Ground and aerial footage from three cluster-engine rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
To lovers of scratch built cluster-engine designs:

We put together this 9-minute video of three recent projects my dad and I worked on together, the "3D" (cluster of 3 D's), the Saab military missile (cluster of 5 D's or 5 E's), and the Cantor (3 C's, tilted), along with some miscellaneous footage of other rockets. Of the three Saab launches, each was a failure in its own way -- especially the third, where all heck broke loose! We learned a lot from that project.

https://youtu.be/sAZwFI112cI

Julian Kwasniewski
NAR 95955

I have some clusters, too :) As of now just 2 are finished, both 3-in-a-row 18mm. I got a couple of packages of A8-0 for the boosters and B6-6' s for the upper stages...I don't like to walk far ;)

2 in start-up production: a BT70 based rocket with 3 x 24mm. The 3 tubes fit better inside a BT70 coupleing than just the BT. 2 sections of SEMROC BT70 andf a SEMROC BNC70 G4 cone. Fins to be determined.

The 'biggie' so to speak is a BT80 Little Joe. I have a Sunward 24mm 4x18mm motor mount that I'm adding 4 13mm tubes for a total of 9 motors. Little Joe's were multi-motored in the first place. They combined different motors for different tasks. The test capsules varied greatly in weight but they needed the same performance capabilities no matter the weight. Various combinations were made up of just the motor sections of Honest John's at 24", Motors from Nike Smoke 16" in diameter and Recruit motors 8 or 10" motor, I don't remember. :p

To lovers of scratch built cluster-engine designs:

We put together this 9-minute video of three recent projects my dad and I worked on together, the "3D" (cluster of 3 D's), the Saab military missile (cluster of 5 D's or 5 E's), and the Cantor (3 C's, tilted), along with some miscellaneous footage of other rockets. Of the three Saab launches, each was a failure in its own way -- especially the third, where all heck broke loose! We learned a lot from that project.

https://youtu.be/sAZwFI112cI

Julian Kwasniewski
NAR 95955

If you get a chance to see the movie "October Sky," your Saab disaster looks very much like a couple of the 'test failures' they had in the movie.

Supposedly the new-model Estes E12 is less prone to CATOs than the previous E9s but apparently they still happen.

Can you send us a picture of the BT80 Little Joe with the 9 motors? Or when it's finished? Thanks!

I have some clusters, too :) As of now just 2 are finished, both 3-in-a-row 18mm. I got a couple of packages of A8-0 for the boosters and B6-6' s for the upper stages...I don't like to walk far ;)

2 in start-up production: a BT70 based rocket with 3 x 24mm. The 3 tubes fit better inside a BT70 coupleing than just the BT. 2 sections of SEMROC BT70 andf a SEMROC BNC70 G4 cone. Fins to be determined.

The 'biggie' so to speak is a BT80 Little Joe. I have a Sunward 24mm 4x18mm motor mount that I'm adding 4 13mm tubes for a total of 9 motors. Little Joe's were multi-motored in the first place. They combined different motors for different tasks. The test capsules varied greatly in weight but they needed the same performance capabilities no matter the weight. Various combinations were made up of just the motor sections of Honest John's at 24", Motors from Nike Smoke 16" in diameter and Recruit motors 8 or 10" motor, I don't remember. :p

Here ya go...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...II-Test-Launch-Vehicle-Technical-Summary-quot

later! OL JR :)

Can you send us a picture of the BT80 Little Joe with the 9 motors? Or when it's finished? Thanks!

I will :) What I need is something like what Luke put up BUT for the Little Joe version 1.0 for the Mercury capsule. I think what I'll have to do is start a thread in Scratch section. Maybe someone has the info or can point me at plans. I'm pretty good with designing in VCP but I have no dimensions :p

Latest posts

Back