How high before I need a transmitter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDuderino

Reaction score
In general, at what altitude do you consider is necessary to inlcude a transmitter for locating your rocket? I am designing a rocket and am not interested in installing (...paying for) a transmitter. Current design will launch to ~15k' on a 38mm, 2 stage dual deploy (single deploy booster).

That's a heck of a lot higher than what I'm comfortable flying without a tracker. Personally, anything over 5,000ft (especially something that small) gets a tracker.

A Beeline tracker with battery is only $85. That's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

A Beeline tracker with battery is only $85.
Of course unless your club has one, you need a receiver and a directional antenna, which will cost you about $120 more if you buy new and less if you buy used and make your own antenna. And you need a ham license.

The highest I've flown without a tracker is about 6000 feet. There is no way I would consider going higher without one with a small rocket.

There are people who do it, but for me, anymore, I'd rather not work that hard post-flight to find the rocket!

Once you own a transmitter, you'll find it you use it constantly. It makes it much more enjoyable when you don't have to spend 2 hours hunting for the rocket.

-Kevin

If you can afford to loose your rocket, then you don't need to consider a transmitter. However if the cost to replace the rocket greatly exceeds the price of a transmitter, you should consider it.
  • The cost of (2) 38 mm motor casings runs between $100 to $200.
  • The electronics for a two-stager could run from $100 to $200+ dollars.
  • Recovery gear $50 to $100.
  • Rest of the rocket $100 to $200.
  • Estimate of your invested costs would be in the $350 to $700 range.
A Big Red Bee transmitter costs between $60 to $200 depending on the band, and whether it is simply a beacon or a GPS position transmitter. https://www.bigredbee.com/

An less expensive solution is to put a sonic locater on both the booster and the sustainer. Cost is about $25 to $80 for two. If you can see the general direction of the flight, you should be able to hear the device from 100 to 200 yards away.

https://www.pratthobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MB-12

https://www.adeptrocketry.com/prices.htm

https://www.transolve.com/Transolve/Files/Products/TransBeep/TransBeep.html

Bob

In general, at what altitude do you consider is necessary to inlcude a transmitter for locating your rocket?

There's an easier answer than all the others: How far up can you see, and how far on the ground is the view unobstructed?

If you're flying at Asa, you're probably OK with the 6K. Of course, Asa is 6,000 acres of field with little or no trees and no hills. If you're flying at Hearne, anything past 1K might be a problem if the wind's in the wrong direction.

Personally, I've almost lost a P-Chuter Extreme that went 1.2K, but landed in a corn/sunflower field. Even with a Beeline in it, I still had to work to find that stupid rocket!

I personally have flown a min dia rocket recently at NSL on a G79 to around 5,000 to 6,000 feet. After burnout it went out of sight, but I was able to see a puff at ejection. Although I was not able to see the rocket, but I ended up finding based on rockets that we could see drift before and after my flight. I think it definately is possible to find it. A tracker just increases the odds of finding it by a lot.

your flying a 38mm min to a altitude that i lost sight of my 54mm min diam at LDRS 27. the sim was 15.5K at mach 2ish. even on the video it disappears never to be seen again with the sonic locator in it.

Like others have said it all depends on the size of the rocket and the terrain it's going to land in. I fly my 3.5" rocket up to 20K with no Tx or GPS in it. I can see it during the entire flight. I also fly out at Black Rocket and there's not much for rockets to hide behind out there. I've flown 29-54mm min dia rockets to good heights without also.
I like 'hunting' for my rockets (to a certain point) it's part of the excitement. After about an hour it starts to suck though. Some advise here.. unless your rocket had a 'weird' flight it will be out with the rest of the rockets. If you flew higher then those rockets, then look further out. This seems to work for me. I do use Tx and even GPS for some of my extreme flights.

Tony

I've flown to almost 12k twice. The first time: I lucked out with only a beeper.

This weekend I wasn't so lucky (It deployed at apogee), but I did have a tracker on board.

5+ hrs of tracking a signal in a curly cue pattern and 1hr of wrestling my rocket from a tree and I was able to bring home my rocket.

JD

Back