Home Brew 54mm Retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disaster_Guy

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with anything for a home brew thread-on 54mm retainer? The Aeropak retainers are nice but they are a lot of coin. I use PVC slip joints, metal rings, and e-clips for my 29 and 38mm projects and would like to come up with something similar.

Last edited:
Why not use pvc for your 54 as well?

That would be ideal but I am having a hard time finding parts that would be the correct size. With 29 and 38mm, I use 1.25 and 1.5" slip joints respectively. Using the slip-joint parts allow the use of metal slip-nuts and e-clips whereas the only options I have been able to come up with for 54mm would require using a PVC compression ring or PVC end cap exposing the PVC to a lot of direct heat. Here is an example of what my 29mm setup looks like from a recent build:

_MG_3724.JPG

_MG_3764.JPG

Last edited:
I don`t know, when you figure the cost of 54mm hardware and grains ,$34.00for an AeroPack doesn`t seem like a lot of coin for piece of mind and 100% secure retainment.

The next best and easiest option would be a form of Kaplow clip I suppose or if you`re handy ,a retainer similar to what Madcow sells (I`ve made these out of aluminum for 29 & 38mm ,although I just use AeroPack now)

phpCk20ziAM.jpg

phpEOYe4WAM.jpg

phpgMFVk0AM.jpg

phprOJ6coAM.jpg

Take time and look at the Slimline retainers from Giant Leap Rocketry. If mounted correctly, they will take whatever you throw at them ( short of actions which would destroy anything ) and the 54mm retainers begin at $ 23.40.

Kent/GLR
620-727-0045

slimline from GLR are nice, Mirrior clips are good too, just use two or three and tighten them down until it's almost too hard to drive the screw in (careful not to chip the case) and you should be good.

Also, if you are flying dual deploy and have tapped closures, friction fitting with masking tape and attaching the case directly to the shock cord is a good option as well.

Braden

slimline from GLR are nice, Mirrior clips are good too, just use two or three and tighten them down until it's almost too hard to drive the screw in (careful not to chip the case) and you should be good.

Also, if you are flying dual deploy and have tapped closures, friction fitting with masking tape and attaching the case directly to the shock cord is a good option as well.

Braden

Braden, thank you for reminding me, GLR stocks something similar to that called Motorholders.

Best regards, Kent/GLR

Back