Homemade Pads and Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobN

Reaction score
Finally ready for next weekends launch.

A 3 rocket pad for 1/8" rods and a single rocket pad for the 3/16" rod. Although they are all interchangeable.
Swivel tripod adapters with coupling nuts to hold and angle the rods. These unscrew from the pvc pad.
A single rocket launch controller with power switch, removable key, continuity check, and launch button.
External 12v 7aH Lead Acid battery, plus an 8 AA battery pack just in case.
Created and successfully tested a whip to ignite 3 igniters at once.
Blast deflectors were cut from a door kick plate I found in the garage. Still need shaft collars to hold them level.
Also a mock build of a 4 Rocket Launch Controller.

20151104_155524.jpg20151104_155557.jpg20150927_063855.jpg20151104_155543.jpg20151104_155820.jpg20151104_160003.jpg20151104_160037.jpg20151104_160111.jpgView attachment 275605

Attachments

• 1R-Controller.PNG
    1R-Controller.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 147
LOVE it! Great job! Where did you find the swivel adapters and did you put the coupling nuts and tension screws on them?

I got the swivel mounts here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3DY73S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can also get them off ebay. They are bolted to a PVC threaded plug with a 1/4"-20 bolt.

The coupling nuts were from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361229346888?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They screw right on to the Swivel Mounts and I just drilled and tapped them for the thumb screws.

I love the fact that the pad is elevated off the ground. I can tilt them 90 degrees to put the rockets on and easily angle them for launch if desired.

Rob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd'l makes an Adeptor that I got the idea from:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Launc...s/Adeptor_Camera_Tripod_to_Launch_Rod_Adapter

They are way expensive and I thought too short.

I just noticed they put the Blast Plate between the Swivel Mount and coupling nut. I didn't think of that. I will have to see if it screws on tight enough as the bolt on Swivel Mount is really short. I may try cutting the coupling nut a little shorter if I do it this way.

Of course the top of the Swivel Mount is plastic and with the Blast Plate touching it, I wonder if it would possibly melt??

Rob.

A 3 rocket pad for 1/8" rods and a single rocket pad for the 3/16" rod. Although they are all interchangeable.
Swivel tripod adapters with coupling nuts to hold and angle the rods. These unscrew from the pvc pad.
A single rocket launch controller with power switch, removable key, continuity check, and launch button.
Blast deflectors were cut from a door kick plate I found in the garage. Still need shaft collars to hold them level.

View attachment 275596View attachment 275597View attachment 275598View attachment 275599View attachment 275600View attachment 275601View attachment 275602View attachment 275603View attachment 275605
Is that a drill chuck you are using to hold the rod?

Odd'l makes an Adeptor that I got the idea from:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Launc...s/Adeptor_Camera_Tripod_to_Launch_Rod_Adapter

They are way expensive and I thought too short.

I just noticed they put the Blast Plate between the Swivel Mount and coupling nut. I didn't think of that. I will have to see if it screws on tight enough as the bolt on Swivel Mount is really short. I may try cutting the coupling nut a little shorter if I do it this way.

Of course the top of the Swivel Mount is plastic and with the Blast Plate touching it, I wonder if it would possibly melt??

Rob.
I would put the coupler under the blast plate and if I need a spacer/standoff to raise the rocket I usually just slip a burnt C motor over the rod.
If you did it the way shown you'll quickly corrode the coupler from the hot gases. And the blast plate doesn't need to be captive anyway.

View attachment 275596View attachment 275597View attachment 275598View attachment 275599View attachment 275600View attachment 275601View attachment 275602View attachment 275603View attachment 275605
Like the controller schematic! Variation idea: I use two push button switches wired in series on my homemade launch controller. To launch the rocket you must press both of them at the same time. That eliminated accidental launch due to accidental launch button press for me. Launching takes two hands and an intentional pressing of both buttons simultaneously. I dispense with the key because I have the two push button arrangement.

The point of the key is it can be physically removed from the controller and kept in your pocket or somewhere safe and separate from the controller when you really don't want the controller to be activated. Another person would have to have a second key to activate a launch. Two buttons can still be pressed by anyone who can access the controller.

Back