Gps only works 25% of the time?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeketrimmer

Reaction score
I am using a missile works t3 tiny telemetry system and an android phone with the rocket locator app installed, the device only shows correct location some times and the rest of the time the pinpoint shows at 0° latitude 0° longitude. This happened last year too, how should I fix this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303-155932_Rocket Locator.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303-155932_Rocket Locator.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240303-171713_Rocket Locator.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303-171713_Rocket Locator.jpg
    990.9 KB · Views: 0
Hard to say. You need to investigate. How many satellites are you seeing? Check the logs page. Are the NMEA sentences streaming regularly? Do they have data? Try another app, like GPS Connector.

I've been using a T3 for years and would usually get a couple of the 0 0 packets each flight but not enough to impact tracking. Some flights didn't have any.

I would suggest double checking the antenna placement on the transmitter and if you have a newer T3, the coax connection at the board and the antenna on the ground unit.

Is your transmitter located in the av-bay with threaded rods and altimeters? I put mine in the nose cone by itself and no significant metal or sometimes in 38mm MMT with end caps and taped to the shock cord.

I've been using a T3 for years and would usually get a couple of the 0 0 packets each flight but not enough to impact tracking. Some flights didn't have any.

I would suggest double checking the antenna placement on the transmitter and if you have a newer T3, the coax connection at the board and the antenna on the ground unit.

Is your transmitter located in the av-bay with threaded rods and altimeters? I put mine in the nose cone by itself and no significant metal.
It was in a plastic electronics sled in a plastic nose cone next to an altimeter. But it still does it on the ground right next to to the transmitter and my phone as well

It was in a plastic electronics sled in a plastic nose cone next to an altimeter. But it still does it on the ground right next to to the transmitter and my phone as well
I would double check the antennas. I believe you are getting properly formatted packets across Bluetooth at your phone, just with no GPS data so Rocket Locator reads N 0.00000 and W 0.000000 as a valid location and jumps the pin to that location.
I would get ahold of Jim Amos at Missileworks and talk to him about it.

Back