High School Team Large Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Matthew

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am a member of my high school rocketry team and every year we compete at TARC attempting to make it to finals. Last year, we all went and it was a blast. We also try to think of a larger project as a side to TARC. Last year, we all did our L1s. Many completed theirs on a Zephyr, some on Spitfires, and Excels. This year, as half of the team will be graduating or are upperclassman, we would like to try and make a larger rocket that will take up a good chunk of time, something that will be for all of us to chip in on. Currently hanging on the walls in our shop class, there are two what look to be 10 foot rockets with what I think are either 75 or 98 mm motor tubes. Of course, these were not flown by the teammates but by more experienced adults. I was looking at a 5.5 inch Iris kit, but still the idea is in the air. We are in Southern California, so with the big rockets we would have to drive out to the desert. We have also done weather balloons for the 2016 solar eclipse, but that was before I attended the school. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome!

LOC rocks! Wow, they might use that as a catch phrase:) I have built many LOC kits, they are great, keep it light and the 38mm motors will fly her fine. Don't know what your local laws are about flying rockets, but find a club and ask. Might not have to go out to the desert. I think all 75 and 98 motors are level 3, you can buy most 38mm stuff all you want.

Because you're going to need a flier of record for that larger project, rather than start with a project, I would suggest you start with a mentor. Find an experienced flier in your area who's willing to work with your team. Discuss your goals with them, and work together to come up with a project.

You're going to want them involved in the build as it progresses.

-Kevin

Yes...what Kevin said.

I would suggest not just building a big 'ole rocket but having an objective which will be a nice little bullet point on future resumes. The first that comes to mind would be to work toward getting qualified for NASA's SLI competition. I don't remember exactly how it works for high school teams but I can say its a rewarding experience. Even though you might be graduating you could get the ball rolling in a very positive direction for your school. But I have all sorts of ideas that would be fun (and maybe educational) for a high school team:

- Can a tube fin rocket go supersonic?
- We want to hit ______ AGL with ______ motor with a automated air-braking system.
- How do we land a separate simulated crew capsule without a parachute? (Basically,, this year's USLI payload challenge) And ya gotta do it landing right side up without spinning like a top. This is harder than it sounds. ;)

I could go on and on...

Whatever you do I strongly recommend coming up with a budget first based on what everyone is willing to contribute. Nothing kills a big group project quicker than squabbles over money. Since you've done TARC and there are several L1 fliers in the team this should be easy to figure out.

You can do electronic deployment at level 1. Maybe something with an airstart. I was amazed how much more time was sucked up by simply adding E.D.
I agree that deciding what to do and getting everyone on board on a group project is a big roadblock sometimes.
Try to pick a project that will utilize all your team members talents without leaving anyone out.
A big rocket is undeniably cool, but one with several interesting features other than a big push will look better on the old resume.

Because you're going to need a flier of record for that larger project, rather than start with a project, I would suggest you start with a mentor. Find an experienced flier in your area who's willing to work with your team. Discuss your goals with them, and work together to come up with a project.

-Kevin
We have a couple people associated with the team who are experienced fliers. Our old superintendent is L3 certified and so is a couple of other people who are associated with the team

-Kevin
Concur. The mentor might be willing to help you pick out a kit or supplies.

My teacher is the one who encouraged us to brainstorm a project for this year, he is completely on board with it as well as the other team members. Reaching 10k feet would be quite the feet and we have a couple kids who are trying to create an air brake system. Still trying to come up with a finalized idea

We have a couple people associated with the team who are experienced fliers. Our old superintendent is L3 certified and so is a couple of other people who are associated with the team
I would pick our a LOC Kit or scratch build from parts. You will build a lighter bird that will save soem money on motors.

I would pick our a LOC Kit or scratch build from parts. You will build a lighter bird that will save soem money on motors.
It would be awesome to build a larger scratch built HPR, just don’t know if when we get into those larger rockets if we should glass it or not

an Air Brake System would be interesting to try and do. That would take some serious testing, could be an idea

It would be awesome to build a larger scratch built HPR, just don’t know if when we get into those larger rockets if we should glass it or not
As said by Titan, it is not needed. I would recommend that you pick a design and build one smaller version so test the design on a smaller concept.

Being in socal, have you talked with or met up with people (mentors) from MDARS or ROC? ROCstock Is in a few weeks.

Also for a bit more challenge, maybe think about a scratch build?

This is kind of like auto racing, how fast do you want to go and how much money do you have?

Rockets are kind of the same, how high do you want to go and how much money do you have?

Picking a project isn't just about altitude and motor size. Budget, available skills, available tools and resources, etc. all play into it.

Good Luck and have fun!

Maybe something with an airstart. I was amazed how much more time was sucked up by simply adding E.D.
University of Illinois did a large two stage at our last high-power launch. I wasn't really paying attention because I was focusing on taking my L2 test but it sounded like they all had separate teams build each component. Don't think the second stage lit, don't think it deployed any charge. They found it (probably miles away). Think the booster lost the motor case too. Yeah, it gets complicated fast.

I also just ordered the IRIS 5.5 and it looks like a great rocket for very large L2 motors. Either the IRIS-4 or IRIS-5.5 would be great for L2. The IRIS-4 you could get in some flights on the I180 to work out any bugs before something like the J250. If you all have your L1 cert, is an individual going to get their L2 first? The 5.5 IRIS I think would be a fun project, but I think having everyone work through getting their L2 would be a great choice too.

Last edited:
Back