HiAlt 45K Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpoceta

Reaction score
I got a PerfectFlite HiAlt 45k altimeter the other day and it is my first altimeter and I had a question.

I was trying to put an on/off switch in, and when I was trying to hook up the wires to the terminal, I noticed that the screws were all the way down and there was a wire in the shape of an "n" that appeared to be held in by the screws. The manual didn't say anything about it and it is not pictured in the pictures of the altimeter. I called a friend with this altimeter (Lucas) and he said to unscrew the screws and take it out. When I tried the screws just did not want to unscrew applying a moderate amount of force. I also tried to just remove the wire thing with plyers applying only a light amount of force and it did not budge.

What is this wire thing and why don't the screws want to come out?
Help me TRF!

Heres a blurry picture but you can kind of see what I am talking about in the upper right.

IMG_2581.jpg

The little wire is like having the switch turn on. The screws on mine where very tight but they will come loose with a little effert.

It's basically like an on/off switch that is always closed (on). So unscrew it (mine took a moderate amount of force but after it budged it unscrewed very easily). It's just a standard terminal block with a wire acting as a jumper...

All of my PF altimeters came this way. Do doubt makes it easier for PF while they are 'burning in' the alt after assembly. Remove & discard the wire and use your favorite switch.

With the perfectflight altimeters, you have the option of having your switch in the battery line, or alternatively, having the battery connected and using a separate switch. Electrically, it's the same, but it might be easier to hook up one way or the other depending on your application. If you use a switch in your battery leads, leave the jumper installed. Or, hook up the battery directly to the terminals and put a switch where the jumper is. I use them both ways. Clear as mud?

Back