only fair they should SHARE their machines with us as well don't ya think:)

I personally feel sewing the shrouds into the seams makes for a stronger attachment. Others like to use the loops to tie on shrouds. We zig-zag the nylon or kevlar shrouds about two inches on 36 - 48" chutes. a little less on smaller stuff. I think I have a pic of the attachment. here it is.

Have any of you folks tried making Plastic hemi's with various color shopping bags? I've been very pleased with some of the 9" to 24", 6,8 & 12 gore Plastic hemi's that i've assembled using a dry iron (with a terry cloth towel) or a Monokote application iron. both type seals have held up well on Hard Snap opening competition type PD models, I'll have to do more testing on standard weight sport model but should hold up Ok.

chute fab-b-sm_shroud attachment_02-10-04.jpg

Well, I wanted to say that I am still around, believe it or not, hehe. But more importantly, I'd like to say that this tutorial has been excellent. I finally taught myself how to use the sewing machine and am in the process of cranking out my second 6" hemisphere chute. I bought some greenish-brown rip-stop nylon a while back at the clearance section of Walmart and have used that. These two 6" chutes will be for recovering my booster section of my Estes Renegade which I upgraded to 24mm.

Sadly, however, I'm gonna have to wait for more chute making as I've been having trouble getting nylon. I'm comfortable using the greenish-brown I have now on the booster as it won't be going high or drifting far, but for any other parachutes I will want a more visible color. I have gone to a bunch of Walmarts but haven't had any success since I got the greenish stuff (it was the brightest color they had), even in the normal-priced places. We don't have a Jo-Annes fabric place near-by (nearest one's a good 2-hour round trip), and all the other big arts and crafts places don't carry fabric, much less rip-stop nylon. I have one other place to try tomorrow, but it's more of a mom-and-pop place, so i suspect the prices will be higher. Do you all have any suggestions as to where to buy this stuff?
Thanks,
Reed

Do you all have any suggestions as to where to buy this stuff?
Thanks,
Reed

They're probably quite expensive, but have you looked at online kite supply shops yet?

-Rick

I just now checked those kinds of shops and they are quite expensive. I'm hoping to find something local, as I may be able to go to a Jo-Anne's this weekend, but by that time I won't be able to use the fabric for a long while. I wonder what eBay's got...
Reed

Originally posted by Rick Lindsey
They're probably quite expensive, but have you looked at online kite supply shops yet?

-Rick

Kitebuilders.com

has seconds 1.5 oz material for 4 dollars a yard, not too bad really considering Joanns sells it for 7 or 8 dollars. Hot pink and orange included, and those are colors I have never seen at Joanns. Some lighter, 3/4 oz. ripstop can be had for about 50 cent more from the same source.

I just got a perfect, very lightweight, bright orange ripstop from Walmart dollar table a few weeks ago. I bought all they had, which amounted to about 6 yards or so. I often make it a point to stop if I see a Walmart when I'm traveling out of town, and check the fabric dept.(and of course the toy dept). That's how I got my orange and yellow fabrics. Patience and persistance will eventually pay off, but if you don't want the hassle then you'll have to pay a little extra. I can mail you some fabric to hold you over until you find some... if your just looking to make a couple LPR hemi chutes.

Wow, some people just have all the luck... I think I'll get some of the seconds from the site you linked. It's a much better price than what I was able to find. Thanks a bunch.
Reed

I've never submitted anything other than comments there, never actually written a review or anything for them. I'm not entirely sure what category it falls under for submission.

"generic tip/hint" would be best, and suggest to Nick that it be promoted to "featured tip/hint".

An alternative would be to submit under "scratch"

In any case, Nick will figure out how best to feature it. Go for it!

G

Hi all,
I just realized that I never posted a shot of the chutes I made. Unfortunately I don't have them handy, so a general shot of a small (6" I think) chute that I made for the booster section of my Renegade.
IMG_2580.jpg

I actually made two. Anyhow, the spill hole was a royal pain in the neck, being so small, so I asked my mom to do that part (me+sewing machine+tight radii=ugly). I got some of the kite fabric seconds and apart from a pick in a small part of the fabric, it's hardly differentiable from the new stuff. The only think that bothers me is that it's quite stiff. I think there's some sort of coating on it to make it less permeable. It's still foldable, but it's more rigid and doesn't like to stay folded. I think I'll make a couple Walmart trips when I get home from school, just to see if my luck has changed in the past months.
Cheers,
Reed

Back