How many level 3's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone else started it, ya'll know I'm not one to pass up a chance to toot my own horn!!

Yeah I'm in both groups too as was the local prefect who is now deceased.
Problem with L3 is one has to be really dedicated and the price of a certified M load and hardware is quite pricey. One has to be dedicated.
Once our prefect achieved L3, another out of town flyer offered to come down to show our club members how to mix. He charged $200.00 each and he provided a printed syllabus which I still have and provided some printed recipes of proven mixtures with "numbers". Taught us how to use the program "Burnsim" and it was helpful. I found it was smarter to use conservative numbers with a mix to avoid an "overpressurization". We hand packed as opposed to poured propellant.
Had a blast mixing propellant in a commercial mixer with 25kgs. at a time! We'd get together and decide which recipe we'd do.
Folks would bring chems to throw into the pot along with their casting tubes and wooden packing rods for making their motors. The big thing was lining up a massive amount of casting tubes getting ready to pack but when we made an N motor, the whole mix was used for that. Otherwise, made a bunch of 38's, 54's and 76mm motors out of a batch. Those were the days. Kurt

Yeah I'm in both groups too as was the local prefect who is now deceased.
Problem with L3 is one has to be really dedicated and the price of a certified M load and hardware is quite pricey. One has to be dedicated.
Once our prefect achieved L3, another out of town flyer offered to come down to show our club members how to mix. He charged $200.00 each and he provided a printed syllabus which I still have and provided some printed recipes of proven mixtures with "numbers". Taught us how to use the program "Burnsim" and it was helpful. I found it was smarter to use conservative numbers with a mix to avoid an "overpressurization". We hand packed as opposed to poured propellant.
Had a blast mixing propellant in a commercial mixer with 25kgs. at a time! We'd get together and decide which recipe we'd do.
Folks would bring chems to throw into the pot along with their casting tubes and wooden packing rods for making their motors. The big thing was lining up a massive amount of casting tubes getting ready to pack but when we made an N motor, the whole mix was used for that. Otherwise, made a bunch of 38's, 54's and 76mm motors out of a batch. Those were the days. Kurt

That was the same with our club. Unfortunately, the mix parties and $200 classes are a thing of the past.

Latest posts

Back