Half-Mean - Partial Scratch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

455 Buick

Reaction score
Last year my then 11 year old son bought an assortment of assembled old rockets, launcher, pad, and partial parts for $15 from a soon to be high-schooler who was getting into dirt-bikes and out of rockets. One of the piles of junk had the upper half tube and nose come of an Estes Mean Machine.

In a moment of boredom I decided to take the Half Mean and work it into a flyable D/E/F rocket. This will be my first foray into mid-power as the biggest I've launched to date have been BP D's and composite D's (My son surpassed me with an E launch in his Big Daddy last summer).

I'm not patient enough for a build thread, so I only have one picture from just now. Sorry.
-For fins I used 3-ply plywood that came out of a box of clementine oranges (Cuties I think they're called). I like the Nike Smoke fins so I cut them into a little bit of an off symmetrical similar shape. 3 of 'em. Attached using double glue method with Elmers Carpenter Wood Glue Max.
-Fin fillets are ugly, still figuring my way around pretty. Used Titebond Moulding & Trim.
-For motor mount, TopRamen sent me some 24mm tubes and a number of plywood centering rings. I wanted to pay but he said no way. Stand-up guy. Someone give him some rocket love... Anyway, I set the mount up with a motor block from a ring cut out of a spent BP D casing. I set it up far enough up to accept a BP E engine. If I want to run a D, I have another section of cut spent BP D that I will use as a spacer.
-Retainer duties were done with the top of a PowerAde bottle. Held in place with JB Weld Kwik Weld. My first foray into a screw on retainer. Exciting. I measured carefully and set this up with the earlier motor mount being up far enough for the ability to accept a thrust ring from a 24mm composite E and F.
-Launch lugs are 3/16" extras that I had from another project. Used a full length one at the fin can and a half length one at the CG for the heavier BP E motors. Messy fillet.
-I tried something different for the shock cord. I used a 3 ft length of Kevlar string, and a 4 ft section of 1/4 inch elastic. I think the weak part of my system will be how I mounted the Kevlar. I used a 2 inch section of paper towel roll and cut a small section out longitudinally (like one might make a scratch built coupler), used a lot of wood glue, and used it to hold a knotted section of Kevlar in place on the inside of the body tube kind of like a tri-fold mount. I am guessing the weak spot will be the Kevlar string pulling through the cardboard/glue. That's why I went a little long with the entire shock system (7ft).
-Chute ended up being a trashed umbrella I found at the baseball field where my son had practice. I made a 19" chute with a 4" spill hole, with shroud lines 1.5x the diameter. Used a swivel and attached it 2 ft from the nose cone.
-This is the first time I have been patient with any kind of paint and body prep. I have about 4 rounds of fill primer, Bondo spot putty, and sanding into it, and the more I do the more I want to get out the last imperfections. It's become addicting and therapeutic at the same time. I think I may use the Bondo to make pretty the fillets.

I think I have like $1.99 in this rocket because of the elastic. But I probably have a few hundred dollars of labor hours into it :lol:
Now that's why a tracker is worth it. I may get one for this $2 rocket.

Paint will come in a few weeks. Planning a very simple matte black & white USA/NASA rocket theme. How do you guys get your custom black vertical stripes so perfect? I am assuming it's decals or stickers? Or mask and paint?

HalfMean.jpg

Welcome to the hobby!

Its looking pretty good! Nice job! I should send you a box of my broken rockets that will ever fly again if they stay with me.

Fresh masking tape has been the key to good paint transitions. If your masking tape lives in the garage, its probably no good for painting.

Don't forget to post finish and launch pictures!

Jerome :)

Back