Help with launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniazijasz

Reaction score
Hi, I have built a rocket with 6 motors. I have been planning on creating a clip whip to ignite them. Is this my best option, if yes what is the best way to make it? If not, how do you suggest I go about launching my rocket?

Since this is your first post, please tell us more about your rocketry experience and this particular rocket. How many rockets have you built and flown successfully? Do you have a club near you? They could help you tremendously. What kind of rocket is it? Did you check for stability by using OpenRocket or another computer program?

Apogee sells 2-, 3-, and 4-clip whips. You could buy a two and a four and clip them to your battery leads.

Since this is your first post, please tell us more about your rocketry experience and this particular rocket. How many rockets have you built and flown successfully? Do you have a club near you? They could help you tremendously. What kind of rocket is it? Did you check for stability by using OpenRocket or another computer program?

So I am currently working on this rocket as a school project. I have built and flown 2 other small rockets similar to this. I attended NCSSM's aerospace engineering accelerator course on rocketry this summer and that was where I got into rocketry. I live a hour away from any clubs that could help me. The rocket's booster stage is what my question is concerned with. I am trying to ignite 4 E12-0 engines and 2 mini motors (for parachutes on the booster stage). I have used open rocket to design my project. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Apogee sells 2-, 3-, and 4-clip whips. You could buy a two and a four and clip them to your battery leads.
Thanks I'm trying to avoid buying clip whips currently but am willing to buy some if i see that my plans to launch the rocket on a home made one, are futile.

A lot depends on the igniter you will use. If they are longer and can be wired together, then you may only need the two clips from the launch system. If they are the shorter Estes solar types then clip whips will probably be required.

Some copper clips from McMasterCarr https://www.mcmaster.com/#test-lead-adapters/=1054rw5 number 7236K91 should work well soldered to some speaker wire. That's what I use to make my clip whips I've been using for almost 5 years now.

Hey, nice to find you here. Tell Hannah I said hey. I think you most likely remember, were using black powder.

Hey! DIdn't expect to see you here.

Did I ever tell you about Q2G2's? Low current igniters... much better than Estes igniters.

Hey! DIdn't expect to see you here.

Did I ever tell you about Q2G2's? Low current igniters... much better than Estes igniters.

No, I don't remember you mentioning them. Do you suggest I use those instead? I've already got some igniters from Estes.

A lot depends on the igniter you will use. If they are longer and can be wired together, then you may only need the two clips from the launch system. If they are the shorter Estes solar types then clip whips will probably be required.

Some copper clips from McMasterCarr https://www.mcmaster.com/#test-lead-adapters/=1054rw5 number 7236K91 should work well soldered to some speaker wire. That's what I use to make my clip whips I've been using for almost 5 years now.

I'll be using Estes igniters, I'm considering buying clip whips more and more.

Estes igniters are finicky. The new "white" ones with no pyrogen need to be firmly pressed up into the nozzle in order to light. And they break easily. When clustering, you want to do everything you can to ensure successful ignition of all your motors. Upgrading your igniters would be a good first step. Just IMO.

A warning, though. If you are using an Estes launch controller, the continuity charge is sufficient to ignite a Q2G2. So find another way to check continuity.

I'll be using Estes igniters, I'm considering buying clip whips more and more.

I use clip whips with Estes Igniters all the time with no problems just make sure and check your igniters that all of them are good. The Q2G2 are the best route to go if you can, but the Estes igniters have been used for a long time.

So I am currently working on this rocket as a school project. I have built and flown 2 other small rockets similar to this. I attended NCSSM's aerospace engineering accelerator course on rocketry this summer and that was where I got into rocketry. I live a hour away from any clubs that could help me. The rocket's booster stage is what my question is concerned with. I am trying to ignite 4 E12-0 engines and 2 mini motors (for parachutes on the booster stage). I have used open rocket to design my project. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Do you realize that your rocket is a FAA Class 2 High power rocket by propellant weight (>125 grams of propellant installed) so you need L1 certification from TRA or NAR to launch it? (E12 has about 36 grams x 4 ~ 144 grams + the other 2 motors.)

I assume that you are not high power certified so simply drop the booster engines down from E12-0 to D12-0 and you're good to go.

Bob

The Q2G2 also come in a size with 8 inch leads very handy to have some extra wire for twisiting together to eliminate the need for whips

Kenny

Another thing to think about weather you are using E12, D12-0's or any combination of BP motors.

Clip Whips; No matter how well made are ONLY an extension of whatever electrical launch system is being used. Multi Motors Clusters MUST be ignited using a High Amp 12V battery.
Anytime clustered BP motors are being ignited, as high an amp hour 12V battery as you can muster system MUST be used.

I strongly suggest the use of Q2g2 Quest Igniters if you can get them.

I also strongly suggest using a RELAY Ignitions system which moves the battery from the controller side of the Circuit to the Launcher side. Actually UNDER the Launcher. With this type Launch system the High Amp battery can more quickly deliver the Maximum Amps through Shorter max 18" leads to near instantly vaporize all igniters within Milliseconds.
DO note: Even with relay ignition systems, NO two Igniters and/or motors will ignite and burn at the same rate. This is why you should allow a small loop of wire under each motor connection so the model can begin to raise with first motion allow the slower motors to lit before the micro clips are ripped off.

I've been flying 2-12 BP motor clusters for decades with very nearly 100% all motor reliability using a Relay ignition system.

View attachment Cluster Wiring Diagrams-2c_Dwg(Revised)_09-17-12.pdf

130l2-sm_3X Ram-Jet_ 2 liftoff pic_94-95.jpg

Back