3D Printing Hardware and Product Reviews

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Last edited:
added a couple items to the reviews. If you have any to add, send me a PM.

Good stuff. I printed my extrude in black polycarbonate. Better heat tolerance. It is just as good and cheaper.

Good stuff. I printed my extrude in black polycarbonate. Better heat tolerance. It is just as good and cheaper.

Feel free to move/hide the product review as per the others. I just looked at the Polycarbonate. Excellent temp ranges, something to consider. Although one advantage that I see with the CarbonX is the ease of printing, from what I read they recommend an enclosure for the Polycarbonate to maintain proper heat as well as ventilation. I am assuming it produces more gasses and or particles that may be harmful to your health over long term exposure.

Feel free to move/hide the product review as per the others. I just looked at the Polycarbonate. Excellent temp ranges, something to consider. Although one advantage that I see with the CarbonX is the ease of printing, from what I read they recommend an enclosure for the Polycarbonate to maintain proper heat as well as ventilation. I am assuming it produces more gasses and or particles that may be harmful to your health over long term exposure.

Concur. I love CarbonX. I have several prints with it. I just prefer PC for Prusa Parts. I added your post to the reviews.

Check out Gizmo Dorks PEI 3D Printer Build Surface. I've been printing continually this last week, both items big and small. Big objects with a large contact area on the bed still lift right off. Smooth finish on the bottom layer!
#GizmoDorks #3DPrinting
https://bit.ly/gizmodorkspeibuildsheet

Elegoo Mars. On of the plethora of small cell phone based MSLA machines on the market, but probably one of the most affordable and reliable (actually on sale on Amazon now for $209). Build envelope is 4.72*2.68*6.1inches. so not huge but if you cut up your STL file you can fit a good sized rocket on there. The software Chitubox is easy to use, and does a decent job of support generation. SLA is a different bird as you are printing with a crosslink able acrylic based liquid resin. There are some good tough resins out there, and you can blend resins to get the mechanical properties you want. I mostly use Siraya Tech Fast, and Blu. Both are pretty tough with Blu being the toughest. A 15% addition of Siraya tech Tenacious an elastomeric resin to Fast or Blu gives the resin more Impact strength.
Support generation is very important to SLA, so is venting closed volumes do to suction forces. You can hollow and add small vent holes in Chitubox.
Parts build at 50 micron layers, but the machine can go down to 25 microns. So you have minimal layer lines in your parts. At 12 to 15 seconds a layer you're still faster than an FDM machine.
Elegoo just released the Saturn. This machine has twice the build volume and a 4K monochrome screen for $400. They are trying to keep up with demand as they sold out in a day of release so good luck finding one right now.
The monochrome screen is a big deal. The LCD screen on the machine acts like a mask, exposing each layer to the UV cured resin. Under this screen is a UV light source. That UV travels through the masked image on the LCD up to the clear window on the bottom of the liquid vat curing the gap between the the previous layer and the window in the shape of the layer image on the screen (your parts are attached to a platform and build upside down) On the Mars this screen is repurposed from a cell phone so it is a color screen. The color screen has a bunch of filters in it to make it color. That filters out some of the UV giving you 15 second exposure times per layer. Monochrome is a black and white screen. No filters, so your layer times are 2 seconds. Anyway enough rambling. Great machine. Not much of an investment to get started and learn. Makes great parts. There is a learning curve, even going from FDM to SLA, but not horrible. If you can build a rocket you can learn this. IMG_20200629_204608681.jpgVID_20200703_182857408~2_exported_3029_1593817961244.jpgIMG_20200628_134639231.jpgIMG_20200628_174959230.jpg

Great synopsis Curlrup!!
I've been on a long HPR Hiatus, and have been delving into a lot of other hobbies, 3D printing being one of them. I've got a few filament printers and a Creality LD-02 SLA printer. The quality of the SLA prints is amazing! I'm running layer times of 9 seconds on the LD-02.
I'll be picking up either a Saturn, or one of the other new larger 4K Mono printers in the next month or so. The printbox size of the SLA printers had kept me away, but I finally broke down and had to try one. The one and only upgrade I've made to my LD-02, and I HIGHLY recommend to anyone is the Wam-Bam Flexible build plate. Makes it a snap to get your print off the build plate.

Cheers!

Ron
TRA# 6024

Great synopsis Curlrup!!
I've been on a long HPR Hiatus, and have been delving into a lot of other hobbies, 3D printing being one of them. I've got a few filament printers and a Creality LD-02 SLA printer. The quality of the SLA prints is amazing! I'm running layer times of 9 seconds on the LD-02.
I'll be picking up either a Saturn, or one of the other new larger 4K Mono printers in the next month or so. The printbox size of the SLA printers had kept me away, but I finally broke down and had to try one. The one and only upgrade I've made to my LD-02, and I HIGHLY recommend to anyone is the Wam-Bam Flexible build plate. Makes it a snap to get your print off the build plate.

Cheers!

Ron
TRA# 6024

He is alive, ALIVE!!

Creality has a new Smart printer, it's called the CR10 Smart. It MSRP is $499.00. It has true auto-leveling like the CR6SE but much larger.

When you look at the CR6 Max at near $799 with a build size of 400 x 400 x 400 and compare that to this one with a build area of 300 x 300 x 400 and plus it's wifi to boot, it's hard to pay the extra 300 unless you really need that near 4 extra inches of width.

*What is new about Smart?
Eight Key Features of CR-10 Smart:
Built-in WIFI function: Remote control printing anytime, anywhere
Low Power Mode: Safe and worry-free save energy and power
Intelligent Auto-leveling: Instant printing after initial auto-leveling
Dual Z Axes+Dual Diagonal Drawbars: Ensure stable and precise printing
4.3-inch Full-view Touch Screen: Intuitive and easy-to-use
Super Car Design: A combination design of aesthetics and technology
Ultra-silent Design: Mute mainboard/Mute fan Low-noise power supply
Modular Structure: 6-steps to assemble 8 minutes to complete.

Attachments

• CR-10Smart3DPrinter 1.jpg
    CR-10Smart3DPrinter 1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 13
  • CR-10Smart3DPrinter 2.jpg
    CR-10Smart3DPrinter 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 15
  • CR-10Smart3DPrinter 1.jpg
    CR-10Smart3DPrinter 1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 12
  • CR10 Smart Specs.png
    CR10 Smart Specs.png
    238 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Here is some info on two great Creality 3D printers.

Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro
https://www.creality.com/products/c...-fdm-3d-printer

Creality CR10 Smart Pro
https://www.creality.com/products/c...-pro-3d-printer

The Ender 3 S1 Pro is a 220 x 220 x 270mm printer.

The CR10 Smart Pro is a 300 x 300 x 400mm Printer.

Both have direct drive, auto and manual bed leveling.

Top Mount Filament holder with direct path to the print head, saves table top room:)

I own the CR10 Smart Pro and love it.

If you want a printer at a good price that already has all the upgrades, I would give the babies a good hard look.

Just got a Creality K1C. WOW I'm Impressed. Very accurate, Very fast, Love the carbon fiber printing. Just got done printing the parts for my favorite rocket.

Attachments

• 20240423_183157.jpg
    20240423_183157.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back