Hey computer folk....engine default?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
My search engine keeps defaulting to Yahoo, and I don't want it to.

I use Google Chrome as my browser and prefer Google as my search engine. I DO manually set Google as the default engine. But fairly often (though not all the time), when I open up my browser it goes to Yahoo for search. I do not ever use Yahoo on purpose, nor have I ever "gone there" intentionally.

Why is this happening, and how can I fix it it? Or, in another way of looking at it, how do I set my search engine as Google in such a way that it stays that way?

thanks, s6

Do you have Yahoo set as a home page? The search default shouldn't change unless you have something actively adjusting your configuration behind the scenes.

I've also tried to do a Chrome "reset and cleanup"/"clean up computer" but, as often happens whenever I lookup how to do such things, if I try to follow the directions exactly as stated, I run into a wall wherein I don't have a particular option to select.

In this case at one point from the Chrome Settings, I'm supposed to scroll down to and click "Advanced", and then select "Reset and Cleanup".....but there IS no "Advanced" button to click.

s6

My search engine keeps defaulting to Yahoo, and I don't want it to.

I use Google Chrome as my browser and prefer Google as my search engine. I DO manually set Google as the default engine. But fairly often (though not all the time), when I open up my browser it goes to Yahoo for search. I do not ever use Yahoo on purpose, nor have I ever "gone there" intentionally.

Why is this happening, and how can I fix it it? Or, in another way of looking at it, how do I set my search engine as Google in such a way that it stays that way?

thanks, s6
See this article:
https://cybernews.com/malware/how-to-remove-yahoo-search-from-chrome/
Another reason you keep getting set back to Yahoo is if you allow Avast or McAffee to activate their safe search features. They both set your search engine to Yahoo. Norton does something similar but I don’t know which search engine they use. It used to be Ask.

So, things to try: turn off ”Safe Search” browser add-on.
Run a virus checkerto remove the search engine hijacker.

Last edited:
You have some malware. I've experienced that as well. I set it to Google and then it goes to Bing or Yahoo. Uninstall Chrome and re-install Chrome. That's your best bet for now.

Another reason you keep getting set back to Yahoo is if you allow Avast or McAffee to activate their safe search features.

My experience as well. My experience with McAfee is it was worse software to have than most spam/adware had the ability to cause problems.

I don't have Avast experience in the last 3 years.

Back