Here's my first Scratch...Pershing Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatbob02

Reaction score
Here's my first scratch. It's the Pershing Missile using the old Estes plans. Based on a BT101 tube, Plywood core fins, ribbed and plywood transitions. Set up for a 24mm Aerotech reloadable.
Click on my user name and check out my Webshots build pics.

View attachment DONE.JPG

LOWERFIN1.jpg

UPPERFIN1.jpg

Very nice! Did you make the waterslides yourself?

Yes I did make the decals in Photoshop CS2. The orange markings are painted. I had the orange decals on but I used a clear decal paper and the color changed when placed over the green. Didn't look good. It would have worked with white decal paper but I was out and couldn't wait, so I painted it.

Looks great. I like how you constructed the lower fins.

Here's my first scratch. It's the Pershing Missile using the old Estes plans. Based on a BT101 tube, Plywood core fins, ribbed and plywood transitions. Set up for a 24mm Aerotech reloadable.
Click on my user name and check out my Webshots build pics.

Nice job!
I'm finishing up a Pershing 1A kit by The Launch Pad...w/ some mods.

The kit requires paper shrouds (three seperate transition pieces) for the entire conical nose cone. I laid light fiberglass on the shrouds...

The fins are very fragile balsa on the rear set and paper folded over balsa frame on the forward set.

I have converted the MMT to 29mm.

I'd like to know the weight of yours w/o motor and the approx. CG....CP if you have RockSimed this one.
And what motors you are contemplating using...

I don't have Rocksim yet but I'll probibly get it before I launch. The weight without the motor is 505 grams. I haven't calculated the CG or CP yet. I use to do it old school but 3 fins is more difficult for the CP. I would think the CP would be very close to the original Estes since I used their plans.
As for the motor, I built it to use a 24mm Aerotech. Probibly go with the F but not sure at this point.

As for the fins, I didn't know how I was going to construct them. I blew up the plans and stared at them for a few hours. I threw a few lines down and did some math, balsa aileron stock worked perfect!

perfin1.jpg

Bob,

I checked out your website and I just have to say your observatory is sweeeeet!!!!! :cool: Very, very nice. I'd like to make me one of those some day. I'm gonna have to move somewhere where it actually gets dark first. That photo you got of the twin galaxy's was awesome. :adore:

And I almost forgot... Very nice scratch builds you've got there.

Tim

I don't have Rocksim yet but I'll probibly get it before I launch. The weight without the motor is 505 grams. I haven't calculated the CG or CP yet. I use to do it old school but 3 fins is more difficult for the CP. I would think the CP would be very close to the original Estes since I used their plans.
As for the motor, I built it to use a 24mm Aerotech. Probibly go with the F but not sure at this point.
As for the fins, I didn't know how I was going to construct them. I blew up the plans and stared at them for a few hours. I threw a few lines down and did some math, balsa aileron stock worked perfect!

I never had the Estes kit (maxi version...had the others)
If you want - PM the materials/specs and measurements to me and I'll run a Sim for you...I would need a measurement of length and width and fin locations - starting from the tip of the nose cone...back to the tail.

Give me the diameter at each transition point.

These fins would be easy to put in...root length and span width.
You posted info on what materials you used (tell me if there are others - balsa, cardboard, paper, whatever) and the length of the internal motor mount, and centering ring thicknesses.
I'll confirm an estimate on the weight...see if I'm in the ball park to your model & give you a Barrowman and Rocksim CG/Cp and some flight data.

I have a vested interest here...before I send mine up...

Nice job there stymye..very nice diamond pattern on the fins.

What motors are you flying in the pics?

What paint did you use?

And the nose cone...source? ( I think Ed Miller had an all FG nose cone for sale at one time...wished I had bought one ..)

Thanks,
those pics were on the G40 and G38fj.
the smallest motor It has flown on is the F50 the largest was a rrG80.it has logged 7 flights so far.

the paint was krylon 'hosta leaf' green and krylon orange .
later I added the black and white stripes to the cone with airbrush colors.

the cone is an Ed Miller FG cone, it weighs about 13 oz so, no noseweight was necesary.

That Green looked like an Olive Drab with a flat finish...had me fooled.

I see a Little Joe II picture in there...have you built one?

that was from a very early prototype that Sandman (roachwerks) was working on. I did some long distance beta work on it with him, and never took the model to completion. efforts were being concentrated on the capsule and tower at that time.
for the longest time, I kept hitting a road block untill we finally realised that I had been working from a different type of 4" tube than he was, I remember having a good laugh over that one(after much fustration)
actually, the model does not lack much from being done.

Bob,sorry for drifting a little OT on your excellent Pershing , it's quite impressive for a first scratch build.!

very nice scratch build Pershing you have. Can't wait to see any launch pic's when you get the chance.

BTW back on the Pershing 1a, I can still make Pershing 1a nose cones in BT-60 through BT-101 sizes.

Just email me if you're interested.

Phred at Excelcior has the decal sets in all the sizes.

This is a BT-80 (finished) and a BT-60 without the decals.

just found this thread , very nice job! one of my favorites.
I also scratchbuilt the 4" after trying to find a maxi kit with no luck.
heres a few pics of the rocket and build.

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/stymye/Pershing 29mm/

Thanks Andy. Could you tell me where the CP is on your rocket? I don't have rocsim yet and I'm concerned. I built it with a 24mm reloadable in mind. I wish I had used a 29mm. It weighs in at 505 grams without the motor. Oh well, it was the first.

Thanks,Bob

I have to say that I'm reading this over because I got 'snagged' by the Sandman's quality cone for clone of my own... I like the way that sounds! :D

Regarding the CP, check out EMRR's list https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/rocksim/cp.cgi?OOP_-_Estes_Industries&&bymanf

It shows as being 29.29" from the tip of the nose using Rocksim. I can't help to confirm that, however... That was for the Estes' original construction, so it's only a 'guess-timate'.

Good luck!

Great looking model!
I've been meaning to do a pershing missle, but have yet to get them in the que.
SOOOOOO many rockets so little time.. and many many micro to build:)

Thanks Andy. Could you tell me where the CP is on your rocket? I don't have rocsim yet and I'm concerned. I built it with a 24mm reloadable in mind. I wish I had used a 29mm. It weighs in at 505 grams without the motor. Oh well, it was the first.

Thanks,Bob

I cloned the estes maxi version so the fins are oversize, still the cg is just below the cone.I'm convinced that a pershing model needs heavy noseweight.
mine is heavy enough that it flys best on strong F or G motors.

I cant speak for sandmans pershing kits, other than I did grab a roachwerks tlp size cone,soon as thay were available.

I have seen several clones and tlp models go unstable at our local launches. over the years, however that could be the build technique , I can't say, I love the look of it but had yet to see one >not crash after witnessing mabey 5 or 6 take to the sky
so I was commited to buid and fly one myself ,luckly mine flys dead straight even on windy days, a good fast impulse motor also helps to get it stable off the rod.

If I built one now I would make it much lighter.

I cloned the estes maxi version so the fins are oversize, still the cg is just below the cone.I'm convinced that a pershing model needs heavy noseweight.
mine is heavy enough that it flys best on strong F or G motors.

I cant speak for sandmans pershing kits, other than I did grab a roachwerks tlp size cone,soon as thay were available.

I have seen several clones and tlp models go unstable at our local launches. over the years, however that could be the build technique , I can't say, I love the look of it but had yet to see one >not crash after witnessing mabey 5 or 6 take to the sky
so I was commited to buid and fly one myself ,luckly mine flys dead straight even on windy days, a good fast impulse motor also helps to get it stable off the rod.

If I built one now I would make it much lighter.

Just to clarify, mine weren't kits...just the nose cones. It's up to the builder to make it stable. Now the smaller versions, Bt-80 and lower, came with a lead slug.

BTW back on the Pershing 1a, I can still make Pershing 1a nose cones in BT-60 through BT-101 sizes.

Just email me if you're interested.

Phred at Excelcior has the decal sets in all the sizes.

This is a BT-80 (finished) and a BT-60 without the decals.

PM sent....

I cloned the estes maxi version so the fins are oversize, still the cg is just below the cone.

Would that be just below the transition point of the body tube then...?

I ask because the Launch Pad kit has a very tiny nose cone at the top.....(see pic)..the rest is BT transition ....and not part of the NC per se.

A CG "just below the nose cone" on TLP kit might be very different from a build with a solid nose cone including most of the transition - taking up half the rocket length

So - "just below" THAT nose cone would be somewhere near the middle...as a opposed to the very top of TLP kit.

View attachment Pershing 1A - Nose Cone.JPG

Here's a pic of the Roc sim on my BT-60 version.

It has 2.5oz of lead in the nose cone "transition".

pershing1abt60.jpg

I have to say that I'm reading this over because I got 'snagged' by the Sandman's quality cone for clone of my own... I like the way that sounds! :D

Regarding the CP, check out EMRR's list https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/rocksim/cp.cgi?OOP_-_Estes_Industries&&bymanf

It shows as being 29.29" from the tip of the nose using Rocksim. I can't help to confirm that, however... That was for the Estes' original construction, so it's only a 'guess-timate'.

Good luck!

Thanks Glen. I used the original Estes plans for my dimensions.CP should be the same. The CG I can do Old School.:) I built the transition as lite as I possibly could with balsa ribs,BT80 core, and 1/64" plywood wraps. As for the launching, I purchased a 2 piece 5 foot launch rod. I know I'll need some speed at launch for stability. I have my fingers crossed!

Back