highest flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, in the scenario you proposed, a massless, dragless, airframe wrapped around a massy motor, if you simply eject the motor when velocity is greater than 0, the airframe, which you referred to as the rocket, would continue to coast forever. [emoji573]
But slightly more seriously, it's easy enough to calculate a maximum theoretical (neglecting drag) altitude of some mass traveling at an initial velocity.

Steve Shannon

Last edited:
Does the flight have to follow the pink book rules? Since the OP mentions the official records.

It would. Unless he's trying for CAR or Tripoli records. In any one of those cases he's unlikely to find an airframe that's massless and drag less. That was just a sidebar.

I'm not sure about this and I haven't found it mentioned but I thought the rocket had to be recovered. I'm probably mistaken.

I'm not sure about this and I haven't found it mentioned but I thought the rocket had to be recovered. I'm probably mistaken.

For a record Flight this is likely unless you have live telemetry. Without that how would one verify the data?

Back