Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronvanhorn

Hank82
Reaction score
I am building a mad cow DX3 and I am new to the rocketry hobby. I was looking through the build and noticed that I didn’t have any engine retainment in the forward engine compartment, do I need something to keep the engine from moving up into the rocket when shooting it off?

Unless you are building BP ( estes ) the engine will come with a thrust ring already installed. What size DX3 are you building? So there is no need for an engine " hook ".

You need motor retention on the rear to keep the motor from ejecting out the back. Aeropack retainers work great.

I used a Super DX3 for my L2. Mine has a 54mm motor mount. I also have the Aeropack 54/38 adaptor, which I used for the L2 flight. Here's a photo I took of the motor mount. That's an Aeropack 54mm motor retainer attached with JB Weld.20180708_122147.jpg

do I need something to keep the engine from moving up into the rocket when shooting it off?
no. the single use AP motors have a thrust ring built into them. the reload cases have a thrust ring in them. its wise to keep the top of the motor mount free so longer motors can be used.
you will want to look into a motor retainer,though. that way the motor wont pop out the back when the ejection charge goes off.

I am building a mad cow DX3 and I am new to the rocketry hobby. I was looking through the build and noticed that I didn’t have any engine retainment in the forward engine compartment, do I need something to keep the engine from moving up into the rocket when shooting it off?

Look at how the F and G motors all have a wider (larger diameter) portion near the top. Well the top is actually the bottom, and that larger portion is what carries the weight of the rocket.

Motor_Composite_sizes.jpg

Back