31.5" Semi-Ellipsoidal Parachute Build [Part II]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dane Ronnow

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
[Continued from Part I]
(https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...l-parachute-build-part-i.164478/#post-2099836)

Fold the bottom edge of the fabric up to where it meets the line, and spread it flat, holding your hand in the middle of the fold. With the tip of the iron, press it flat. Do the same with the rest of the fold, being careful to keep the edge of the fabric right at the ink line.

08c.jpg

Then fold it over again until the ink line is at the bottom of the fold and press it flat.

08d.jpg

Now the folded hem is ready to sew.

09.jpg

6. Sewing the hem.

As mentioned above, don't try and backstitch ripstop. When turning your fabric, always have the needle down, meaning the tip is through the fabric and inside the foot plate.

Here's the fabric placed—right side up—under the foot, ready to sew, with the hem underneath the fabric:

10.jpg

The reason I have the hem underneath is because I want the top stitch on the right side of the fabric. The stitch will run two-thirds of the width from the right, which places it at the rolled side of the hem.

(Again, you don't need to backstitch the hem.)

I'm sewing 8 stitches per inch on all seams (hem and flat-felled). Find this distance during your practice stitching, using the machine's stitch length dial. Stitch width is 0.

Start your stitch by 'walking the needle' (turning the machine's handwheel) for one or two stiches to keep the fabric from bunching under the foot. Then run the machine, keeping the stitch as straight as possible. (I do this by lining up some part of the fabric—in this case, the right edge—with some part of the foot (the small step just inside the right side of the foot), then focusing on that while the fabric moves through.)

Here's the finished hem, top stitch on the left, bottom stitch on the right:

11.jpg

Now repeat the process with the top end of the gore.

Whether you hem all the gores, then move to the next step, or hem two gores, then join them with a flat-felled seam, is up to you. I did it one gore pair at a time. That way, if I made a mistake in technique, I discovered it before I made the mistake on all the gores. But it's up to you.

On my build, I did the white gore next, following the same steps as above. Then I moved to joining two gores with flat-felled seams.

7. Joining gores with a flat-felled seam.

Before I describe this process, watch this video, paying close attention when she trims the top stitch piece of fabric (beginning at 1:25).

The reason I point that out is that I decided to avoid trimming the fabric by simply placing the edge of my top stitch piece 3/8" from the edge of the bottom stitch piece. Easy peasy, right? It is, but it also adds that 3/8" (times 12 gores) to the overall circumference of the parachute. So, my 31.5" diameter parachute became 33.5" diameter.

I was fine with the increase. But if exact size is critical to you, either place your two edges even (as she does in the video) and trim the top piece, or, if you want to offset the two pieces, make your gore pattern 3/8" narrower.

The following technique offsets the top and bottom pieces of fabric.

Place the two gores with right sides (dull side) facing each other. Whichever side you want as your top stitch side should be on top and offset 3/8". (The strip of paper in the photo is my spacing reference.) Then pin the two pieces together.

12.jpg

The two gores pinned (right sides together), ready for sewing:

13.jpg

Place the pieces under the foot, positioned so the needle will enter the fabric 3/8" from the raw edge of the top piece. Sew 1", then turn the fabric and sew back to the start. Turn the fabric again and finish the length of the stitch, locking it at the end by turning the fabric again.

14.jpg

Here's the piece ready for folding:

15.jpg

At this point, refer to the video linked above. She explains the folding, pressing and pinning (beginning at 3:25) better than I can. (And it's easier to understand in a video than it would be looking at pictures.)

Here's the piece under the foot of the machine, ready to stitch:

16.jpg

[Continued in Part III]
(https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/31-5-semi-ellipsoidal-parachute-build-part-iii.164480/)

Last edited:
[Continued from Part I]
(https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...l-parachute-build-part-i.164478/#post-2099836)

Fold the bottom edge of the fabric up to where it meets the line, and spread it flat, holding your hand in the middle of the fold. With the tip of the iron, press it flat. Do the same with the rest of the fold, being careful to keep the edge of the fabric right at the ink line.

View attachment 449840

Then fold it over again until the ink line is at the bottom of the fold and press it flat.

View attachment 449841

Now the folded hem is ready to sew.

View attachment 449842

6. Sewing the hem.

As mentioned above, don't try and backstitch ripstop. When turning your fabric, always have the needle down, meaning the tip is through the fabric and inside the foot plate.

Here's the fabric placed—right side up—under the foot, ready to sew, with the hem underneath the fabric:

View attachment 449843

The reason I have the hem underneath is because I want the top stitch on the right side of the fabric. The stitch will run two-thirds of the width from the right, which places it at the rolled side of the hem.

(Again, you don't need to backstitch the hem.)

I'm sewing 8 stitches per inch on all seams (hem and flat-felled). Find this distance during your practice stitching, using the machine's stitch length dial. Stitch width is 0.

Start your stitch by 'walking the needle' (turning the machine's handwheel) for one or two stiches to keep the fabric from bunching under the foot. Then run the machine, keeping the stitch as straight as possible. (I do this by lining up some part of the fabric—in this case, the right edge—with some part of the foot (the small step just inside the right side of the foot), then focusing on that while the fabric moves through.)

Here's the finished hem, top stitch on the left, bottom stitch on the right:

View attachment 449844

Now repeat the process with the top end of the gore.

Whether you hem all the gores, then move to the next step, or hem two gores, then join them with a flat-felled seam, is up to you. I did it one gore pair at a time. That way, if I made a mistake in technique, I discovered it before I made the mistake on all the gores. But it's up to you.

On my build, I did the white gore next, following the same steps as above. Then I moved to joining two gores with flat-felled seams.

7. Joining gores with a flat-felled seam.

Before I describe this process, watch this video, paying close attention when she trims the top stitch piece of fabric (beginning at 1:25).

The reason I point that out is that I decided to avoid trimming the fabric by simply placing the edge of my top stitch piece 3/8" from the edge of the bottom stitch piece. Easy peasy, right? It is, but it also adds that 3/8" (times 12 gores) to the overall circumference of the parachute. So, my 31.5" diameter parachute became 33.5" diameter.

I was fine with the increase. But if exact size is critical to you, either place your two edges even (as she does in the video) and trim the top piece, or, if you want to offset the two pieces, make your gore pattern 3/8" narrower.

The following technique offsets the top and bottom pieces of fabric.

Place the two gores with right sides (dull side) facing each other. Whichever side you want as your top stitch side should be on top and offset 3/8". (The strip of paper in the photo is my spacing reference.) Then pin the two pieces together.

View attachment 449845

The two gores pinned (right sides together), ready for sewing:

View attachment 449846

Place the pieces under the foot, positioned so the needle will enter the fabric 3/8" from the raw edge of the top piece. Sew 1", then turn the fabric and sew back to the start. Turn the fabric again and finish the length of the stitch, locking it at the end by turning the fabric again.

View attachment 449847

Here's the piece ready for folding:

View attachment 449848

At this point, refer to the video linked above. She explains the folding, pressing and pinning (beginning at 3:25) better than I can. (And it's easier to understand in a video than it would be looking at pictures.)

Here's the piece under the foot of the machine, ready to stitch:

View attachment 449849

[Continued in Part III]
(https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/31-5-semi-ellipsoidal-parachute-build-part-iii.164480/)

Nice build thread. Very clear instructions and pics.

When I pin my seams together, I run the pin perpendicular to the seam. When parallel, the pin tends to catch under my presser foot and bind. When perpendicular, the presser foot runs over it pretty cleanly.

Another trick you might consider is to leave the apex vent unhemmed when you stitch the gores. Then baste a twill tape to the underside and roll the hem around that. It adds a lot of strength and makes a very clean finish to the apex. If you want to avoid a slight gather during the hemming, you can flare your gore tip a bit in the hem allowance for the vent.

When I pin my seams together, I run the pin perpendicular to the seam. When parallel, the pin tends to catch under my presser foot and bind. When perpendicular, the presser foot runs over it pretty cleanly.
I pull the pins as they reach the presser foot, but I did find that with the pins perpendicular to the seam as you suggest, they were easier to pull (I'm old and my dexterity is not what it used to be).

Good tip on the apex vent. Twill tape adds a lot of strength. In future builds, particularly with a large 'chute and heavy rocket, I might even leave the bottom hem open until the gores are assembled, then use a single piece of twill tape that would run the entire circumference of the canopy, giving added strength to the individual gore seams. Those strike me as the points of greatest stress when the 'chute opens.

Thanks for the comment. Glad you like the build.

I pull the pins as they reach the presser foot, but I did find that with the pins perpendicular to the seam as you suggest, they were easier to pull (I'm old and my dexterity is not what it used to be).

Good tip on the apex vent. Twill tape adds a lot of strength. In future builds, particularly with a large 'chute and heavy rocket, I might even leave the bottom hem open until the gores are assembled, then use a single piece of twill tape that would run the entire circumference of the canopy, giving added strength to the individual gore seams. Those strike me as the points of greatest stress when the 'chute opens.

Thanks for the comment. Glad you like the build.

I leave my skirt hem unfinished until the gores are joined for all my chutes, then roll the entire skirt in one shot. On larger chutes I use a tape rolled in the skirt as well as the apex. I had a 6' chute with that construction survive deployment from a 10 lb airframe at 150 mph (220 fps!) on a motor ejection that went 7 seconds longer than I'd drilled it out.

Yikes! Sounds like some pretty nice seam work there.

Very similar to yours. The only changes really were the tapes in the apex and skirt hems and a slight change in the flat fell seams. I run my seam with the two layers even at the edges so that when I fold them under I end up sewing all four layers to the canopy with the top stitching.

How did you make the foot?
The one in the picture above is the standard presser foot that comes with the sewing machine. In Part IV of this thread, I use a hemming foot when attaching the shroud lines to the canopy. It lets me feed the shroud line under the foot.

Standard foot:

IMG_0087.jpg

From Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/HONEYSEW-Straight-Babylock-Euro-Pro-Machines/dp/B07KJVKTX1/

Hemming foot:

23.jpg

From Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/Boao-Suitable-Household-Multi-Function-Machines/dp/B07GN3CQMV/

Back