Hd Tv????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickburst

Reaction score
OK so I'm probably going to take the dive and get a new TV and DVD player.

Most likely a Vizio and a Samsung Blue Ray player. No particular reason for my selection other than price and Walmart has them in stock.

question?
I see there are HDMI connections. Are these cables going from the DVD player to the TV?
I have Comcast cable, do I have to get a new cable box? Do the newer cable box have HDMI cables? Is there any such thing as a cable box with HDMI ports? If the cable box I have does not have HDMI ports will I be seeing HD TV?

I realize that I am clueless.

To see it in high def. , you will need to upgrade your cable box.
Most cable companies will let you upgrade for free.

JD

Dave,

I just went through this with my cable company. Your cable company will need to provide an HD converter box. Most of these will not have HDMI connectors but will have component video outputs and usually a DVI connector. The cable company will likely hook up the component video connector for you. The DVI is better, but you will need to purchase a DVI to HDMI cable to use it. Please don't buy the ridiculously overpriced cables at the store (Monster Cable and others). Get your cables here:

https://www.dcables.net/

If you get a DVR (a really cool thing to have) it will have HDMI connectors.

Dan Vento

These cables are just as good and cost whatt they should.

Panasonic BD35 player has good reviews at the moment, about $250. The BD55 is about $100 more but only offers some features that are unlikely to be used. You must get a player that offers BDLive - the internet connectivity features.

Please don't buy the ridiculously overpriced cables at the store (Monster Cable and others). Get your cables here:

Dan Vento

He's not kidding about this, David. The big box stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, WalMart and others place obscene markups on necessary extras such as HDMI cables. Just as a point of interest, just yesterday I noticed that BB had a Monster HDMI cable priced at ~$70, and a no-name cheapie for ~$60!

What's the difference between the cable offered by the website mentioned above and the alternative offered by the big box store? Absolutely nothing, except the fact that they have you trapped in the store at the point of purchase and see it as an opportunity to absolutely screw the customer to the wall.

If you need a relatively affordable HDMI cable quickly, check your local Apple Store, where you can find one for $20.

James

James Duffy
[email protected]
www.rocket.aero

OK so I'm probably going to take the dive and get a new TV and DVD player. Most likely a Vizio and a Samsung Blue Ray player. No particular reason for my selection other than price and Walmart has them in stock.

If you have a Sam's Club near by, get a day pass and take a look at the selection they have. Up in DFW, the Sam's Club have a much better selection with better prices than the Wal Mart stores. A friend of ours picked up a new Sony that he couldn't find in stock at any of the other discounters, saving enough to pay for a year's membership.

I see there are HDMI connections. Are these cables going from the DVD player to the TV?

HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface. Our BlueRay DVD player has a HDMI output, as does our DirectTV satellite HD/DVR. Unfortunately, our TV has only one HDMI connector, so sometimes you have to a make a choice as to which source gets the HDMI input (supposedly the highest quality, but to be honest, neither my wife or I can tell any difference between the picture quality of the HDMI or component inputs).

The biggest advantage of HDMI is a single connection between the device and your TV. Get a TV with at least 3 HDMI ports. Most newer cable boxes have HDMI, since it's required for some content. Follow the advice on HDMI cables -expensive is not better. HDMI does allow for full 1080P resolution, but for most material, it's hard to notice the difference over 720P.

Vizio is an ok brand, but it is a 'discount' brand. Compare it to others before you buy. Costco does give you an extended warranty for free, so there are advantages to some stores over others.

Enjoy your new purchase. BTW, Netflix is a great way to get Blu-Ray discs. The cheap option is only about $8 a month.

tms

DVI is being phased out in favor of HDMI. Pretty much the only thing that uses DVI now is Apple computers, though they may of started using HDMI now (any Mac users can chime in here)

2muchstuff is right.

The Vizio is ok, but you can do better. I got mine at BJ's, it's like Costco or sams. They have a large selection set up so you can compare the picture quality. They also have all the TV's playing the same HD demo disk so you can get a good idea of the differences.

Do you know what kind you want?

I have a plasma, my father in law has a LCD. They both have strengths and weaknesses. In a very bright ambient light the LCD can have a tendency to get washed out.
The Plasma generates a lot of heat, and in the past had some screen life issues. I would stay away from DLP. It is a projection type TV and if you are not watching on center, you lose picture quality.

I think everything you will find now will be 1080p, but that does not mean that you will always be watching 1080. Many broadcasts are still only 720.

You don't NEED a HD cable box, you can put up an HD off air antenna. But they are kind of pricey. Also some HDTVs come with the capability to take a cable feed to HD without a cable box. This is the case with my Phillips. When I had Comcast I could just screw the cable into the tv and get HD. I would get the standard channel, say 4 then HD would be 4.1. The TV would do it all. I did need the HD box to watch channels other than PBS,NBC,CBS,ABC.

We now have Verizon Fios, and I need the box for everything as fios is not a signal that a TV can read. Every tv, standard or HD needs a box with Fios.

Hope this helps

Mark

Dave,

I just went through this with my cable company. Your cable company will need to provide an HD converter box. Most of these will not have HDMI connectors but will have component video outputs and usually a DVI connector. The cable company will likely hook up the component video connector for you. The DVI is better, but you will need to purchase a DVI to HDMI cable to use it. Please don't buy the ridiculously overpriced cables at the store (Monster Cable and others). Get your cables here:

Dan Vento

This, to me, is priceless. Thanx for this link. I think I'll buy this ahead of time, just to have it, so that if I ever get a HDTV, that's $140 I won't have to spend.

And whose bright idea was it anyway to sell these TV's w/o the cable? How stupid is that? Oh, you mean you want to actually watch your new TV, well then you need to buy an additional cable..... That's like buying a car, Oh you want the tires on it, well...

And whose bright idea was it anyway to sell these TV's w/o the cable? How stupid is that?

Can't speak for every brand and every set, but my Sony came with an HDMI cable, as did our Blue-Ray DVD player. So, why dontcha wait and see what you need before going out and stocking up on cables.

No such thing as an HD Antenna. Just a marketing gimmic. ANY outside antenna,even an old set of rabbit ears will pick up over the air HD broadcasts. You can get a KILLER outside antenna at Home depot for about 70 bucks,or an inside one for cheaper. Also,I have a home theater reciever that takes all my video inputs and upconverts them to 1080i. all into one hdmi output to my tv. I love it!!

Dave,,
Before I bought my plasma. I did some research and the consensus was Sony for LCD and Panasonic for plasma.
Hope this helps.

Oh, and as others stated above Sam's Club and Costco usually have great deals on them and you can compare side by side for picture quality. Also look for "Last Ones" which are demo's. You get to see the actual tv in operation and the price is a lot lower. Got my Panasonic that way for almost half the price. Works great and it still has all the warranty. You have to be there soon after they mark it down as they don't last long.
One other thought as to warranty. The extended warranty at Sam's club is the same as you would get and better from Circuit City and Best Buy for a fraction of the cost. The first year is just bring it back for "Any" reason (doesn't even have to be a problem with it) and get your money back after that it's fix or replace with in home service.

No such thing as an HD Antenna. Just a marketing gimmic. ANY outside antenna,even an old set of rabbit ears will pick up over the air HD broadcasts. You can get a KILLER outside antenna at Home depot for about 70 bucks,or an inside one for cheaper. Also,I have a home theater reciever that takes all my video inputs and upconverts them to 1080i. all into one hdmi output to my tv. I love it!!

Yep. Any directional UHF / VHF antenna will work great.

That's TOO funny... and too darn close to the truth...

I know I'm getting old because I FEEL like that everytime the computer decides to take a dump or the TV/VCR/DVD/Satellite craps out...

I thought I was doing pretty good when I figured out how to hook the VCR up to the TV and get it to quit blinking 12:00... Then I got satellite... then a DVD recorder... then decided to hook the stereo up to the system to get 'surround' sound... Sometimes I think I need an electronics degree....

*sigh* OL JR :)

BTW, David, since you're just down the road from me, I'd check out FRY'S ELECTRONICS in Houston on the SW side before I bought anything... If it's available anywhere, Fry's will have it and their prices looked pretty competitive... JMHO and good luck! OL JR :)

Yep. Any directional UHF / VHF antenna will work great.

Until January.

When the move to digital TV comes in early 2009, the new digital broadcasts will be moving to UHF only. The VHF TV bands are then supposed to be given over to other services.

If you want to install an antenna for HDTV, you would be much better served by going with a UHF-only design. It will be optimized for UHF, rather than a compromise for UHF/VHF. It will also be a lot smaller, given the higher frequency.

When the move to digital TV comes in early 2009, the new digital broadcasts will be moving to UHF only. The VHF TV bands are then supposed to be given over to other services.

Not ALL digital broadcasts will be on UHF - most major markets will still have one or two DTV stations that are staying on VHF frequencies... here, in the DFW area, for example, WFAA-TV (Analog 8) will be on Ch 9.

Here's a chart that shows most of the markets in the US and their channel assignments: https://www.tvtower.com/hdtv_status.html

DVI is being phased out in favor of HDMI. Pretty much the only thing that uses DVI now is Apple computers, though they may of started using HDMI now (any Mac users can chime in here)

I haven't seen that at all - desktop computers use DVI like they always have, and video cards still have the standard dual DVI outputs. HDTVs use HDMI almost exclusively, but computers are just as exclusively using DVI, except the really cheap ones (and, perplexingly, laptops), which are stuck with VGA.

HDMI is the port to use for consumer.
DP (Display Port) is the corporate standard.

DVI is yesterday's interface.
Legacy VGA should go the way of the Dodo soon....only old projector support keeps it alive.

Buy ONLY TV's with HDMI1.3....

You can get cable box's with this interface -- I've been running a Comcast PVR with HDMI for over 3 years....

...but computers are just as exclusively using DVI, except the really cheap ones (and, perplexingly, laptops), which are stuck with VGA.

I think decent laptops now are coming with both VGA and HDMI outputs, which maximizes the amount of stuff you can hook them up to I spose.

I haven't looked at dedicated computer monitors in a while, do they have HDMI inputs, or just DVI/VGA?

A small warning against the super-cheap HDMI cables... I unplugged a £6 HDMI cable yesterday and the casing on the connector fell apart in my hand. Still works fine, but if that happened after two weeks I do wonder how long it's going to last.

Phil

I just took the leap yesterday.

Got a 42" 1080P Toshiba with the 120Hz "smoothing" feature (more below) for about $1k from Tiger Direct.

Consumer Reports has some pretty detailed ratings and highly recommends getting a set that has the 120Hz feature-if I understand things correctly, most sets just have a 60Hz scan rate, but those that offer the doubled rate, interpolate between actual broadcast frames to provide smoother motion especially with Standard Definition and Extended Definition signals.

A lot of the inexpensive deals this weekend are on 720p sets. Some are on 1080i, but none, that I saw, are on the higher-end 1080p units.

While there isn't a lot of 1080P content, I'm buying for 7+ years, so figure on spending a little now and not having to replace it soon. I'm still running the 20" JVC that I got in 1988. That's going to be replaced with my family room set and the family room gets the new set.

I'm not the TV geek in the house, that's my wife-she did all the research on what features we needed and then we debated merits of Toshiba vs Sony vs whomever. Then I got to pay for it....:).

If you've got questions, I'm sure she'd be glad to answer them.

Cheers,
Jon

OK, some examples, please?

I buy lots of computers, both Mac and Windows, and NONE of them have HDMI. Desktop models all have DVI and laptops are now moving to Displayport, mainly because it uses a much smaller interface. The physical size of the DVI connector is big limiting factor on laptop design.

HDMI is a consumer interface. It's not used in pro video equipment, and for computers, it's primarily a way to use a PC as a 'media center'. (Yeah, like I want a PC in my living room next to my TV.) Everyone who has a LCD computer display (not TV) that uses HDMI, please say 'aye'. Anyone? (crickets.)

If you buy computers for any kind of business use, the idea that DVI is being phased out is laughable. I went to Dell's website and found ONE monitor under $500 that included HDMI, out of over 3 dozen Dell LCD monitors. I have over 100 LCD's at my company that support DVI or VGA, and none that support HDMI, so guess what kind of interface I'm going to buy?

Besides, you can buy a DVI-HDMI cable for $20. So you can always hook a DVI up to HDMI with no trouble. (You can also go the other way.)

Funny thing is, I can run my laptop's DVI output to a VGA adapter, plug that into the PC port (VGA) input on my Sony, and the result is stunning clarity. Good ole VGA ain't dead yet.

For what it's worth, Displayport will probably supplant DVI on the computer side of things (bypassing HDMI completely.) First, it's royalty-free. Second, it's much more extensible, and third, it allows for less expensive monitors at the same resolution as HDMI. Apple is the first major company to market using Displayport, and has indicated it will transition its hardware to that technology going forward. Intel was working on an alternative, but it's thrown in the towel and is supporting Displayport, so look for Intel to support it on the motherboard sometime next year.

Oh, and Vizio is a fine brand. I did not mean to slight it. I've spent many hours watching one and think it does a fine job. The only downside to less expensive TV's is they sometimes have fewer inputs than you'd like. Unless you are a videophile, the vast majority of TV's on the market perform very well.

Finally, for sets 40" and smaller, 720p is fine. Most folks can't see any difference even on 46" sets. Start getting into 52" and above, and that's where it really begins to make a difference. Same is pretty much true for the 120hz refresh. (And a lot of that is marketing, really depends on how it's done.) Heck, a good upconverting DVD player can take a standard definition DVD (480p) and make it look great on a 46" set.

If it looks good to you, and works with what you have, then that's all that matters.

tms

Please excuse me if this has already been mentioned...But...Don't forget about the extra charges your cable or satellite company may "provide" you with if you want an HD signal decoded for that fancy new TV.;)

Lets not forget that DVI doesn't have audio. You'll need separate audio patch cords for that. HDMI has audio.

Bought the 46" VIZIO and the Samsung BluRay player.

Love it.

Got the HDMI cables at a computer store, 10 foot cables for ten bucks each. Gold plated contacts. Work great.

You guys saved me about fifty bucks, thanks.

The 22" gateway and some other brand of lcd computer moniters i got a best buy had HDMI cables and the gateway computer i got had a hdmi and svga connectors out of the back.

Back