How to decide which to build next?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you choose your next build

• No build pile - build as I get them

• Let someone else decide

• Close eyes and reach in

• Oldest first

• Latest first

• Random number generator

• What tickles my fancy at the time

• darts, ring toss, other game of chance

Results are only viewable after voting.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now that most everyone has added to their build pile - how do you decide which rocket to build next?

Personally, I use a cross between a random number generator and what was one of the latest acquisitions (so it is near the top of the pile and fresh in my mind). Of course, that means the older kits near the bottom languish (but that is where the random number generator helps)

Perhaps other have ideas...

Multiple choices allowed on the poll

Last edited:
You don't have a poll choice for "other"

In my instance the build order is modified by the goals I have developed for the year and the kits that I have on hand to work on skill sets I do not yet possess. For example: I purchased a Gismo XL Dual Deploy as my level three rocket. I do not plan to build it for at least a year since I just now got my Level 2 Certification. So, I have a 5" jart which is built in a very similar manner to the Gismo and I plan to build it first so I can learn how to do a "donut" av-bay, fly it for awhile and learn from any mistakes I make in that build. However, when the "Black" sales occurred I could not resist a Stinger. But I want to build the av-bay in the nose cone. When the Lil' Rascal was offered up during the Black Sales, I figured I'd get it so I can learn on it before trying to build the Stinger. Then the Wildman Sale and the 4" jart (I have a weakness for jarts) and then Madcow had their black sale so I can replace my beloved Squat! that I just destroyed.....So I figure it is going to be 4" Jart, the lil'rascal, the Squat!, the 5" jart, the Stinger, then the Gismo in that order. Subject to change, of course! :grin:

All I have to do now is find time.

I usually build whatever would be filling the largest hole in the fleet. Almost all of my hoard is a pile of low powers that I probably wont bother with until I lose or crash some of the ones I have. My most recent build was a Weasel sized high power with provisions for a tracker in the nose because previously I had nothing that could go high enough to need my tracker on any motors I could afford to use regularly. Soon I'll be building something fiberglass to launch when it's too wet for all my paper ones. I also need a 24mm workhorse like an Optima or Big Daddy.

Personally, I use a cross between a random number generator....

Do you mean a random number generator like this? :roll:

Image linked from www.dilbert.com
2318.strip.gif

Seeing how my PILE is all parts, I don't think I can vote. I just build the next design I come up with that I like.

I always have a lot of indecision. I'm usually mulling it over while I'm in the middle of a build. At the moment, by build pile is kind of large. I have duplicates of both Commanche IIIs and the Semroc Orbital Transport. I also have an old Estes Saturn V. Part of my build pile is sort of random. A couple of times I've needed to simply order one balsa part, but that hasn't met the minimum order requirement. So I've picked a few kits to pad out the order that I normally wouldn't get. My current Omega project was one of those, but I know I'm going to love it when it's done. Once I'm done with a project, I gather my build pile on the coffee table with my wife. We paw through the pile. My wife is interested enough in this hobby to have VERY STRONG opinions about which rockets would be "cute", and she gets downright adamant about the proper color scheme. When I recently built a Centuri Space Shuttle, I painted the big glider olive drab and the small glider bright orange. I consider this a fantastic color combo; very military. My wife recoils from this rocket in horror. She calls it the "ugly one." She is wrong. She picked out the color scheme for my shrike; the main rocket is cerulean blue with the booster stage in orange. She considers this a smashing success. I tend to agree.

Anyway, I'm almost through with the Omega, and my current favorite for the next project will be to build two rockets at once. These are two "order padders" and are the Firefly and the Texas Firefly. I'm going to make all the fins in basswood as I've had great success doing this with a couple of others.

I am also tempted to go for the Saturn V, but the Omega has been a long build, so I'm thinking two smaller, quicker builds might be more gratifying, so the Fireflys might be better.

As you can see, my selection process is chaotic and something of a committee decision.

The truth is that at the end of the day it won't matter. Any addition to the fleet (which we display on top of the TV cabinet) will be super cooly fine.

I realized when I started in this hobby that I knew nothing at all about it, and that the old hands at the club launches, while they are helpful and supportive, are so far advanced beyond me, that they can't really assess what my skills and interests are until I built one.
So, I stopped by a local hardware store with a hobby shop department, and looked at what they had on hand. None of the kits made much of an impact upon me, as I had a hard time visualizing the difference between them.
However, from my readings, I had learned of a series of Skill Levels 1, 2, 3, 4 and that as an adult, I was probably beyond the RTF or Level 1 kits... and so I looked for a low-cost, moderate kit that would allow me some construction, from a reputably company, and that I asked what all else I would need... motors, launch pad, wadding, etc. I had all the tools, materials, glue, paint, etc, to at least complete it, and the salesman/clerk was very helpful in interpreting what those cryptic letters and numbers on the engines meant. He assured me that when I got ready, this particular package of motors would match my rocket and get me started. He was right. I cobbled up a launch rod, a lantern battery, allegator clips and make-shift blast shield and was ready.

I went to a club launch immediately after buying the kit, and marveled at what all was being launched, how powerful, how ambitious, and what variety the vendor had on hand. After absorbing as much as I could, I determined I should buy another slightly more advanced kit so that I could continue working and learning and compare the two rockets. So I got another kit of the next higher skill level and requiring the same motors that I had on-hand... and got a little distracted from the hobby after the first rocket was done.

Since then, I have attempted to buy a slightly more challenging rocket, slightly stronger and longer, and larger of increasingly difficult assembly or prep, or construction, while still maintaining my LPR level motors. I've learned a bit about motor letter class, and realize if I'm going to proceed, I'm going to have to graduate up in motor strength, size, commitment and costs. But I've still got a fair amount of LPR motors to burn up first.

And so, my family has decided to take advantage of cyber Monday and have ordered dear Dad a model rocket kit to assemble, sight unseen, after shopping on the internet. So how do I decide what to build next?
I try to stretch myself and let someone else talk me into trying another one.

For me, like many other responders, it is what skill I want to work on next. Having few skills to speak of thus far, I suppose that explains (justifies?) having a huge build pile.

Back