Historic versions of Openrocket and Java compatibility

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooffle

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So this is sort of silly but does anyone know if an old version of OR can work with Java 5?
I have an old Mac and that's as high as it can run. For what it's worth I have modern equipment that can run the latest versions, just thought this would be fun to try.

Yeah I like pushing old tech to its limits. This is a beige powermac G3 running Mac OS 10.4.11 circa 2005/6. I haven't tried an unsupported java version yet.

On a separate note I was recently able to get OR 14 to run on windows 98. Not well, but it ran!

Not quite as bad as JRE 1.5 but I have a Win2K8 server at work setup to run a specific version of JRE 1.6.42 to admin some storage devices that run a manufacturing line that if it goes down is $5mil in scrap and $10k per minute in lost production. Yes, it all is getting replaced this fall but it's been like this for years.

There was a 32bit version of 1.6 and I think 1.7 you could try. You have to go to Oracle's special download page to get to them but they're out there.

Yes, it all is getting replaced this fall but it's been like this for years.

Famous last words in IT. I had to make a recovery floppy just this march for a critical system.

And I found a version 6 developer preview for this system that was never released but am having trouble installing it over java 1.5. For the time being I'm giving up, I was already pushing it.

Back