How do you store your old magazines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Okay, I've been through Organization 101 where they recommend you simply cut out the articles you're interested in and store those. But, I really enjoy keeping my old magazines around.

With them taking up so much room, how/where do you store them? They simply take up a lot of space. Too bad they, SR and Launch, weren't simply on CD for long-term storage.

Okay, I've been through Organization 101 where they recommend you simply cut out the articles you're interested in and store those. But, I really enjoy keeping my old magazines around.

With them taking up so much room, how/where do you store them? They simply take up a lot of space. Too bad they, SR and Launch, weren't simply on CD for long-term storage.

In a little basket next to the throne in the family reading room, along with old catalogs, and the odd paperback novel for those extended times.

Grab a few printer / copier paper boxes from the office. I have a few full boxes like that, a bit on the heavy side to move but just the right size. I set the box on its short side stack up all the magazines with dividers as needed, spines facing out, and when it's full flip it to normal orientation and put the lid on. Yes saving just the articles you like is more efficient but what you like then and what you'll need later aren't always the same.

wel it depends on the magazine. but for example my dungeon magazines (part of the dungeon and dragons line) I store them in a portable hanging folder box. same with my dragon magazines. Now for my cigar aficionado magazines i store them in a box newest on top. My golf magazines are stored in a wooden magazine box. Others that mean alot to be I store like my comic books plastic sleaves and cardboard backed. I guess it depends on both your personality type and how important the magazines are to you .

my Mom forced me to do that with my Model Rocketry magazines back 35 years ago. The result? The clippings are somewhere in a file cabinet that was thrown out while I was in college. Many of my old Model Rocketeer magazines got lost when I lent them out to a fledgling rocket club. I was able to replace some of them from NARTS at NARAM-32 and 33.

I simply have them all in a banker's box. One for all the NAR magazines and one for all the TRA magazines. I started to reacquire Model Rocketry Magazine, but still only have five or six issues. They and the Launch magazines are in a plastic box I got from the Container Store.

Yeah I don't get it either... I too keep all my old magazines (they're taking over the 'office'-- I still have every single American Spacemodelling issue from my high school days and they're a GOLD MINE of good info!)

There is a terrific magazine I get (non-rocketry related, it's about agriculture and shop/home topics www.farmshow.com) that's based on edited contributions, mostly by the public, and includes a 'best and worst buys' section that covers just about everything and anything. Think of it like if EMRR was a monthly magazine. NO paid advertising is accepted at all; that way they have the freedom to call it like they see it, good or bad, without fallout from advertisers. Since that leaves paid subscriptions as the only source of income, the magazine is printed on newsprint, which of course is a pretty crappy medium, but the magazine is well worth it because of it's slant-free reporting, which is VIRTUALLY NONEXISTANT in the ag trade papers...

OK, back on topic... as I said, it's printed on newsprint which doesn't store well... they've computerized their entire print run of the magazine (about 20 years or so now) and put it on an indexed searchable CD-ROM... You can go to the index and look up all the stories on a particular cross-referenced topic, and 'link' directly to them, or search for related stories on various topics.... and of course if you want to you can go through and read each and every magazine cover to cover right on the computer.

SO WHY OH WHY DOESN'T NAR OFFER A SIMILAR CD-ROM WITH ALL THE BACK ISSUES OF THEIR MAGAZINE(S), EVEN IF THEY AREN'T INDEXED AND SEARCHABLE!!! NAR really needs to do a CD-ROM like this-- they could contact the company that did the FARMSHOW CD-ROM and have it done. The FARMSHOW one is pretty cheap, but I could understand NAR charging more for theirs, as it'd be a money maker for the organization... and yes it would be a big undertaking but most things worth doing ARE...

Til then I guess it'll be more underbed tubs and cardboard magazine boxes up on the shelf... OL JR :)

Wow, timely topic! My magazine pile (Sport Rocketry, plus woodworking mags) grew to almost the height of my nightstand this year. Today I sorted them and stored them in bankers boxes. If you belong to Sams Club, they are really cheap there, but still not too bad at places like Office Depot.

I just cannot part with the rocketry mags. But clip them? No way, that is a sacrilege. As far as new mags on CD, there just isn't much thrill for me to "page down" thru a magazine. Now for back issues, a CD is a great idea, IMHO. Since back issues are hard to find, and cost a fortune, I'd love to see them on CD.

Holes punched or drilled (depends on thickness of the mag) then cataloged in 3 ring binders.
I've been doing this so long, it's sort of automatic. I also do the same with club newletters.

Holes punched or drilled (depends on thickness of the mag) then cataloged in 3 ring binders.
I've been doing this so long, it's sort of automatic. I also do the same with club newletters.

I also use three ring binders, but I put the magazines in plastic sleeves with binder holes. It keeps me from having to punch holes, and the plastic protects while allowing me to easily thumb through the collection for particular issues.

I use special magazine boxes from Walmart. They were rubbermaid and plastic.

I have some nicer wooden ones from Ikea that I like better but I'm really not close to one.

John

For the basement or attic.....Free case [12 bottle] boxes from the liquor store. Perfect size for holding a year or two's, issues of magazines. Some times you get lucky and get the nice wood ones that a case of wine comes in.

For issues I want on hand, my library!
Remember those?
Like most houses had in the olden days, a den or hallway with a couple of ceiling to floor bookshelves, out of the way and perfect for all those books and mags!

Heck! Mine get neatly stacked on the tank of the tiolet in the bathroom. :surprised: You never know when you will be in need of some good reading! :eek::D:rotflol:

Actually I do have one of those 3 drawer plasic totes in our bedroom to store them in.

Back