Have you seen the new $100 yet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kehoes23

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
This thing looks fake, and has a hologram strip which is next to his face, the money is getting more and more fake looking.:boat:

A couple months back I received my first new $100. The guy handed it to me and I grinned like haha now give me a real one. I noticed he didn't think anything was funny and then I remembered hearing about the new bills and kind of played it off like I knew all along. Later that day I used it at Walmart and kind of expected to get at least a second look but nothing, I guess those people see just about as much money as anyone.

All of you older bills are expired and you will have to send them to me for proper disposal....:wink:

I've been getting the for about a month or so from the bank ( Chase).

JD

All the new anti- counterfeit measures have been built into the new bills....multi colors, holograms, etc.

2 months after their debut, my banker told me they already had really good counterfeit ones coming in......so much for the new bills.....oh well.

Monopoly.jpg

All the new anti- counterfeit measures have been built into the new bills....multi colors, holograms, etc.

2 months after their debut, my banker told me they already had really good counterfeit ones coming in......so much for the new bills.....oh well.

"Really good" is relative. The advanced features don't need to be copied. Counterfeits don't need to be very good if someone accepts them. Most people don't understand what to look for, or if they do, don't take time to check. Instead, they use those silly pens to deface perfectly good currency, thinking they indicate the note is authentic. The pens don't work - counterfeiters learned a long time ago what the pens are looking for, and include it in their notes.

"Really good" is relative. The advanced features don't need to be copied. Counterfeits don't need to be very good if someone accepts them. Most people don't understand what to look for, or if they do, don't take time to check. Instead, they use those silly pens to deface perfectly good currency, thinking they indicate the note is authentic. The pens don't work - counterfeiters learned a long time ago what the pens are looking for, and include it in their notes.
They do not "include it" they "do not include it ": starch .

The pens have iodine. It reacts with starch on ordinary paper. US currency is printed on cotton and the pens just stain it yellow instead of turning dark from starch.

They bleach low value bills and print higher denomination fakes on the real paper, but the security thread and watermarks are wrong or missing.

All the changes are there to help prevent others from counterfeiting, but you guys knew that. Yes it's odd looking, but it still spends the same as all money...very fast!! I always liked the old 100's the way the numbers were notched at an angle in the corner. Just a little trivia can you name each person on all the bills from the $1 - $100,000??

Last edited:
If you have the opportunity to visit the place in D.C. where they print the money, I'd highly recommend it. You can buy some interesting souvenirs in their gift shop. We were told that the $100.00 bill is the largest US denomination currently printed.

The pens have iodine. It reacts with starch on ordinary paper. US currency is printed on cotton and the pens just stain it yellow instead of turning dark from starch.

They bleach low value bills and print higher denomination fakes on the real paper, but the security thread and watermarks are wrong or missing.

Yep - I just didn't want to be so precise and explain how people create raised value notes. My point was that if people look at the features, fewer counterfeits would be passed, and retailers wouldn't use pens that require the notes be destroyed.

Yep - I just didn't want to be so precise and explain how people create raised value notes. My point was that if people look at the features, fewer counterfeits would be passed, and retailers wouldn't use pens that require the notes be destroyed.

Why would you assume that using the iodine pen requires the notes be destroyed?

Fitness standards are much lower than average people or average cashiers or average bank tellers assume. Notes sent back to the Fed as unfit will often pass the test and be reissued. You should see what I get in shrink wrapped federal reserve bundles of circulated notes.

Time to move this thread over to the Where's George Main Forum.

I see the new $100 at work regularly as I count down the tills/drawers or safe.

I think these new bills are kinda neat looking. :)

The $100 is the largest bill in common distribution. There used to be a $100,000 bill which was used exclusively for bank transfers (had Coolidge on it, IIRC). The $10 & the $100 are the only ones with non-Presidents. The $10, until the large face redesign, was the only bill with a 20th Century device on it - the Model T parked in front of the Mint.
wait-does-us-paper-currency-really-perfectly-match-the-color-of-monopoly-money.jpg

"New" $100 bill? Heck, I haven't even seen the old $100 bill. Maybe some of you "richer than me" guys could send me a couple of old $100 bills so I know what to look for. Thanks.

Counterfeits don't have to be good. They don't even have to be close, remember this one?
https://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/bush-phony-200-bill

When the Euro was introduced, there appeared some novelty notes on the marked. They were made with realistic paper and contained features like the hologram and security strip. A lot of people fell for them. One might expect that folks pay attention when receiving rather large notes of 300, 600 or 1000 Euro (not legit denominations, as opposed to 200 and 500 Euro notes), but apparently it is quite possible to pay with "money" containing pictures of naked ladies...

Reinhard

While in the US a few weeks ago, I had a nice little stack of the $100 bills in my wallet ,I liked them !

Here in Canada they are switching from the paper to the polymer type bills.The only real pain is that they don`t fold like the paper/rag type and you need to be careful when they are new mas they stick together and there is a chance of over paying.

What was strange while in the US ,was recieving change that included pennies , as we stopped giving pennies as change......and damn glad we did !!

Paul T

While in the US a few weeks ago, I had a nice little stack of the $100 bills in my wallet ,I liked them !

Here in Canada they are switching from the paper to the polymer type bills.The only real pain is that they don`t fold like the paper/rag type and you need to be careful when they are new mas they stick together and there is a chance of over paying.

What was strange while in the US ,was recieving change that included pennies , as we stopped giving pennies as change......and damn glad we did !!

Paul T
We have not gotten rid of our one cent coins or rag dollar bills because of heavy lobbying by the zinc industry and the Crane Paper company. Also the Federal Reserve makes 2 billion profit per year by issuing one dollar bills and has been fighting against dollar coins for many years with lies. The GAO and Dollar Coin Alliance have detailed the savings in report after report and rebutted the Fed lies.

If you are a US voter, see the link below to read up on the savings from switching to a dollar coin. You can also easily click and send an email to you Senators and Congressperson in support. Rocketry supporting a Senator Enzi is one of the sponsors.

We have not gotten rid of our one cent coins or rag dollar bills because of heavy lobbying by the zinc industry and the Crane Paper company. Also the Federal Reserve makes 2 billion profit per year by issuing one dollar bills and has been fighting against dollar coins for many years with lies. The GAO and Dollar Coin Alliance have detailed the savings in report after report and rebutted the Fed lies.

If you are a US voter, see the link below to read up on the savings from switching to a dollar coin. You can also easily click and send an email to you Senators and Congressperson in support. Rocketry supporting a Senator Enzi is one of the sponsors.

Yessir ,plenty of power behind certain lobbiests ,some pretty damn powerful ones to say the least ! (saw a show on PBS about the corn and egg lobby....WOW)

It`s been years since we scrapped one & two dollar bills in favour of coins ,and I don`t miss them.

When ever I get back from the US (I go quite often to do some shopping as well as I have a US postal address for packages ,saves me a bunch on shipping ) I always have a pocket full of one dollar bills"green backs" that I just put away in an old ammunition can.I then go to my bank here in Canada and exchange for larger US denominations.

Sometimes when I have a few large bills, I lay them out and spray starch them, just for amusement, and as an opportunity for a 'teachable moment' that the pens don't work. The truly interesting thing is how often a pen is used, leaving a black mark, and the checker shrugs and takes it anyway without a second look.

Gary

I'd be happy to see the penny go by the wayside entirely, and the dollar bill replaced with one and two dollar coins. If you've travelled in Canada or the Euro zone, it's not hard to get used to. The only thing that bothered me was when I didn't make more of an effort to use up the high-value coins, and I ended up carrying too much weighty coin in my pocket. I don't really think that would be much of a problem if I was actually living in a country with this system, though. Generally, I don't use much cash at all. Almost every transaction I do is on a credit or debit card, and I almost never leave the house with a coin of any denomination in my pocket.

Sometimes when I have a few large bills, I lay them out and spray starch them, just for amusement, and as an opportunity for a 'teachable moment' that the pens don't work. The truly interesting thing is how often a pen is used, leaving a black mark, and the checker shrugs and takes it anyway without a second look.

Gary

But I would guess if the clerk refuses to take your money, the joke is sort of on you.

I personally love the dollar coins, and regularly use them. I hear the Fed has a glut, and there's no shortage for those of us that want to use them.
Dollar bills are, however, lighter and more effective as a replacement for dog barf than coins.

Back