How do you judge model rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Guys,

I just got selected...'cause nobody else wanted to....to judge a 4-H model rocket contest at a local state fair.

These will be all LPR models based on Estes kits built by young 4-Hers...ages 8 through 18 years old.

I have a basic idea on what to do.

Does anybody have any tips, comments, or suggestions on what to base my "judging" criteria on?

I will accept all ideas...I may ignore them...but i will accept them. LOL

sandman

Sandman,

I would break the group up first into ages, as it would be more fair to the younger crowd...something like 3 catagories...8-11, 12-14 and 15-18.

Judging should be done on both static and flight. Static should include cleanliness of construction, complexity of the kit and finishing. Flight of course would be straightest flight, ejection closest to apogee and safe deployment and recovery.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Carl

CT,

I will accept your 2 cents worth and keep the change thank you.

I think the 4-Hers are already divided into groups for me...I hope.

Maybe i'm just too worried...just never done this before.

sandman

Perhaps include a spot landing contest as part of the criteria? Seriously, though, I'm sure you'll be fine. Might want to make up some score cards to use as a guideline with whatever criteria you think you will be looking at to judge.

I know...plenty of change left after that $0.02. ;)

This kind of thing is tough... I feel for you. I would try to make the criteria or judging conditions as measureable as possible. (Man, I sound like a manager.)

That is easy enough for launching and performance but static display is a little tougher. For this maybe you can enlist a couple of non-biased parents (if such a thing exists) or friends to help out. Hopefully one rocket will just standout above the others.

One thing they do in scouts (Phil chime in here) with pine wood is to have a static winner and a performance winner for each age group.

Good luck!

Back