Get a Trian Set.....the old rocketry version of "If you can't stand the heat....."

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20230419_123750340.jpg
Some decals, wheel alignment tool, axles and spare backside wheel caps for the Snake and Mongoose FEDs.

SSp racers

My brother and I had these, and they were fun.

We also had something where you put the car on a ramp with a hand operated air pump. You would pump the handle, and the air would shoot out of a nozzle under the car and spin up a flywheel, and then you would turn a lever, and the car would zoom down the ramp and across the floor. Those were fun too, but the pump thing broke easily.

Both kinds of cars we used to like to crash into each other. At one point, I guess someone realized we liked crashes, and we were given a set of cars that were designed specifically for crashing — smash up derby, or something like that. You would crash them, and the body panels would pop apart. Then you’d put it all back together and crash them again.

Trains can be as expensive as rocketry. Digital control and internal sound boards are now pretty much standard on locomotives.
I think way more expensive than rocketry -- there are so many more train models to collect...

I collected N-scale so you could have a ton of trains in a small space...

SSp racers

Yeah, mom would chew us out for letting them go on a vinyl floor. They'd leave about a 3' black skid mark each 'launch'. Two kids with these in a narrow hallway meant lots of floor cleaning and drywall repair.

Pretty sure me and my brother wore the pull sticks out on ours before our rear ends were worn out.

The "heart stopping" bit. $4500 to $7500, for just the Locomotive and Tender, on some of the highly detailed HO scale stuff. Then you have to buy the rest of the matching cars,,somehow. Another vicious circle, as it were.

Oh yea - another expensive and time consuming hobby.
Thought about it at times but just can't imagine I have the time to invest to get what I would want.
I think it's way more of a time sink than rocketry.
Better to join a club like CGMRC to get a train fix.

However the whole notion of "Prototypical Operation" drives me around the bend.
Just run a bunch of trains - no OCD needed.
Or, I don't know.... When some - expletive deleted - dispatcher isn't paying attention and allows a train into you working limits, and you are in a narrow canyon.... on single track,.... well that was pretty 'heart stopping!' 🤬

As to "Prototype Operation": Folks! If you like trains that much, get a job playing with the real ones! Not a bad career, and it gives one the money to play with Rockets!...;)

The "heart stopping" bit. $4500 to $7500, for just the Locomotive and Tender, on some of the highly detailed HO scale stuff. Then you have to buy the rest of the matching cars,,somehow. Another vicious circle, as it were.

I feel like you should be able to get a real train for that.

Just thought I'd mention that live steam is a thing. Real heat there.
Oh yea - had a friend offer me one of his two hand-built engines if I wanted to setup it up in the yard.
Thing of beauty and tickling all the senses when fired up with all the fire, steam, noise, etc..
Tempting as that was, I had to decline as that represented a monumental money sink but would have been fun.

Or, I don't know.... When some - expletive deleted - dispatcher isn't paying attention and allows a train into you working limits, and you are in a narrow canyon.... on single track,.... well that was pretty 'heart stopping!' 🤬

As to "Prototype Operation": Folks! If you like trains that much, get a job playing with the real ones! Not a bad career, and it gives one the money to play with Rockets!...;)
I have a college buddy who made it to General Electric Transporation as a project manager for the latest Evolution Tier 4? loco Units. Got a tour around the factory, with the air-float floor. Deluxe cab units, better than my workspace. Extremely quiet, I think they will have to add referee whistles to the front.

Back