Hello from Colorado Front Range

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, thanks to all who share some much good info. I’m a first time poster, and been lurking for a bit.

Just built my first rocket. I became familiar with the in the early 80’s just after the Army. My younger cousins had a blast with them. I am looking to introduce my grand nephews to the fun.

First rocket was a great learning experience. I built an Estes Patriot Missile. (was involved with the earliest Patriot in the Army)

Here’s the learning part. Assembled the body tubes, ( 2 long, 1 short) then mounted the motor in the wrong end. 🙁 Built a simple fin alignment tool, that worked well. Primed with Duplicolor white sandable primer … jury is out on that selection. Did not get a great fill on the spirals. Will try something new with the next one. For the top coat, I picked up paint at Michael’s (happened to be there). The Color Shot paint must be a lacquer, as the clear coat melted a bit of the color coat, and ran a bit.

I was happy with my glue up, fin alignment and the outcome of the fillets. Papered the fins using the Avery Label approach. Overall, a fun little project and got the opportunity to practice what I have read here. A lot to learn and a lot of room for improvement. Looking forward to seeing how it flies.

thanks for all of the shared info. Perhaps, some day, I can return the favor.

-mike

Attachments

• F883544A-854E-46D6-9D24-F5F3A7C0D480.jpeg
    F883544A-854E-46D6-9D24-F5F3A7C0D480.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 6DE1E768-5F86-4792-9F14-A4C94C7BDC39.jpeg
    6DE1E768-5F86-4792-9F14-A4C94C7BDC39.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
First, thanks to all who share some much good info. I’m a first time poster, and been lurking for a bit.

Just built my first rocket. I became familiar with the in the early 80’s just after the Army. My younger cousins had a blast with them. I am looking to introduce my grand nephews to the fun.

First rocket was a great learning experience. I built an Estes Patriot Missile. (was involved with the earliest Patriot in the Army)

Here’s the learning part. Assembled the body tubes, ( 2 long, 1 short) then mounted the motor in the wrong end. 🙁 Built a simple fin alignment tool, that worked well. Primed with Duplicolor white sandable primer … jury is out on that selection. Did not get a great fill on the spirals. Will try something new with the next one. For the top coat, I picked up paint at Michael’s (happened to be there). The Color Shot paint must be a lacquer, as the clear coat melted a bit of the color coat, and ran a bit.

I was happy with my glue up, fin alignment and the outcome of the fillets. Papered the fins using the Avery Label approach. Overall, a fun little project and got the opportunity to practice what I have read here. A lot to learn and a lot of room for improvement. Looking forward to seeing how it flies.

thanks for all of the shared info. Perhaps, some day, I can return the favor.

-mike
Very cool! Don’t worry about the screwups, it happens to all of us.

What motor have you got picked out? I’m guessing an Estes B4-4?

Just got back from the All Colorado Rocketry Dinner. So stuffed with food and rocket stuff won at thier huge raffle. Lots of great clubs in this State. The NARAM for next year was announced for SCORE in Pueblo! NSL is in Alamosa SLVR over Memorial Day this year. Where are you in Colorado?

I have B6-4 to get a feel for how it flys, and would like to try a C6-7 if all is good.
And I am an expert at gettin it wrong , but I learn 👍
The 7-second delay might be a little bit long (Estes recommends a C6-5) but I don’t anticipate a hazardous impact. Should be a fun flight!

Just got back from the All Colorado Rocketry Dinner. So stuffed with food and rocket stuff won at thier huge raffle. Lots of great clubs in this State. The NARAM for next year was announced for SCORE in Pueblo! NSL is in Alamosa SLVR over Memorial Day this year. Where are you in Colorado?
Sounds like that was a good event, will have to learn more. I am in Castle Rock. Just playing with LPR for now, trying to develop my build skills and learn the science of the hobby.

Hello, Colorado Mike,
You just happen to be in the right spot for model rocketry in Castle Rock ! We have a group of old rocketeers that get together to fly as often as possible.
This group includes from folks as far north as Fort Collins to south in Larkspur. We generally fly at Dove Valley Regional Patk in Centennial, but o occasionally a couple of us will gather here in a Castle Rock.
Please send me a PM with your contact info, and I can get you on our 'launch alert' list.
Welcome to TRF !

Sorry about all the typos in that last post. It's early....😎

Mike,
Out of curiosity, do you happen to live in the Haven area of Castle Rock?
I am acquainted with a gentleman just across the street from me that recently got a Patriot kit and has talked of getting into rocketry. Could you perhaps be the same guy?
-Ed

Mike,
Out of curiosity, do you happen to live in the Haven area of Castle Rock?
I am acquainted with a gentleman just across the street from me that recently got a Patriot kit and has talked of getting into rocketry. Could you perhaps be the same guy?
-Ed
Hello Ed …. It is me … been meaning to knock on the door. Joined the forum to give and take some ideas (mostly taking) 🙂 right now

Latest posts

Back