Got Linux?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Rustoleum do you use?

• Profssional

• Painter's Touch

• Stops Rust

• Other

• Profssional

• Painter's Touch

• Stops Rust

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04 at home. Very happy with it.
At work I have IPcop running in front of my Exchange server.
A bunch of Red Hat installs on HP servers.

https://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

Myth is great, besides recording all my TV shows... It cuts the commercials out for me automagicly. (no buttons to try to skip them.)
Holds all my music CD's
Holds all my DVD's (It downloads cover art and movie info from IMDB)

You can tie it into you phone system if you want.
You can tie it into a security system.
Get local weather
View your Net Flix queue
View movie Trailers from Apple
Find local movie show times

Control it all with a infrared remote.

Plus lots more...
Can you tell I think it is the best thing since sliced bread?
;)

I'd love to get a Mythbuntu box in front of the telly, haven't had any luck convincing Dad that it's a good idea though. Also a pity it doesn't do Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, but that's hardly their fault!

How well does the commerical skipping actually work?

It works very well.... Once in a while it will miss a commercial break.

Maybe one commercial break in 3 or 4 hours of recording.

I had it do a commercial skip when there was not a commercial once in 3 months.

not bad IMO....

Wow, Vista must be rather slow if it makes Ubuntu's boot time seem fast ;)

Not really - it's faster than XP (at least on that system). Maybe Ubuntu is simply running oddly fast...

Linux is ALWAYS faster than windows. When it looks it is slower than windows, the reason is that you've installed a lot of packets. Under windows you must download your software. On linux you mark packeges for downloading, and they're all in one place, so you simply don't feel how many packages you have installed.

With our new laptop, Dell threw in a mini laptop running with an Atom processor. It's on Ubuntu and works reasonably well. I just haven't had a chance to knock about much yet.

John

We have 7 machines here, including web servers, firewalls, laptops, and desktops systems, as well as various printers/scanners/fax machines.

ALL of them run linux and ONLY linux. Some of it is encrypted wireless connections, some are hardwired networking. ALL of it works, and works WELL.

We run all the usual apps, including Rocksim v.8 and all without incident. The kids even do their homework on them, using OpenOffice and Firefox.

I have my own "distro" of Linux called "shackstick", and I am a maintainer for the "ham radio program suite" for Archlinux. (And a few other goodies like Google Earth, a VERY popular program.)

Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too, but you need to get off the Microsoft railroad to do so.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch
W9YA
NAR # 12965

We have 7 machines here, including web servers, firewalls, laptops, and desktops systems, as well as various printers/scanners/fax machines.

ALL of them run linux and ONLY linux. Some of it is encrypted wireless connections, some are hardwired networking. ALL of it works, and works WELL.

We run all the usual apps, including Rocksim v.8 and all without incident. The kids even do their homework on them, using OpenOffice and Firefox.

I have my own "distro" of Linux called "shackstick", and I am a maintainer for the "ham radio program suite" for Archlinux. (And a few other goodies like Google Earth, a VERY popular program.)

Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too, but you need to get off the Microsoft railroad to do so.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch
W9YA
NAR # 12965

My old HP 3c SCSI flatbed scanner is on its last leg. It used to be a great scanner but it now makes lots of noise and has lots of light and dark streaks. I know about the SANE compatibility list for scanners but I was wondering what scanner you use? I'd like to have another full length scanner with good quality and USB, but most of what I've seen isn't compatible yet.

My old HP 3c SCSI flatbed scanner is on its last leg. It used to be a great scanner but it now makes lots of noise and has lots of light and dark streaks. I know about the SANE compatibility list for scanners but I was wondering what scanner you use? I'd like to have another full length scanner with good quality and USB, but most of what I've seen isn't compatible yet.

*IF* you are running "cups" (common unix printing system) and other stuff for the 'sane' compatibility, then all you shoudl really need to do is go to linuxprinting.org and look up the various printers for how easy they are to setup, use, and any issues of merit.

In archlinux I found the HP "all-in-one" my wife bought last year for a spare came right up with it's USB connection and the utils for setup were a breeze.

As a rule MOST of the HP stuff runs just great under linux. I have a 10 year old-plus Lazerjet 6L that runs well under linux on the old parallel port.

OH YEAH, one really cool thing about linux (well cups-based) printing. Setup is ONLY on the machine the unit that it is tied to. Everything else on the network will "automagically" know about any new printers and will be able to print correctly WITHOUT having to load any additional drivers. It only takes about a minute or so for the info to get passed around the network.

Printing is no problem. I have a printer with LAN capability. As for the scanner situation, new scanners are the problem. Almost every one of the old HP scanners that have been long discontinued have great compatibility, but buying a used one is like playing Russian roulette. The new HP scanners are showing non-compatible on the SANE website.

Printing is no problem. I have a printer with LAN capability. As for the scanner situation, new scanners are the problem. Almost every one of the old HP scanners that have been long discontinued have great compatibility, but buying a used one is like playing Russian roulette. The new HP scanners are showing non-compatible on the SANE website.

Well perhaps I was not specific enough about the "all-in-one" printer my wife bought. Here is a model that should be available, as new, and since it is an "all-in-one" it has a top mounted scanner.

< https://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Deskjet_F4180 >

https://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Deskjet_F4180

Well perhaps I was not specific enough about the "all-in-one" printer my wife bought. Here is a model that should be available, as new, and since it is an "all-in-one" it has a top mounted scanner.

< https://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Deskjet_F4180 >

https://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Deskjet_F4180

I understood, but I've got a nice printer and don't need the fax. I'm looking for a full size 8.5"x14" flatbed, like my old HP Scanjet 3c. Most of the all-in-one's are only 8.5"x11". If my printer dies before I find a suitable scanner, I might grab an all-in-one as a stopgap. Thanks.

Back